Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 11, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #11,386 of 12,322
Thanks for the suggestions. ZMF headphones are very appealing -- hope they are represented at the THE audio show in Long Beach next month so I can play with them. I'll keep an eye out for some of those vintage phones too.

I happen to prefer a strong clamp vs a headphone that just kinda sits there.
I'm not sure if ZMFs will be at that show or not. Perhaps @zach915m can answer that

May 11, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #11,388 of 12,322
Ok, thanks. BTW, the Lampizator Atlantic TRP is my 2-channel DAC, running with F2A driver tubes. Love it!
Oh nice! Helluva DAC! What tubes are you running in it? I like the mids on the Tesla EL51s, but theyre too bass light for headphones. I picked up a 596 rectifier to try and up the bass, but I havent gotten around to rolling it in yet w/ the Teslas

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #11,389 of 12,322
I'm not sure if ZMFs will be at that show or not. Perhaps @zach915m can answer that
I can't seem to find the list of who will be exhibiting. We won't directly be there, but there's a good chance we can get our headphones into the hands of an exhibitor.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 11, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #11,390 of 12,322
Has anybody tried the Beyer 177X GO? My library is mostly death/black metal. Just want a well built easy to drive of a laptop daily use closed back headphones while working. I know Beyer’s have really good build quality, from what I understand this one particularly is more on the warmer side than the usual Beyer bright sound which makes it very appealing. I prefer slightly warm neutral over detailed and bright sound.

May 23, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #11,392 of 12,322
Hi all. I own the HD580 and ATH-r70x. Wanted to go next level and get an Edition XS which had issues on arrival.. so looking around to see what is there from a reputable brand available in the EU (no ZMF. I want a good return policy).

I go for modern metal (EDM touches), EDM, your Panteras and Slipknots, Primus and other eclectic funky stuff.

Loving the soundstage, and light character of the Edition XS but having some problems with vocals as they feel off/lacking growl. The bass is OK but feels just ever so slightly out of reach of where I want it.

I’m eyeing the LCD-X as it comes up a lot, should offset some of the shoutiness of the Edition XS with the unfortunate loss of soundstage. Bass should be covered here.

Looking for over ear, open back. Running objective2 odac rev b. Willing to upgrade.

Price max would be the LCD-X at 1300.

Very open to suggestions!!

May 23, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #11,393 of 12,322
Hi all. I own the HD580 and ATH-r70x. Wanted to go next level and get an Edition XS which had issues on arrival.. so looking around to see what is there from a reputable brand available in the EU (no ZMF. I want a good return policy).

I go for modern metal (EDM touches), EDM, your Panteras and Slipknots, Primus and other eclectic funky stuff.

Loving the soundstage, and light character of the Edition XS but having some problems with vocals as they feel off/lacking growl. The bass is OK but feels just ever so slightly out of reach of where I want it.

I’m eyeing the LCD-X as it comes up a lot, should offset some of the shoutiness of the Edition XS with the unfortunate loss of soundstage. Bass should be covered here.

Looking for over ear, open back. Running objective2 odac rev b. Willing to upgrade.

Price max would be the LCD-X at 1300.

Very open to suggestions!!
LCD-X are great, I also wouldn’t discount the LCD-2. I auditioned both and preferred the 2. (X was definitely more detailed but I like the tuning and staging of the 2 better)

May 23, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #11,394 of 12,322
LCD-X are great, I also wouldn’t discount the LCD-2. I auditioned both and preferred the 2. (X was definitely more detailed but I like the tuning and staging of the 2 better)
Thank you. Good call. Really worried about the soundstage on the LCD-X which the LCD-2 seems to address. And people call out metal specifically when talking about them which is great.

My current can’t really have soundstage so the Edition XS was an eye opener. Just the vocals kind of suck on them, and to me they are fatiguing after a while, too hollow shouty.

Jun 3, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #11,395 of 12,322
Two questions:

Which hifiman is the best for heavy metal? Susvara > HEKV2 > Arya > Ananda > Sundara > He-400? The more expensive the better? Or is the sound signature from a special model the best for metal music?
Is the Monolith M1570 the better Audeze LCD-2?

i actually can have (or can test) HD560s, R70x, TH-610, D-5000 but I'd like to try magnetostatic headphones.

Jun 3, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #11,396 of 12,322
Thanks. I read reviews of th900 and they say its bright and Youtuber Joshua Valor says it is piercing sharp, unuseable. This thread also seems to think its good for classic/hard rock and grandfather metal, but no for more extreme type of material. I also read that the hinge is terrible and will break if you drop them.

Im still not discarding it yet, Im seeing a pretty good option on used market.
It's not bright at all. It has hot treble, but the can is decidedly bassy and V shaped, but pretty far from bright. That said it's not a really fast can so all that bass has a hard time keeping up pace with metal. The 909 did better. Better still my fave for metal is the T1.2, but they need some current to hit good volume levels, youd save on a used pair for sure though.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #11,397 of 12,322
Two questions:

Which hifiman is the best for heavy metal? Susvara > HEKV2 > Arya > Ananda > Sundara > He-400? The more expensive the better? Or is the sound signature from a special model the best for metal music?
Is the Monolith M1570 the better Audeze LCD-2?

i actually can have (or can test) HD560s, R70x, TH-610, D-5000 but I'd like to try magnetostatic headphones.
I actually think the 2020 Sundara are better than the Ananda, cause it seems to have more punch (based on reviews). The HEKv2 are very similar to the Arya Stealth (which I have, along with the Sundara) but better, tho it has very similar characteristics.

I think Sundara is a very good HP for metal, as long as it is well produced and recorded. Arya just evolves that, they share a pretty similar FR and timbre, Arya Stealth has more bass (impact is similar, a bit better I think), the soundstage is quite larger and it will reveal more details (hence I don't listen to poorly produced music anymore, almost).

For progressive metal Arya SE is just perfect, Stuff like Devin Townsend or Opeth came to life and gives you even more nuances. Live music also works pretty well.
But HiFiMan headphones made me listen to things like Dream Theater less and less, because of their poor production (not talking about the quality of the performance or the music, just production stuff like mixing, etc).
i don't think HiFiMan stuff is a nice fit for trash or more "raw" metal genre.

Jun 12, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #11,398 of 12,322
So I've been giving the LCD-X a try. Love them on many genres, even without EQ. One thing that has become very clear, if the recording is done well these shine - if its a recording that doesn't agree with me it becomes very clear.

EDM is fantastic to me on these. Stuff like Heilung.. god yeah.. love that deep ear massage.

However, trying out, say, Slipknot - We Are Not Your Kind album sounds like total ass. Corey is sounding way too far away, bass doesn't come through, everything falls flat. (as if I'd be expecting a lot of movement and dynamics, but it all stays stuck 'underneath' somewhere.. no 'holographic' element to it, just a wall of noise.. I'm describing Slipknot aren't I.. in any case, I'm not 'feeling' it here)

Just not the right headphones for these? Continue on with EQ? (or is this just Slipknot lol)

Been looking at the LCD2C next, sounds like it is more forgiving and a bit more 'musical'? Anyone have a take on this? (I've been looking to find the LCD2F, but in EU its pretty hard to get, or overpriced.. so would prefer LCD2C in that sense, unless someone tells me they're too good to pass up on)

Or am I just looking at the wrong set here?

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #11,399 of 12,322
So I've been giving the LCD-X a try. Love them on many genres, even without EQ. One thing that has become very clear, if the recording is done well these shine - if its a recording that doesn't agree with me it becomes very clear.

EDM is fantastic to me on these. Stuff like Heilung.. god yeah.. love that deep ear massage.

However, trying out, say, Slipknot - We Are Not Your Kind album sounds like total ass. Corey is sounding way too far away, bass doesn't come through, everything falls flat. (as if I'd be expecting a lot of movement and dynamics, but it all stays stuck 'underneath' somewhere.. no 'holographic' element to it, just a wall of noise.. I'm describing Slipknot aren't I.. in any case, I'm not 'feeling' it here)

Just not the right headphones for these? Continue on with EQ? (or is this just Slipknot lol)

Been looking at the LCD2C next, sounds like it is more forgiving and a bit more 'musical'? Anyone have a take on this? (I've been looking to find the LCD2F, but in EU its pretty hard to get, or overpriced.. so would prefer LCD2C in that sense, unless someone tells me they're too good to pass up on)

Or am I just looking at the wrong set here?
Imo the lcd 2 is much better for less well produced metal. The 2C is fine but noticeable less detailed than the 2f, and not as nice of a tonality either. It’ll be a big step down from the X while the 2F is a small/medium step down detail wise. I think it’s worth getting the 2F if you can but I would still give the 2C (maybe with some eq) a shot if that’s all you can get

Jun 12, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #11,400 of 12,322
Imo the lcd 2 is much better for less well produced metal. The 2C is fine but noticeable less detailed than the 2f, and not as nice of a tonality either. It’ll be a big step down from the X while the 2F is a small/medium step down detail wise. I think it’s worth getting the 2F if you can but I would still give the 2C (maybe with some eq) a shot if that’s all you can get
Thanks! Yeah only 2Fs I can find across France, Germany, Belgium and Netherlands are 100 more than LCD-X and 100 less for the vegan version. Pretty wild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back