Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 4, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #10,217 of 12,284
I demoed 9200 and the 7200 a couple of years ago, went home with the 7200 and still got them today, like 98% of what I listen to is metal. I like them a lot out of the box, and they respond well to EQ if you want to adjust the sound. Stock sound is pretty intimate and powerful but with good clarity and imaging. Some find the midrange a bit weird, and I can agree to that especially if you listen to it EQ'd and go back to stock, but like I said I like it either way.

Midrange weird in which sense? Will need to play with EQ to discover that lol

So far very pleased with the 7200, except I'd like a bit more clarity in the treble and something less "claustrofobic" still being that food at isolating sounds..

What would be a step up for you in this sense, keeping that lovely sound signature?

Jan 4, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #10,218 of 12,284
Midrange weird in which sense? Will need to play with EQ to discover that lol

So far very pleased with the 7200, except I'd like a bit more clarity in the treble and something less "claustrofobic" still being that food at isolating sounds..

What would be a step up for you in this sense, keeping that lovely sound signature?

It's in the 2-3 KHz range, it's a bit congested and guitars lack a bit of crunch. It's easy to fix though with parametric EQ. I started with Oratory's settings but I think that actually makes them fatiguing, if you want to try it out just do these small adjustments and see how you like it:

2200 Hz +3.5 dB, Q = 1.0
2900 Hz -2.0 dB, Q = 2.5
3150 Hz +3 dB, Q = 1

I think it opens up the sound a bit and improves guitars while keeping the overall very pleasant sound of the D7200.

I haven't found a straight step up, not that I've searched either, I'm still happy with them. I use the Ananda's a lot but they're very different. I have the ZMF Auteur on the way (hopefully this month), don't know what to expect there. I'd be interested in comparing the ZMF Atticus and Eikon to the D7200 as closed alternatives, maybe some day.

Jan 4, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #10,219 of 12,284
It's in the 2-3 KHz range, it's a bit congested and guitars lack a bit of crunch. It's easy to fix though with parametric EQ. I started with Oratory's settings but I think that actually makes them fatiguing, if you want to try it out just do these small adjustments and see how you like it:

2200 Hz +3.5 dB, Q = 1.0
2900 Hz -2.0 dB, Q = 2.5
3150 Hz +3 dB, Q = 1

I think it opens up the sound a bit and improves guitars while keeping the overall very pleasant sound of the D7200.

I haven't found a straight step up, not that I've searched either, I'm still happy with them. I use the Ananda's a lot but they're very different. I have the ZMF Auteur on the way (hopefully this month), don't know what to expect there. I'd be interested in comparing the ZMF Atticus and Eikon to the D7200 as closed alternatives, maybe some day.

Will give it a try tnx!

Btw I am focusing too on the Atticus (maybe I can try one later on this month from a friend), and have tried the Spirit Torino Radiante, very engaging and airy (for being closed I mean), but a tad pricey.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #10,220 of 12,284
So i managed to borrow AKG k712 pro from a friend to test it out. Dont recommend it for metal, Music was just dull and the lack of bass did hurt it a lot, wasn't a fan at all. There was just alot missing..
Now i’m thinking that the brightness i was compaining about with the Beyerdynamic is what makes it special lol

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #10,221 of 12,284
Is it true that the Emu Teak is the better Fostex 610 & Denon 7200? Today i bought the HD58X. I think this could be the best headphone for metal of the cheap HDxxx. But what would be the next? I think an expensive headphone which is technically very good can loose while playing metal (HD800, Arya). What could be the next step after the HD58X because the HD58X can't be an ENDGAME :wink:.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #10,222 of 12,284
Is it true that the Emu Teak is the better Fostex 610 & Denon 7200?

Yes. Teak has less of a recession in mids compared to the other Foster headphones, without sacrificing their famous bass slam. I don't know how the different Lawton mods compare, but base-models, Teak is the way to go. They don't slam quite as hard as the TH900, but they're close, don't have a mid dip, and aren't aggressively bright in treble.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #10,224 of 12,284
The Grado Hemp

Someone was selling one on the Classifieds on New Year's Eve for $340. I waited 20 minutes to pm, and just missed the boat. I'm tempted to sell my HE-560s and to put towards the Hemp.

But then I think It seems wild to pay so much for them when the Focal Elegia can be had (most of the time) for $400 (US) new. The Elegia seems like a much better product. But maybe I'm selling the Hemps short.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #10,225 of 12,284
Someone was selling one on the Classifieds on New Year's Eve for $340. I waited 20 minutes to pm, and just missed the boat. I'm tempted to sell my HE-560s and to put towards the Hemp.

But then I think It seems wild to pay so much for them when the Focal Elegia can be had (most of the time) for $400 (US) new. The Elegia seems like a much better product. But maybe I'm selling the Hemps short.

As a previous owner of the HE-560, I would say go for it.

I have never heard the Focal Elegia, but I can tell you that I prefer the Hemp vs the Elear/Elex.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #10,226 of 12,284
I'm still being blown away with the rad 0. Im considering getting a verite closed or abyss diana v2 to go with them

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #10,227 of 12,284
I'm still being blown away with the rad 0. Im considering getting a verite closed or abyss diana v2 to go with them

Which one is the rad 0?
Btw vérité closed seems to be an "ending point" for many, and considering the price I'll bet they are :)
I am evaluating an intermediate step with the Atticus... Just need to see if the R2r2k can feed them properly :wink:

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #10,228 of 12,284
http://www.rossonaudiodesign.com/
They are planars made by Alex Rossen who used to work with Audeze. I have an R2R2000 red. It has a lot of power out of the 4.4, should be fine with the atticus

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #10,229 of 12,284
http://www.rossonaudiodesign.com/
They are planars made by Alex Rossen who used to work with Audeze. I have an R2R2000 red. It has a lot of power out of the 4.4, should be fine with the atticus

I know, for this I was asking... :wink:
Btw I am looking at closed hp mainly, VC would be the deal but not yet into investing that much in a hp...

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #10,230 of 12,284
I gotta say here that the Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition pair gloriosly with most metal genres (with everything really, they are that good). I rediscovered so many albums with these cans I lost count. They are unique in the BEST posible way. Read my review here for an in-depth analysis if I picked your curiosity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back