Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 3, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #11,911 of 12,315
1266 easily get synergy with cheaper gear too, for example I listen briefly my 1266 with Fiio K9 Pro and sound very nice.

May 3, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #11,912 of 12,315
1266 easily get synergy with cheaper gear too, for example I listen briefly my 1266 with Fiio K9 Pro and sound very nice.
It's definitely easier to synergise than say a Utopia or Susvara, which are much pickier. But I think it's worthwhile getting the right amp for a headphone like that. I mean, I used to run the 1266 off of a Schiit Magnius and it sounded good, but obviously not the ideal pairing...

May 3, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #11,913 of 12,315
Thanks for the replies:! I'm leaning towards the D8000 pro limited but I will pit it against the Calderas. What would you think is a good pairing for either of these amp and / or dac wise, again with power / symphonic metal in mind?

May 3, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #11,914 of 12,315
Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #11,915 of 12,315
Amp >>> DAC when it comes to giving the output character for sure. The right tubes are just a chef's kiss.

May 4, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #11,917 of 12,315
Anyone happened to know if Monolith Liquid Platinum Balanced Limited Edition DAC is good pairing for metal sonically? Target has it for $383.93 (from $479.99 on monoprice.com), which could be stacked nicely with a Liquid Platinum Balanced Headphone Amplifier by Alex Cavalli.
That would be a good stack for the price definitely. Especially if you have planar headphones..

May 8, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #11,918 of 12,315
Chalk and cheese maybe but worth buying Grado 325x alongside my current Beyer Amiron Home or are they a step too far back? No plans to get rid of the Amiron Homes and I like what they do but always wanted Grado headphones. A little niche for me since my taste in music is mainly thrash metal and EDM

Source is Fiio K7, fed by either a PC or a Pro Ject Carbon Evo/AT VM95ML and a Schiit Mani 2.

Been a long time since I last heard any Grado. For what it's worth some 1000's would be out the question due to cost.

May 8, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #11,919 of 12,315
Chalk and cheese maybe but worth buying Grado 325x alongside my current Beyer Amiron Home or are they a step too far back? No plans to get rid of the Amiron Homes and I like what they do but always wanted Grado headphones. A little niche for me since my taste in music is mainly thrash metal and EDM

Source is Fiio K7, fed by either a PC or a Pro Ject Carbon Evo/AT VM95ML and a Schiit Mani 2.

Been a long time since I last heard any Grado. For what it's worth some 1000's would be out the question due to cost.
I’d say great complement. I haven’t heard the Amiron Home in a long time but i remember something more relaxed. The 325x are intense and emotional, not at all the treble-fest Grado is reputed to be. Full bass, full engagement, all round fine technically. EDM will surprise you on these, and metal is right at home, be it fast or slow, dirty or clean. FWIW I loved the Amiron Home and planned on getting them, and I also love the 325x.

May 9, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #11,920 of 12,315
I recently bought Amiron Homes and i find them terrible for metal... everything sounds muddy, congested and lifeless. They are great for slower music but even some faster pop can sound a bit underwhelming. I also find them very sharp despite many calling them relaxing. I'm thinking of getting some Grados but i'm scared that the infamous treble will kill me.

May 9, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #11,921 of 12,315
I recently bought Amiron Homes and i find them terrible for metal... everything sounds muddy, congested and lifeless. They are great for slower music but even some faster pop can sound a bit underwhelming. I also find them very sharp despite many calling them relaxing. I'm thinking of getting some Grados but i'm scared that the infamous treble will kill me.

Surprised to see this, not my experience at all but fair enough but this is where personal opinion will always matter. They sound typically 'beyer' to me and line up with what reviews say. I chose these over the 1990 for example because I didn't want a clinical sounding pair of headphones.

Don't notice anything muddy about them unless the source is. Its made me re-buy some vinyl records because certain releases sound so poor now. Others are clear as you like. They are considered 'warm' sounding, and I think I remember reading people think the Amiron's lack a bit in the upper-mid range, maybe that's what you are picking up on.

I'm using the old snake oil 4.4 balanced connection with a custom cans cable which sounds better than the standard cable, but I suspect that's the K7, like my Q5S the 4.4mm sounds considerably better than the other connections.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #11,922 of 12,315
I’d say great complement. I haven’t heard the Amiron Home in a long time but i remember something more relaxed. The 325x are intense and emotional, not at all the treble-fest Grado is reputed to be. Full bass, full engagement, all round fine technically. EDM will surprise you on these, and metal is right at home, be it fast or slow, dirty or clean. FWIW I loved the Amiron Home and planned on getting them, and I also love the 325x.

Thanks ill see if I can grab a pair sometime for a decent price

May 9, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #11,923 of 12,315
I might've been too harsh with my statement, i don't think i've given them enough time yet. They can sound great on some songs and very poor on others... Think it all comes down to badly produced music, which is apparently the majority of my metal playlist. They sound amazing for everything non metal tho so ill definitely keep them. If anyone has any suggestions for some cheap, fun and forgiving cans - open, closed, iems doesnt really matter... just want to enjoy metal again.

May 10, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #11,924 of 12,315
Heavys ..... where is it? What Axel Grell promised?

https://www.facebook.com/heavysaudio
Thanks for that link, I've been wondering too. Looks like they started shipping Apr 28, probably to the very first batch of Kickstarters. I don't even remember when I ordered mine, maybe December? Hopefully they'll come before June. The Latin root of patience is pati, which means suffering :wink:

May 10, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #11,925 of 12,315
Can say that the HarmonicDyne Athena is good. Spacious, and the bass and the treble come together nicely for percussion. Kick drums and snares sound great.
It's not the punchiest overall, but it has enough guts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back