Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Nov 2, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #10,846 of 12,302
Btw for all Mastodon lovers. Do you hear any difference between last album's Hi-res version and the normal CD version? I'm having a discussion with two fellow metalheads and they say the Hi-Res sounds better but when I blind tested I couldn't mostly tell. Maybe in some passages the bass reverb sounded more natural but... I would love to have some opinions here.
They argue the Hi-Res removes a bit of the wall of sound factor and the guitars sounding deeper, adding more breathing to the overall sound. It's not a very well produced album and it sounds loud but it's still pretty enjoyable and I'm liking it a lot, yet this Hi-Res version thing us bugging me.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #10,849 of 12,302
I think Mastondon last album is their best recorded album, so the previous ones ...

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #10,851 of 12,302
Nov 5, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #10,853 of 12,302
The new headphones have arrived! Thanks again to everyone who offered suggestions.

I'll write some impressions after I spend more time with them. A little teaser for now....

P1010011.JPG

Nov 5, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #10,854 of 12,302
Actually I use the AT Ath-R70x, Denon D-5000 & Fostex TH-610. I think they are very good for rock music. But what would be the next step? Utopia & HEKV2 seem to be too bright and they dissect the music too much. Is the Clear the better choice or what could be an upgrade to these three headphones?

Nov 5, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #10,855 of 12,302
Actually I use the AT Ath-R70x, Denon D-5000 & Fostex TH-610. I think they are very good for rock music. But what would be the next step? Utopia & HEKV2 seem to be too bright and they dissect the music too much. Is the Clear the better choice or what could be an upgrade to these three headphones?
Rather broad range of options. Budget and open or closed will narrow it down.

Nov 5, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #10,856 of 12,302
It can be a cheap one but also a headphone which is more expensive. If i haven't got the money I'll save it until I am able to buy it and open or closed is not the question. I like both of these constructions but for a person which is alone in a room an open can makes more sense.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #10,857 of 12,302
It can be a cheap one but also a headphone which is more expensive. If i haven't got the money I'll save it until I am able to buy it and open or closed is not the question. I like both of these constructions but for a person which is alone in a room an open can makes more sense.
Of my open backs, the Abyss is the best for metal, followed by the LCD 4, I think. All my closed backs work well for metal, each with a different signature. I generally prefer open backs. Closed backs are used around others.

Nov 5, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #10,859 of 12,302
Hi all, looking for a budget recommendation under $400.
I listen to mainly death metal, some tech, some doom.
I'm currently rocking the Grado SR-60e which sound pretty good to me but I'm sure I can do better.
I listen on my iPhone/laptop a lot but am looking into a better setup as I sit at my desk all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back