Headphones for metal/trance for under 100$?
Nov 3, 2010 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sgjackson

New Head-Fier
Trying to decide on some headphones for listening to metal/trance for under 100 bucks. Here's what I'm looking for:

Sound-wise I'm probably not sure exactly what I want, but I'd definitely like there to be some clarity to the sound (so I can pick out specific details in pretty dense crap, listen to a lot of tech death like Necrophagist), but also solid bass for electronic stuff like trance. If those two genres are different ends of the spectrum for listening I'd rather skew metal.

I'm not sure I have a preference for open or closed. I don't really mind if other people can hear what I'm listening to, but I'm not sure how the listening experience is affected by either.

Comfort is a big thing for me. I have a big head and will probably use these for extended periods of time on my computer.

I've seen some people recommend Grado SR-60i's for metal because they have a raw sounding mid-range which makes guitars more prominent, and a friend recommended AD700s, but I'd love some other suggestions because I'm a little outside my wheelhouse here.

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 11
The Grados won't have the deep bass you'll want for your trance and the AD700s hardly have any bass at all.

If you don't mind buying used or can swing a few more bucks the ATH-M50s are probably your best bet.

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 11
With a little bit of easy modifications the Fostex t50rp's are amazing for metal ( i don't listen to trance).  Their driver speed keeps up with with metal drums, and the mids pretty much make sex to my eardrums.  

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
With a little bit of easy modifications the Fostex t50rp's are amazing for metal ( i don't listen to trance).  Their driver speed keeps up with with metal drums, and the mids pretty much make sex to my eardrums.  

wow, im looking for some new cans, i will keep this in mind.

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 11
either the M50's or a secondhand hd25-1 II

Why Hd25-II? I think these are the best closed cans for both metal and electronic music. Fast, punchy, isolate really well (so noone complains about your taste in music) and easy to drive. M50s are more allround and polite.

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
either the M50's or a secondhand hd25-1 II

Why Hd25-II? I think these are the best closed cans for both metal and electronic music. Fast, punchy, isolate really well (so noone complains about your taste in music) and easy to drive. M50s are more allround and polite.

+1. Bump your budget to $150 and easily found from auth dealers on eb*y.

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 11
I've used both the sr60i's and the akg k240's for metal and would recommend them for sure. The k240's are more comfortable. The clarity is great on both. You really can't lose going either way.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 11
NVX XPT100. The M50s have no soundstage which in my experience (I listen to hardstyle, trance, and metal) really detracts from the experience of well produced trance. The XPT100 are neutral but a little warm at the same time, yet still have good treble detail, and they cost $80 new. If you had more to spend, I'd say get the DT770 Pro 80, that's my basshead can but it is amazing with metal and EDM alike. If you can find one used you might be able to swing it for around $100. I was able to do that on eBay.

Some other thoughts: my Q701 is my all-rounder that works well with all of those genres, and my K240S has some awesome mids and low mid warmth that I love for metal, but its sub-bass is very quiet and so it can detract from the experience of EDM quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back