Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 25, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #12,016 of 12,284
Absolutely zero regrets with the purchase, my main thing is to say that these need a moment to come to grips with what their design philosophy is as well as their price point...
Glad to see you finally got yours. Sometime before July 6 it appears. Still waiting for mine. Did they send an email with tracking code once it was shipped? I've received nothing from them.

What did you mean about the price point? I bought two for $299 total (way back in October?), am gifting one to a friend that I suppose now will be a b-day present since his is in August!

Jul 25, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #12,017 of 12,284
Which one is better for metal lcd-2 or lcd-2 classic?
I reckon either of them would be great for metal, I havent heard the lcd-2 (with fazors) but have the classics and they benefit metal by having a rich midrange and decent low end. With headphones on this level though you will need to make sure that your source equipment is of a good standard, has a greater than 1 watt output at 70 ohms, wire them balanced and make sure your music is well mastered, they are pretty intolerant (although more tolerant than lcd-x) of poorly mastered music (the dynamic range thing).

edit: the classics also sound great with Djent and keep up with speed very well as long as amplified properly.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #12,018 of 12,284
I reckon either of them would be great for metal, I havent heard the lcd-2 (with fazors) but have the classics and they benefit metal by having a rich midrange and decent low end. With headphones on this level though you will need to make sure that your source equipment is of a good standard, has a greater than 1 watt output at 70 ohms, wire them balanced and make sure your music is well mastered, they are pretty intolerant (although more tolerant than lcd-x) of poorly mastered music (the dynamic range thing).

edit: the classics also sound great with Djent and keep up with speed very well as long as amplified properly.
I've had the old pre-fazor LCD-2, along with the fazor model and the Classic, and of the three I prefer the Classic. It's a nice midpoint between the other two with the richness and low end you described.

Jul 26, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #12,019 of 12,284
@EvertonMint @SomeGuyDude
Yep. Thanks guys.
Im kinda pondering here between 2 options: There is an outlet product, basically new but not quite, LDC-2 rosewood with 2 year warranty for 620 euros AND warrantyless lcd-2 Classic in great condition for 500 euros... Which one would be a smarter buy for a metalhead? On amping front everything is covered.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #12,020 of 12,284
I personally like the look of the rosewood, and the warranty is good if there were to be a driver failure (happened on a pre 2021 classic revision i bought off ebay once), but then i havent heard the lcd-2's non classic. Either one would be a good bet though.

Jul 26, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #12,021 of 12,284
@EvertonMint @SomeGuyDude
Yep. Thanks guys.
Im kinda pondering here between 2 options: There is an outlet product, basically new but not quite, LDC-2 rosewood with 2 year warranty for 620 euros AND warrantyless lcd-2 Classic in great condition for 500 euros... Which one would be a smarter buy for a metalhead? On amping front everything is covered.
620E for the classic with warranty is really hard to beat. Much as I hype up the classic I'd probably hop on that as long as the extra cost isn't a big hindrance.

Jul 27, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #12,022 of 12,284
I'm a melodic death metal fan. I bought the Fostex th900mk2 a while back and liked them a lot but ultimately found the severe v-shape distracting.

What else would you recommend under $1.5k msrp for MDM with the same punch but more balanced mids?

Jul 27, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #12,023 of 12,284
I'm a melodic death metal fan. I bought the Fostex th900mk2 a while back and liked them a lot but ultimately found the severe v-shape distracting.

What else would you recommend under $1.5k msrp for MDM with the same punch but more balanced mids?
Focal Clear OG or JM Audio XTC with the beryllium drivers would be worth looking into.

A used ZMF like an Aeolus or similar, but I find ZMF to generally be a bit overdamped (sounds muffled in higher frequencies). However, they all have great bass and at least above-average impact.

I'd also recommend a HE6/SE but then that requires a powerful amp to go with it (if you don't already have one), so maybe not budget-friendly if staying under 1.5k total.

Unfortunately, there aren't many options that are going to satisfy on the bass/impact front coming from a TH-900. Not many headphones on the market come close, let alone, surpass the 900.

Jul 27, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #12,024 of 12,284
Focal Clear OG or JM Audio XTC with the beryllium drivers would be worth looking into.

A used ZMF like an Aeolus or similar, but I find ZMF to generally be a bit overdamped (sounds muffled in higher frequencies). However, they all have great bass and at least above-average impact.

I'd also recommend a HE6/SE but then that requires a powerful amp to go with it (if you don't already have one), so maybe not budget-friendly if staying under 1.5k total.

Unfortunately, there aren't many options that are going to satisfy on the bass/impact front coming from a TH-900. Not many headphones on the market come close, let alone, surpass the 900.

Thanks for those! Hadn't heard of Focal Clear OG, JM Audio XT. The HE6, I had already eliminated. I do not have a powerful amp. Using a Topping E30/L30 setup, which I can upgrade as part of this but not sure that gives me bang for the buck.

What if the budget (including better amp if needed) were $2k? Does that open up anything interesting?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #12,025 of 12,284
Thanks for those! Hadn't heard of Focal Clear OG, JM Audio XT. The HE6, I had already eliminated. I do not have a powerful amp. Using a Topping E30/L30 setup, which I can upgrade as part of this but not sure that gives me bang for the buck.

What if the budget (including better amp if needed) were $2k? Does that open up anything interesting?
I can't think of anything else even at 2K, specifically that maintains the same or similar 'punch' as you put it. Unfortunately, as I said there aren't many headphones that have bass impact that can hold a candle to the 900.. but it also makes the choice easier because your options are more limited. I would recommend you look at an amp/dac upgrade in the near future. I've had a lot of the Topping/SMSL stuff in the past and it's good and clean sounding for the money, but you can do a lot better.

Jul 27, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #12,026 of 12,284

Focal Elear, Clear OG ale better but Elear has more slam.

Aeon 2 Noire are nice option too.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #12,027 of 12,284
A used ZMF like an Aeolus or similar, but I find ZMF to generally be a bit overdamped (sounds muffled in higher frequencies). However, they all have great bass and at least above-average i
I find the Aeolus and Atticus to be a bit mid bass heavy for faster genres. For classic metal, they are both hella fun.

I think either the Auteur or Auteur classic would work well in that price range. The Auteur classic has better staging & bass than the OG Auteur, but the OG has slightly more aggressive guitars than the Classic and is not quite as warm.

If you find any ZMF to be too "insert your gripe here" they have so many different pad options that all have a dramatic impact on the overall presentation, that any perceived overdamping can usually be remied by a pad swap, or a tube roll, where applicable.

Jul 28, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #12,028 of 12,284
For anyone else waiting for their HEAVYs, they finally responded to me yesterday, and confirmed my suspicion that there was a QC issue they had to address. Supposedly all orders will be shipped by next week.

We had two weeks delay in our schedule due to the following:
1. We had an issue that required our engineering team to examine a minor issue and address it in the headphone firmware (software).
The issue is now fixed.

2. During shipping, we received feedback from backers about the outer box being damaged (The Headphones were undamaged). So we added another layer of protection for the outer box.

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #12,029 of 12,284
Well it's official. I've finally landed on both my open and closed end game cans. I have the 1st, non modded version of the Gjallarhorn for my closed, and the Vali Neoteric (JM mod) with stock pads for my open. Thank you Kennerton!
On a side note, has anyone tried the Sundara Closed with metal? I'm thinking I need a new set for the gym, and from what I've read, these might play quite well with metal. Sounds nothing like the original Sundara from what I'm told. Price isn't bad either.

Aug 2, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #12,030 of 12,284
I can't think of anything else even at 2K, specifically that maintains the same or similar 'punch' as you put it. Unfortunately, as I said there aren't many headphones that have bass impact that can hold a candle to the 900.. but it also makes the choice easier because your options are more limited. I would recommend you look at an amp/dac upgrade in the near future. I've had a lot of the Topping/SMSL stuff in the past and it's good and clean sounding for the money, but you can do a lot better.
If I were to look at HE6se what ~$500 amp would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back