Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 2, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #12,031 of 12,290
Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #12,032 of 12,290
CA-1a is at the moment the best for rock I have heard. The speed of the ribbon element does justice for guitars, drums and hi-hats especially. The energy is just something. Dire Straits shine on those. There is bass and it has impact, but for heavy metal I would like just a touch more so the bass drum would hit a bit harder, for bass guitar it has enough.
The down side for me is the need for extra block on my desk. Comfort is okay, I'd say same as with Arya, but nothing to brag about (I did not like Arya that much)

Aug 4, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #12,033 of 12,290
Well it's official. I've finally landed on both my open and closed end game cans. I have the 1st, non modded version of the Gjallarhorn for my closed, and the Vali Neoteric (JM mod) with stock pads for my open. Thank you Kennerton!
On a side note, has anyone tried the Sundara Closed with metal? I'm thinking I need a new set for the gym, and from what I've read, these might play quite well with metal. Sounds nothing like the original Sundara from what I'm told. Price isn't bad either.

I'm considering a Gjallarhorn for my office 2.0 system, sounds like it's perfect for my use case. How is it for headphones?

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #12,034 of 12,290
I'm considering a Gjallarhorn for my office 2.0 system, sounds like it's perfect for my use case. How is it for headphones?
Depends. I have the original version/tuning. The 2nd JM Edition supposedly has quite a bit more bass and a little better resolution.
I really enjoy mine. Moderately dark, yet not lacking in detail or resolution. I feel like I'm still hearing everything that the album has to offer in smooth, organic, and somewhat lush fashion. The bass is about as close to perfect as I've heard from a dynamic, just the right amount with good layering.
It's the type of can you can easily get lost in the music, without wanting to try and pick everything apart. It's a chill set with excellent timbre and tonality. Excellent for some late night grooving. Not for treble heads, yet highly engaging and musical. Plays well with everything, and I really like it with rock and light metal.

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #12,035 of 12,290
Depends. I have the original version/tuning. The 2nd JM Edition supposedly has quite a bit more bass and a little better resolution.
I really enjoy mine. Moderately dark, yet not lacking in detail or resolution. I feel like I'm still hearing everything that the album has to offer in smooth, organic, and somewhat lush fashion. The bass is about as close to perfect as I've heard from a dynamic, just the right amount with good layering.
It's the type of can you can easily get lost in the music, without wanting to try and pick everything apart. It's a chill set with excellent timbre and tonality. Excellent for some late night grooving. Not for treble heads, yet highly engaging and musical. Plays well with everything, and I really like it with rock and light metal.
I saw gjallarhorn and thought you meant the Schiit Gjallarhorn (https://www.schiit.com/products/gja...lSbwPaSC4gZwORXYBlVW7WhvvgYqCrzhoC_T8QAvD_BwE), didn't know Kennerton made a headphone with the same name.

They sound like a nice set, though.

Aug 7, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #12,036 of 12,290
Hi, my Grado SR225 is falling apart, so I need a new headphone for metal/rock music. I tried the Hifiman Edition XS, but the treble is killing me. I'm very sensitive to high treble headphones. The Grados were also kinda bright, but not that extreme on the higher end. What I also liked about the Grados, they're more "direct". The Hifiman sounded too far away. Couldn't really enjoy it. I did like the details though.

Any suggestions? How much better is the Grado SR325? The 225 had way too low bass for my taste. They weren't very comfortable too. So I'm not sure I'll go for Grado again.
I read the thread a bit, and someone suggested the Denons 5200 or 7200 (rolls off at higher frequencies), which would both fit my financial limit (around 500€).
One thing bothers me though: I never had closed headphones. How good is it for metal and rock?

And one last thing: I never had a headphone amp. Always connected them to my AVR. Is there any noticeable difference?

Aug 7, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #12,037 of 12,290
Did anyone try JM-Audio XTC for metal?

Aug 7, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #12,038 of 12,290
Did anyone try JM-Audio XTC for metal?
I currently am using the XTC open, beryllium driver with warm but detailed tuning. I honestly love it. Intimate soundstage, great slam/attack without any bloat into the mids. It’s not as resolving as some planars in the same price range but its still plenty detailed for me. A step up from the Focal OG clear, more natural sounding. Doesn’t have that metallic timbre that the Clear OG does.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #12,039 of 12,290
Hi, my Grado SR225 is falling apart, so I need a new headphone for metal/rock music. I tried the Hifiman Edition XS, but the treble is killing me. I'm very sensitive to high treble headphones. The Grados were also kinda bright, but not that extreme on the higher end. What I also liked about the Grados, they're more "direct". The Hifiman sounded too far away. Couldn't really enjoy it. I did like the details though.

Any suggestions? How much better is the Grado SR325? The 225 had way too low bass for my taste. They weren't very comfortable too. So I'm not sure I'll go for Grado again.
I read the thread a bit, and someone suggested the Denons 5200 or 7200 (rolls off at higher frequencies), which would both fit my financial limit (around 500€).
One thing bothers me though: I never had closed headphones. How good is it for metal and rock?

And one last thing: I never had a headphone amp. Always connected them to my AVR. Is there any noticeable difference?
Perhaps take a look at the Kennerton Magni or LSA-HP-3.

Aug 7, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #12,042 of 12,290

The D5200 would be a great and affordable pick regarding your search parameters.
Tonality wise, it sits between the D7200 and D9200, but not when it comes to technicalities, I'd say.

Depending on the output impedance of your AVR, a dedicated headamp will gain more control of the low impedance drivers, bc the damping factor comes into play.

It's up to your preference, wether you'll like it or not. :wink:
But I'd give it a try, nonetheless.

If a used one would be an option for you, there's an "optimized" D7200 in the classifieds by @zolkis , he talked about in the closed back thread, which sounds promising.

D7200 to buy

But beware that there're pros and cons with closed back headphones. :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back