Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Sep 20, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #11,506 of 12,302
Hi!

Recently I've got myself a Fiio K5 Pro DAC/amp and now I want to buy new headphones to go with it. Mainly I listen to hard/blues/progressive rock and heavy/power and progressive metal. For now I'm choosing between AKG K702, K7XX and K712 (if I could find used pair cheap). Also I have my eyes on Sennheiser HD 600/650 but it's a little out of my price range. Any advice would be very appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #11,507 of 12,302
Hi!

Recently I've got myself a Fiio K5 Pro DAC/amp and now I want to buy new headphones to go with it. Mainly I listen to hard/blues/progressive rock and heavy/power and progressive metal. For now I'm choosing between AKG K702, K7XX and K712 (if I could find used pair cheap). Also I have my eyes on Sennheiser HD 600/650 but it's a little out of my price range. Any advice would be very appreciated! :)

What country are you in? If you're in the US, there are several decent options on Drop, all under $300.

I've owned the AKG K7XX and Q701, both are good, but I wouldn't recommend them for metal. No fast enough, not enough impact/slam. Super comfortable, though.

Sep 20, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #11,508 of 12,302
Hi!

Out of those mentioned, I'd lean towards the Sennheisers.. but in that price range, I'd probably look for something used like a Meze 99 classic or any of the Fostex TH or TR X00 variants.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #11,509 of 12,302
Out of those mentioned, I'd lean towards the Sennheisers.. but in that price range, I'd probably look for something used like a Meze 99 classic or any of the Fostex TH or TR X00 variants.
The R70X is also a pretty good HP for metal, as it’s a touch dark and has a decent bass performance. A little over the budget still, I fear.

The Sundara are awesome too, but only with a decent amp and with well registered and produced music.

Oct 2, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #11,510 of 12,302
Hello there!

In the last year, I have been reading a lot to find an excellent closed-back headphone for metal (of all types) plus some EDM on the side.

I am looking for a warm, fun, detailed sound with a punchy base and neutral treble. I currently own HD 6xx and B&O H6 gen. 2. I like them both, but I would like something with a better slam and more fun, but not too bright in the treble region. I wonder if close-back cans even exist in my budget (approx. 1000 GBP, I can go a bit more above).

I was considering Atticus for some time, but many of you said it could be too muddy for fast pace metal. Now I am thinking about Dennon d7200, Beyer t5, Audeze LCD 2 close back and Fostex th900 mk2.

I will drive them from DX7 pro, little dot mk2 with updated tubes and Fiio BTR7.

I would appreciate any advice and other suggestions.:)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #11,511 of 12,302
I was considering Atticus for some time, but many of you said it could be too muddy for fast pace metal. Now I am thinking about Dennon d7200, Beyer t5, Audeze LCD 2 close back and Fostex th900 mk2.
TH-900 is the best of those you mentioned, you might find them a little bright though, depending on your sensitivity. I think people exaggerate reports of brightness from the TH900. Definitely nails the fun, detail, and punchy bass requirements though. ZMF Atticus being described as too muddy is a correct assessment. It's a fun, bassy, warm headphone, but not of the same calibre as the TH900.

Oct 3, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #11,512 of 12,302
TH-900 is the best of those you mentioned, you might find them a little bright though, depending on your sensitivity. I think people exaggerate reports of brightness from the TH900.
Thank you for your reply! That's what I am afraid; I can sometimes find HD6xx bright :astonished:, which was also why I sold the K712 pro. Unfortunately, where I live, I have no option to demo Th900 :frowning2:

Are D7200 far away behind them regarding sound quality?

Oct 3, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #11,515 of 12,302
What country are you in? If you're in the US, there are several decent options on Drop, all under $300.

I've owned the AKG K7XX and Q701, both are good, but I wouldn't recommend them for metal. No fast enough, not enough impact/slam. Super comfortable, though.
Thanks for your answers everyone. I'm from Russia (yeah, sorry) and in current situation our prices, especially on used market, are rather wild. I'm trying to find used Sennheiser HD 600/650/6XX on my budget, but they are about $300 right now and it's too much for me.

We have pretty good prices on Hifimans though, what are everybody's thoughts on HE-400se/i models for rock/metal?

Oct 3, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #11,516 of 12,302
Hello there!

In the last year, I have been reading a lot to find an excellent closed-back headphone for metal (of all types) plus some EDM on the side.

I am looking for a warm, fun, detailed sound with a punchy base and neutral treble. I currently own HD 6xx and B&O H6 gen. 2. I like them both, but I would like something with a better slam and more fun, but not too bright in the treble region. I wonder if close-back cans even exist in my budget (approx. 1000 GBP, I can go a bit more above).

I will drive them from DX7 pro, little dot mk2 with updated tubes and Fiio BTR7.

I would appreciate any advice and other suggestions.:)
Might consider looking into the Aurorus Australis. Great subbass, amazing timbre and pretty detailed to my ears (I listen to mainly rock/metal and some EDM/pop/rap occasionally). Might not be the easiest thing to get your hands on though because they're usually sold out on their website and don't come up too often secondhand.

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #11,517 of 12,302
Thanks for your answers everyone. I'm from Russia (yeah, sorry) and in current situation our prices, especially on used market, are rather wild. I'm trying to find used Sennheiser HD 600/650/6XX on my budget, but they are about $300 right now and it's too much for me.

We have pretty good prices on Hifimans though, what are everybody's thoughts on HE-400se/i models for rock/metal?
The HE-400 series is fine for metal, considering the relatively low price price and their generally good transient response. I've owned several of the variants (OG HE400, 400i, HE4XX and HD560), and they are decent, but have poor quality control and sometimes wonky treble tuning. (I've gotten used to the treble on their headphones but lots of people hate it.) I actually just got the HE5XX, and it's probably the best of the bunch, though I'm curious if it resolves as well as the 560 does. Unfortunately, I can't compare them head to head since it's the only over-ear I have, and I just sold my full size amp. If you're only able to get the 4XX, it's decent, but you probably want to pair it with something warmer.

I would see if you can get the He5xx, though it might not be readily available since it was from a collaboration between Drop and Hifiman. It's definitely better than the HE4XX.

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #11,518 of 12,302
Might consider looking into the Aurorus Australis. Great subbass, amazing timbre and pretty detailed to my ears (I listen to mainly rock/metal and some EDM/pop/rap occasionally). Might not be the easiest thing to get your hands on though because they're usually sold out on their website and don't come up too often secondhand.
I will check them out:)

Anybody ever compared E-MU TEAK to Denon d7200? Also, how is it worth o wait and spend extra $$$ for Denon d9200? Thanks

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #11,519 of 12,302
The HE-400 series is fine for metal, considering the relatively low price price and their generally good transient response. I've owned several of the variants (OG HE400, 400i, HE4XX and HD560), and they are decent, but have poor quality control and sometimes wonky treble tuning. (I've gotten used to the treble on their headphones but lots of people hate it.) I actually just got the HE5XX, and it's probably the best of the bunch, though I'm curious if it resolves as well as the 560 does. Unfortunately, I can't compare them head to head since it's the only over-ear I have, and I just sold my full size amp. If you're only able to get the 4XX, it's decent, but you probably want to pair it with something warmer.

I would see if you can get the He5xx, though it might not be readily available since it was from a collaboration between Drop and Hifiman. It's definitely better than the HE4XX.
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try to find HE5XX in our area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back