Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 23, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #11,236 of 12,322
Have you owned both? I had the Teaks, but ended up selling them. I thought they were pretty dang good, but not enough sub and mid bass for me. In fact, they were bass shy imo. Yet most people think it's great, so I wonder if it was a seal issue for me. I don't like the stock pad style. I felt like they sat more on my ears than over them.
Aside from the Ebony having greater bass quantity, did you notice much else different? I've been told that the mids are a touch more recessed, and there is a peak somewhere in the upper mids / lower treble. I should have tried some pad swaps with the Teaks perhaps. I'm curious how the TH900 pads from Dekoni sound with them.
I haven't owned both, but I own and have heard enough Foster Biodyna headphones to know that they are all really good. I use Dekoni sheepskin pads on my 900 and it sounds great. Keeps the stock sound, but helps lower the occasional sibilance you can get with the stock pads. If I were you, I would look for a used TH-600. It's the best value and it sounds about 85-90% as good as the 900 for a fraction of the price. Then buy a few pairs of pads (610, Dekoni sheepskin/perforated, Yaxi leather) and see which one works best.

Jan 23, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #11,237 of 12,322
I haven't owned both, but I own and have heard enough Foster Biodyna headphones to know that they are all really good. I use Dekoni sheepskin pads on my 900 and it sounds great. Keeps the stock sound, but helps lower the occasional sibilance you can get with the stock pads. If I were you, I would look for a used TH-600. It's the best value and it sounds about 85-90% as good as the 900 for a fraction of the price. Then buy a few pairs of pads (610, Dekoni sheepskin/perforated, Yaxi leather) and see which one works best.
I was under the impression that the 600 was rather sibilant, similar to the 900?

Jan 24, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #11,239 of 12,322
Hey guys, anyone tried the new Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X? I had tried the 770 80ohms earlier with death/black and they handled everything very well just felt the treble could be slightly smooth especially with old school stuff but the bass was very well controlled even for technical death.
I’ve read the updated 700x is slightly more warmer and smoother in comparison which is everything I need. Just not sure if the extra bass affects the attack/decay speed. I am hoping someone here tried out the new 700’s, anyone?

Jan 24, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #11,240 of 12,322
I've tried the 909. I personally would just stick to the 900. Also Spotify and Tidal are the best streaming platforms for metal. I've tried all the other streaming services. Most of them lack a lot of bands that Spotify and Tidal have. Qobuz is alright, but it depends on how obscure your taste is. I like some obscure bands so I like Spotify and Tidal. If you mainly like the more popular and known bands .. then pick whichever..
Hello, why Spotify for metal since it has compressed MP3 format ? So all in all, you prefer Tidal the best for metal ? From what I heard, metal and rock has very poor quality recordings. Am still doing research on that.

Jan 24, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #11,241 of 12,322
I want lossless so I have Tidal and Qobuz. (And Spotify for the family..😊). Yes, there are more metal albums on Tidal than Qobuz, but Qobuz has been catching up, and for new releases it is now quite rare that it appears on Tidal but not on Qobuz.

EDIT: sometimes the reverse is true. I was looking for the first album by the Scorpions (not metal), and it's on Qobuz but not on Tidal..
Damn... so meaning is like must as well we have to get best of both world for the offerings.... Quboz and Tidal ! )

Jan 24, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #11,242 of 12,322
It's the opposite NickT23.
For me across the songs I have chosen, I prefer qobuz, sorry if it was not clear.
metal songs : Insomnium, In Mourning, Amon Amarth, Nightwish, Iron Maiden, Joe Satriani
classic songs : Take Five from Brubeck,
modern songs : 3000 miles away from Champs, Devil Tears from Angus and Julian Stone, and few songs from my country of origin, Reunion island, Ziskakan, Oussanoussava, and from Mauritius, a gem : Grander nu l'ame, from L.M. Bavajee (album ZULU).
So it was not only for metal:)
So if we take just sound quality FLAC alone, which one do you prefer between Tidal and Quboz ? Am subscribing one myself and its so hard to choose !

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #11,243 of 12,322
Hello, why Spotify for metal since it has compressed MP3 format ? So all in all, you prefer Tidal the best for metal ? From what I heard, metal and rock has very poor quality recordings. Am still doing research on that.
Don't get too pedantic about it all. Just listen to the music! \m/ \m/

Jan 24, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #11,247 of 12,322
Yea that is the reason why we go for Spotify. Huge chunk of library and better interface. Do you find the MP3 compressed for metal decent though ? Maybe can take few tracks from spotify and post here.
It's a fairly minor difference but is more noticeable with higher-end headphones. What headphones are you using?

Jan 24, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #11,248 of 12,322
It's a fairly minor difference but is more noticeable with higher-end headphones. What headphones are you using?
My headphone cannot be compare to your calibre. Mine is X1 and K240 Sexttet. Am getting new headphone soon and a dac.

Are you sure MP3 and FLAC a minor difference to you for Tidal and Spotify ? I have to admit some music sound pretty good regardless the genre for Spotify.

Jan 24, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #11,249 of 12,322
If you dont listen to compressed recording and not really an all rounder then its fine. Fostex TH X-00 or 600 is superior in sound and performance but where it lacks towards DT 770 is being an all rounder (movies, monitoring, music, gaming, works well for multimedia and compressed recording) as well as soft velour pads, lighter and replaceable built materials. Easily recommended.
Yeah I only have FLACs and I only need them for music and the occasional TV-Series while being stuck at the Airport

Users who are viewing this thread

Back