Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 12, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #11,401 of 12,322
Yeah slipknot don’t exactly sit atop the summit of recording quality… to put it delicately. A lot of metal unfortunately is rather garbage when it comes to recording quality (I’ve been wearing metal and death metal tees since late 80s / early 90s). As you go higher and higher quality headphones, the less accepting theyll be for most metal.

Jun 12, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #11,402 of 12,322
Thanks! Yeah only 2Fs I can find across France, Germany, Belgium and Netherlands are 100 more than LCD-X and 100 less for the vegan version. Pretty wild.
Yeah it’s tricky rn, 2C are worth their msrp in my opinion, 2F are slightly overpriced just on sound but make up for it with real leather and wood construction, X is a great value, and everything higher end from Audeze is over priced IMO. 2F is probably not worth more than the X but some people (myself included) really like the tuning on the new pads so that may be worth it to you. Hard to say. If you can get both from a retailer with a good return policy that to be able to audition both against the X, would be the way to go IMO. That’s what I did and wound up keeping the 2F.

Jun 12, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #11,404 of 12,322
Yeah it’s tricky rn, 2C are worth their msrp in my opinion, 2F are slightly overpriced just on sound but make up for it with real leather and wood construction, X is a great value, and everything higher end from Audeze is over priced IMO. 2F is probably not worth more than the X but some people (myself included) really like the tuning on the new pads so that may be worth it to you. Hard to say. If you can get both from a retailer with a good return policy that to be able to audition both against the X, would be the way to go IMO. That’s what I did and wound up keeping the 2F.

Checking it out, the only store that sells the 2F insists on keeping the seal intact for returns so no go there.

Anyone have a suggestion for a < $1000 complement for poorly recorded metal a la Slipknot? Doesn’t have to be Audeze. (I find the hifiman edition xs already fatiguing so I guess that makes me prefer a darker sound. The LCD-X only very sometimes get a bit too shouty)

Any ZMF near the 1000 mark that are fun and forgiving for crappy recording?

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #11,405 of 12,322
Checking it out, the only store that sells the 2F insists on keeping the seal intact for returns so no go there.

Anyone have a suggestion for a < $1000 complement for poorly recorded metal a la Slipknot? Doesn’t have to be Audeze. (I find the hifiman edition xs already fatiguing so I guess that makes me prefer a darker sound. The LCD-X only very sometimes get a bit too shouty)
If you can stretch your budget a bit, or do some bargain hunting I’d recommend fostex th909 for metal all day (not to mention all things electronic and pop) I think there are some refurbs on Amazon usually for around $1300, might find a used pair cheaper. They’re very fun, resolving but not to the point of being so unforgiving, and pretty hard to argue with how good they look 🤘.
If you go the Amazon route you basically get the audition for free as you can return them.

If you can’t stretch the budget, the beyerdynamic T1.2 (2nd gen) has been on my desk for years and fed me all manner of riffs from Scandinavian black metal to old school Buffalo / Floridian death metal. I haven’t tried the gen 3, but they’ll be much easier to drive (gen 1 and 2 need a lot of power)

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #11,406 of 12,322
The meze 99 classic seem good for roughage?

Jun 13, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #11,407 of 12,322
The meze 99 classic seem good for roughage?
the meze 99 classic went through a silent revision in the last few years where they changed the pads, resulting in much more elevated bass than the original revisions. Probably fine if you like a lot of bass but they were way too bassy for me for most genres

Jun 13, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #11,408 of 12,322
the meze 99 classic went through a silent revision in the last few years where they changed the pads, resulting in much more elevated bass than the original revisions. Probably fine if you like a lot of bass but they were way too bassy for me for most genres
Oof. Meze 99 look like gimmick based cans with overblown bass amounts.

I’m totally happy with the LCD-X (+ EQ bass shelf) with a want to be a little bit more forgiving/musical and sounding a little bit less like a tiny band in my head and more like it’s surrounding me. Which seems to be exactly what the LCD2Fs are going by peoples opinion.

I found a TH900mk2 for an OK price but looking at the specs it feels like an upgrade from a DT1990pro which sounds interesting but given I found the Edition XS (= mini-Arya?) too fatiguing that probably won’t fly.

Feels like I’ll just have to bite the bullet on the LCD2F to get a dark, forgiving, fast set of cans.

Jun 13, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #11,409 of 12,322

I’m totally happy with the LCD-X (+ EQ bass shelf) with a want to be a little bit more forgiving/musical and sounding a little bit less like a tiny band in my head and more like it’s surrounding me. Which seems to be exactly what the LCD2Fs are going by peoples opinion.

I found a TH900mk2 for an OK price but looking at the specs it feels like an upgrade from a DT1990pro which sounds interesting but given I found the Edition XS (= mini-Arya?) too fatiguing that probably won’t fly.

Feels like I’ll just have to bite the bullet on the LCD2F to get a dark, forgiving, fast set of cans.
They used to be really great! But they totally ruined them with the revision IMO

Hope you like the 2Fs!

Jun 13, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #11,410 of 12,322
Yeah, the 900 might be overly boomy, was pointing at the 909, the openback version. Better all arounders in my experience and being open the qualities beyond the visceral bass are able to rise up and be heard.

The LCD2F should be great (I had the OG rev 2 long before fazors, and then an LCD3 first gen that included the fazors and they were both lots of dark fun). As far as biting the bullet goes, as we say, “Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet” 🤣

Jun 13, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #11,411 of 12,322
what's nice about the 2Fs is that they have a relatively even tuning (they're actually not that dark, definitely warm tilt but still have a bit of air), so even if they're a bit recessed in the upper treble (which honestly you want for metal), it's pretty easy to EQ in a bit more presence for other genres to shine, but in my experience it's much tricker to EQ out harshness.

Jun 13, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #11,412 of 12,322

Have you listened to the 99 classic or is this your opinion from looking at them?

Jun 15, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #11,413 of 12,322
Update, added Kennerton ROGNIR, Thridi, MrSpeakers ETHER C Flow 1.1, Snorry NM-1, Sennheiser HD 820

2021-08-01-185546.png
I listen to a lot of heavy/death metal songs and have Ether C Flow. I would like to learn what amplifier you suggest for the pairs?

Jun 16, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #11,415 of 12,322
Hi metalheads,

still seeking for ideal setup for me. Now I have IEM Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk and Lotoo Paw S1+iPhone/iPad/PC and Tidal as a source. I love the sound of Blessing 2, but it is not so comfortable to put them in and out like 20times a day (in office), so I am looking for closed back headphones alternative to office and openback to home, because still I find the openback sound more natural. I tried Senn HD25 but the sound in my setup was not ok for me. Now I have Senn Momentum 3 Wireless as I got them for very good price and I am testing intensively. Today I ordered Philip Fidelio X2HR.

What would be your set of closed back and open back headphones in $500 budget (together). Mostly I listen to heavy / speed / trash metal, hard rock and classical occasionally.

Thanx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back