Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 8, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #12,001 of 12,284
The D7200 and E-MU Teaks are the best options you mentioned.

If you're worried about treble then absolutely forget the Beyerdynamics.
Yes, these are going to be good choices. The 7200 is darker in nature, so no sizzling treble, where as the Teaks are a little more neutral. The NightOwl sounds pretty damn good too imo. With a little more info as to what you are after sound wise, I can help point you in the right direction.

Jul 8, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #12,002 of 12,284
I would like to reconsider my previous post.

I would like to choose a pair of headphones, but don't know if any of the ones with bio-cellulose drivers has any good soundstage if they are closed. I'm looking at the Denon D5200 and as a compromise, the Nighthawk. I would not like to have any overly brutal headphones, I heard the HE6 is very edgy and energetic, the LCD 2 as well. I am wondering whether the Denon D7200, DT 1990 or the E-MU Teak might be too harsh maybe. Don't know anything about Fostex headphones...what is the difference between them? Speaking of closed-backs, and I would like to ask how they perform in metal (and generally, in terms of bass) while also considering their big cup size if they have acceptable soundstage: LCD 2 Closed, Sundara Closed (selected only for value, I guess), DT 1770, Meze 99.

Also, while I'm at it, how good are the Argons, metal-wise and in bass? I heard them bundled with S tier stuff, that's why I'm asking.
I can vouch for the LCD 2 Closed being good for metal, having a great soundstage for a closed back and not sounding overly "edgy" - in fact, it's pretty neutral.

Jul 10, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #12,006 of 12,284
Resolution is good, to my ears. I mean coming from the Audezes and Grados it's gonna be a step down in a few directions but the multi-driver setup helps a lot. Once the app comes out for some EQ'ing I think there's a lot for people to enjoy here and I'd probably say they're the best sub-$500 wireless purchase that I've heard. Definitely better than the aforementioned Momentums, Sony, V-Moda, Bose offerings.

Plenty of quibbles but they're mostly in the physical design like the weird control system and fiddly buttons, and despite the bassy presentation it's more speaker-like than just a bassy headphone (again, the multi-driver setup). If you're looking for a mid-forward product that's putting the guitars up front with polite bass then out of the box these won't do it, but for someone like me who likes the rhythm section to get emphasis I can say that these are a winner as is.

Doing an A/B with the LCD-2 Classic which is about as unfair of a fight as I have with my equipment tells me the Heavys require a moment of kinda brain-calibration. Audeze headphones are known for warmth (admittedly "for a planar," definitely not compared to DD closed-backs), and the immediate feeling is that the Heavys lack any definition or clarity, like the whole thing is completely softened and almost more "distant" by comparison. Just for funsies I'm using a playlist with more power/thrash/heavy metal since the production there will be clearer than my usual and make it easier to pick apart. Going from the Audeze to the Heavys is a moment of "eugh this is all messy." So that's bad, right?

The thing is, once I give myself some time to adjust to what the Heavys are doing, all the details are there, just the drivers give them the ability to breathe while having a thick bass section. Slayer's Raining Blood for example has screaming guitars and Tom Araya's vocals cut through like a knife. So when I go back to the Audeze everything suddenly feels overly sharp and lacking in "oomph" and I'm turning the volume up to get that "standing at a concert up close to the amps" feeling.

I'm gonna give these a lot more time but one headphone I'm reminded of is the much-maligned Audioquest Nighthawk, only with a lot more space thanks to the driver setup. I think for anyone who likes to crank the volume and bang their head these are a no-brainer of a purchase. They're not replacing my other cans but they have that dumb fun feel that will absolutely always have a place in a lineup. Also right now since I have air conditioning blasting I need something closed back lmao.

Absolutely zero regrets with the purchase, my main thing is to say that these need a moment to come to grips with what their design philosophy is as well as their price point and then just listen and listen and they get fun as hell. I'm listening to Dio, Sabaton, Maiden, and Judas Priest right now and damn these all make me want to get up and party haha

thank you for posting these impressions. they genuinely help describe the overall feeling of the headphones.

I just have two questions, when you say "only with a lot more space thanks to the driver setup." I'm assuming your are referring to the perceived sound-stage. I notice from your photo the Heavys are closed-back but they have deep cups and I have a pair of closed back with deep cups and indeed they have better sound-stage than your regular closed-backs.
is the perceived sound-stage quite spacious like an open-back due to the multi-driver setup+tuning or still definitely not that big?

second question would be could you share your impressions on the build quality of the Heavys? I am ok with and quite familiar with headphones having plastic here and there, but any details would be appreciated.

I am currently in a position of considering the Heavys at $264USD shipped and if ordered - not sure how long of a wait. thanks.

(I also don't have a background of "High-end" headphones, if that needs to be said)

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #12,007 of 12,284
thank you for posting these impressions. they genuinely help describe the overall feeling of the headphones.

I just have two questions, when you say "only with a lot more space thanks to the driver setup." I'm assuming your are referring to the perceived sound-stage. I notice from your photo the Heavys are closed-back but they have deep cups and I have a pair of closed back with deep cups and indeed they have better sound-stage than your regular closed-backs.
is the perceived sound-stage quite spacious like an open-back due to the multi-driver setup+tuning or still definitely not that big?

second question would be could you share your impressions on the build quality of the Heavys? I am ok with and quite familiar with headphones having plastic here and there, but any details would be appreciated.

I am currently in a position of considering the Heavys at $264USD shipped and if ordered - not sure how long of a wait. thanks.

(I also don't have a background of "High-end" headphones, if that needs to be said)
The build quality is really good IMO. They're heavy and solid. There aren't any creaks or weak spots that I feel.

I would not call the soundstage quite like an open back, but definitely bigger than the majority of closed-back headphones. The bass-heavy tuning can close things in a bit due to the lack of "air" in the frequency response, but I do feel like these are made to give the feeling of being at a concert with the big amplifiers firing.

There is ONE small irk I have with the design though, and it's likely me being spoiled by modern headphones, which is the lack of "angle" to the earcups. They're straight vertical off of the headband and I dunno, I just prefer the angle that follows the shape of the ear.

For the price I think they're a great pickup. Definitely prove that multi-drive full size headphones are a viable design and I'm enjoying them as my "fun" headphone. ESPECIALLY for stuff like doom/sludge/death where having that heft give a sense of heaviness.

Oh and one last thing: they made the voice that says stuff like "power on" this big overly dramatic DEVIL VOICE and it's hilarious and I love it. The noise canceling is even called "HELL BLOCKER."

Jul 10, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #12,008 of 12,284
The build quality is really good IMO. They're heavy and solid. There aren't any creaks or weak spots that I feel.

I would not call the soundstage quite like an open back, but definitely bigger than the majority of closed-back headphones. The bass-heavy tuning can close things in a bit due to the lack of "air" in the frequency response, but I do feel like these are made to give the feeling of being at a concert with the big amplifiers firing.

There is ONE small irk I have with the design though, and it's likely me being spoiled by modern headphones, which is the lack of "angle" to the earcups. They're straight vertical off of the headband and I dunno, I just prefer the angle that follows the shape of the ear.

For the price I think they're a great pickup. Definitely prove that multi-drive full size headphones are a viable design and I'm enjoying them as my "fun" headphone. ESPECIALLY for stuff like doom/sludge/death where having that heft give a sense of heaviness.

Oh and one last thing: they made the voice that says stuff like "power on" this big overly dramatic DEVIL VOICE and it's hilarious and I love it. The noise canceling is even called "HELL BLOCKER."
thank you very much for answering my questions.

but I do feel like these are made to give the feel of being at a concert with the big amplifiers firing.
that’s interesting because I have a pair of Creative SXFI Air’s (over-ear bluetooth) that sound just like that with SXFI mode on. like I am listening to my music on a big PA system (bass also digs deeper and hits a tonne harder). for me it works for certain types of music and not for others. I think the difference though is the Creative’s also add a tiny bit of reverb to “simulate a room” but I don’t think the Heavy’s will do that and I would prefer it if there was no reverb.

regarding the sound I think I will be happy. as you described the warm/darkish sound is ok for me, I can often hear treble detail where others say they can’t hear any so I am ok with headphones which roll-off a bit up top.

the devil voice sounds funny, I prefer function over form so would prefer if it was just a beep/tone but it’s not a deal breaker.

the lack of "angle" to the earcups. They're straight vertical off of the headband
a bit confused as to what exactly are referring to. are you talking about the up/down axis of the cup’s movement? or the front/back axis (swivel)?

from this image on indiegogo it looks like it has up/down axis movement where the cups meet the yokes.
1689005069048.png

I think I am ok with just up/down axis since two of my current headphones have only that and I can get a good seal.
but you would think with ANC being a feature it would have both axis cup adjustment to give a better seal that supports more head shapes.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #12,009 of 12,284
Oop sorry, wasn't clear LOL

When I talk about the angle, I mean looking from the side. As in, the top of the cup to the bottom slants so it somewhat follows the shape of your head:

1689016893863.png

It's a super minor detail but I'm so used to big over-ears doing it that I wish these did lol

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #12,010 of 12,284
Oop sorry, wasn't clear LOL

When I talk about the angle, I mean looking from the side. As in, the top of the cup to the bottom slants so it somewhat follows the shape of your head:

It's a super minor detail but I'm so used to big over-ears doing it that I wish these did lol

I understand what you mean now thanks. yeah the HD650's you showed have that "forward angled bias" to the cups relative to the headband. I most commonly recognise it from the popular Sony bluetooth headphones (probably shows how little I know about headphones - I think of it as a Sony thing).

some of my headphones have that, and the others don't. I have one bluetooth ANC pair which has adjustable yokes so you can set any angle you want in that aspect, but funnily I prefer it straight down otherwise my ear touches the inside of the earpads (I have between medium to small ears, but the earpads are on the smaller side).
I guess it depends on your anatomy.

thank you again I understand you loud and clear.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #12,011 of 12,284
I would like to ask some things.

How suitable is the Focal Elex, Elear, Clear for metal? I heard anecdotes that they have nice bass in addition to nice mids.

Also, what do I lose if I don't buy the Clear, but instead opt for the Elear or the Elex? I don't know anything about the Elex, other than it has slammy bass, but the Elear would not seem to be much different from the Edition XS (by reading the graph and opinions) because even if the bass is nice, the mids are flattened, subdued and it has sibilant treble. What do you say?

Jul 13, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #12,012 of 12,284

How suitable is the Focal Elex, Elear, Clear for metal? I heard anecdotes that they have nice bass in addition to nice mids.

Also, what do I lose if I don't buy the Clear, but instead opt for the Elear or the Elex? I don't know anything about the Elex, other than it has slammy bass, but the Elear would not seem to be much different from the Edition XS (by reading the graph and opinions) because even if the bass is nice, the mids are flattened, subdued and it has sibilant treble. What do you say?
The Focals' are great for metal with the right amplifier. I'd say the Clear OG is the pick of the bunch.

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #12,013 of 12,284

Elear is good except for death and doom metal. DT1990 pro is a lot better on those (best sub 500€ death metal cans in the world). Lighter sub-genres Elear is a bit better, like Ne Obliviscaris. Both HPs need some modification still, radical eq and non-stock pads.

Might be a good time to pick up OG Clear for 800 now actually. https://www.son-video.com/article/nomade-casques-et-ecouteurs-casques-hi-fi/focal/clear

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #12,014 of 12,284
I would like to reconsider my previous post.

I would like to choose a pair of headphones, but don't know if any of the ones with bio-cellulose drivers has any good soundstage if they are closed. I'm looking at the Denon D5200 and as a compromise, the Nighthawk. I would not like to have any overly brutal headphones, I heard the HE6 is very edgy and energetic, the LCD 2 as well. I am wondering whether the Denon D7200, DT 1990 or the E-MU Teak might be too harsh maybe. Don't know anything about Fostex headphones...what is the difference between them? Speaking of closed-backs, and I would like to ask how they perform in metal (and generally, in terms of bass) while also considering their big cup size if they have acceptable soundstage: LCD 2 Closed, Sundara Closed (selected only for value, I guess), DT 1770, Meze 99.

Also, while I'm at it, how good are the Argons, metal-wise and in bass? I heard them bundled with S tier stuff, that's why I'm asking.
One thing to note on Audeze headphones (and likely other brands/models as well) is that they are very sensitive to dynamic range compression where, during the music mastering stage, the audio has been compressed to sound as loud as possible at the detriment of sound quality. So a track from say Scar Symmetry which (apparently has a shed load of dynamic range compression) will not sound (from an Audiophile perspective), as good as say Tool's 10,000 days where there is less compression.

Something to consider.

edit: having said that, I use my LCD-X (2021) for all my metal and they sound better than any other headphones I have or have heard. (Wired fully balanced to a burson soloist 3xp), but they are very honest to the quality of the source (Where the above applies).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back