Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 6, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #10,756 of 12,322
Hi! I need an advice/help. Momental i own a Philips fidelio x1s and a grado 80e. Would like to buy an upgrade headphone. Budget is around 350$. I prefer open cans, listen mainly to thrash metal, but also to some oldschool Hard Rock/glam & heavy metal. I have the ifi zen dac and a Hiby fd3 for dac/amp. Any suggestions? Thx

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #10,757 of 12,322
Hi! I need an advice/help. Momental i own a Philips fidelio x1s and a grado 80e. Would like to buy an upgrade headphone. Budget is around 350$. I prefer open cans, listen mainly to thrash metal, but also to some oldschool Hard Rock/glam & heavy metal. I have the ifi zen dac and a Hiby fd3 for dac/amp. Any suggestions? Thx
350$ Sundara or Sennheiser HD 600

Oct 7, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #10,758 of 12,322
Would like to buy an upgrade headphone. Budget is around 350$. I prefer open cans, listen mainly to thrash metal, but also to some oldschool Hard Rock/glam & heavy metal.

In my opinion, the Grado Hemp ($420) are the best headphones under $500 for Trash Metal and Hard Rock.

Oct 8, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #10,760 of 12,322
In my opinion, the Grado Hemp ($420) are the best headphones under $500 for Trash Metal and Hard Rock.

I haven't heard these, but my personal favorite for heavy genres is Fostex TH900.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 8, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #10,761 of 12,322
I had the Grado SR-325X which are decent for metal music with EQ. The Sony MDR 1AM2, in addition to comfort, sounds better. I always use the equalizer because in metal music l it is easy to find badly recorded tracks. The 1AM2 it self is very well tuned to modern Metal. The 1AM2 manages to work surprising miracles even with 80's Metal, where the bass drum was almost non-existent. Electric guitars if well recorded are well present and faithfully represented (not submissive). I recommend them before diving into the world of expensive and sometimes not quite satisfying headphones.

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #10,763 of 12,322
I've been really enjoying the DT1990s with a Bottlehead Crack for hard rock, progressive, and metal. Its very dynamic and lively. Caveat I do eq the 8khz spike in treble a good bit. With the eq and running on the Crack its excellent.

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #10,765 of 12,322
Just a friendly reminder that you should be saving to buy either a Fostex TH-900 (if you don't own it already) or if you prefer a flat/neutral response, then a Hifiman HE-6/SE and a powerful amp. That's the best out there for metal and rock unless you want to go for the AB-1266, but that's a whole other discussion.

For those on a tight budget, be on the lookout for a used Fostex TH-600 and a decent portable amp (doesn't need much power and will run well from a phone). The Hifiman Sundara is also decent, but needs a more powerful amp than the Fostex and isn't on the same level either...

\m/ \m/

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #10,766 of 12,322
Just a friendly reminder that you should be saving to buy either a Fostex TH-900 (if you don't own it already) or if you prefer a flat/neutral response, then a Hifiman HE-6/SE and a powerful amp. That's the best out there for metal and rock unless you want to go for the AB-1266, but that's a whole other discussion.

For those on a tight budget, be on the lookout for a used Fostex TH-600 and a decent portable amp (doesn't need much power and will run well from a phone). The Hifiman Sundara is also decent, but needs a more powerful amp than the Fostex and isn't on the same level either...

\m/ \m/
I've had several Th900 over the last few years and it was never my favorite for metal, whether it was with stock pads or different ones. Different strokes I guess, ymmv.

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #10,767 of 12,322
I've had several Th900 over the last few years and it was never my favorite for metal, whether it was with stock pads or different ones. Different strokes I guess, ymmv.
Yeah 100%, that's why I also recommend the HE-6 as the alternative. Some people just won't ever like the V-shaped sound. Both the Fostex and the Abyss are V-shaped. If you don't like the Fostex, you won't like the Abyss either most likely. But, in my opinion, they are the BEST headphones money can buy for metal listening. Kennerton is another option in the high-end but I find them boring. Would like to try their new closed-back Rognir though...

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #10,768 of 12,322
My pair of Philphones will arrive in a few weeks. I'll let ya'll know what I think. I've never had biodyna foster before so it will be interesting. I've decided to downgrade from my Borealis due to neck issues, the Philphones are basically an improved open back x00 in a audio technica ad700x chassi from what I've been told. See you in a few weeks.

Oct 23, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #10,769 of 12,322
Hey all,

Wondering what you would recommend for a closed back headphone in the $500-$1000 range. It would be paired with my Schiit Bifrost and Lyr 3. Closed back is a must so I can listen while studying late at night.

My only experience with high-end headphones are the ZMF Atticus which I have and am real happy with. I need to send them back to get a driver repaired and am thinking maybe I want to try something different. I have the Meze 99 Classics too which I only use for portable listening. They are nice but don't really compare to the Atticus.

I listen many kinds of metal, particularly Death (the more melodic stuff), Doom, Gothic, Symphonic, Avant-Garde, and some Progressive. Some of my favorite bands are Opeth, Agalloch, Katatonia, Gojira, Novembre, Hamferd/Iotunn, Tool, Megadeth, Arcturus, A Forest of Stars, Ayreon, Thy Catafalque, Ulver, the list goes on....

I would love to try a planar magnetic but the options are limited for closed back. Also important is that they comfortable and non-fatiguing for longer listening sessions.

Thoughts?

Oct 23, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #10,770 of 12,322
Hey all,

Wondering what you would recommend for a closed back headphone in the $500-$1000 range. It would be paired with my Schiit Bifrost and Lyr 3. Closed back is a must so I can listen while studying late at night.

My only experience with high-end headphones are the ZMF Atticus which I have and am real happy with. I need to send them back to get a driver repaired and am thinking maybe I want to try something different. I have the Meze 99 Classics too which I only use for portable listening. They are nice but don't really compare to the Atticus.

I listen many kinds of metal, particularly Death (the more melodic stuff), Doom, Gothic, Symphonic, Avant-Garde, and some Progressive. Some of my favorite bands are Opeth, Agalloch, Katatonia, Gojira, Novembre, Hamferd/Iotunn, Tool, Megadeth, Arcturus, A Forest of Stars, Ayreon, Thy Catafalque, Ulver, the list goes on....

I would love to try a planar magnetic but the options are limited for closed back. Also important is that they comfortable and non-fatiguing for longer listening sessions.

Thoughts?
If you can get a hold of it the Magister pro by kennerton sounds like a great fit for your taste in metal. I absolutely love mine..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back