Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 1, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #10,201 of 12,297
We have similar tastes. Do you also like any of these bands: Dillinger Escape Plan (and Greg Puciato's side stuff), Car Bomb, Between the Buried and Me, Mastodon, Baroness, Ne Obliviscaris, Gojira, Deftones?

Yes I'm big fan of BTBAM, Mastodon, Ne Obliviscaris, Gojira, Isis, etc. I also like bands like Enslaved, Amorphis, Insomnium, Borknagar, Swallow The Sun, Paradise Lost, Wilderun, Dark Tranquillity, etc.

Jan 1, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #10,202 of 12,297
When your headphones cost more than the album's recording budget...

Yes I know, I still can't believe that I have spent $2500 for a pair of headphones.

I have been in this hobby for more than 30 years and I have never been that impressed by a pair of headphones. I hate using the term endgame, but I really think and hope that the Verite Closed will be my last pair of headphones for at least the next 10 years.

@Monsterzero did a very good review of the Verite Closed here on YouTube and I agree with everything he said.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #10,203 of 12,297
Yes I know, I still can't believe that I have spent $2500 for a pair of headphones.

I have been in this hobby for more than 30 years and I have never been that impressed by a pair of headphones. I hate using the term endgame, but I really think and hope that the Verite Closed will be my last pair of headphones for at least the next 10 years.

@Monsterzero did a very good review of the Verite Closed here on YouTube and I agree with everything he said.
Glad you're enjoying them. Still loving my pair after 15 months, and I never look at the classified section any longer.

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #10,205 of 12,297
Wow such an interesting discussion.
Steve's Guttenberg video was a great reference, the Grado hemp sounds like an amazing headphones but for me on ear is just a no go, and in his words they are bright :D

Any thought on the AKG k712 pro with Metal? the sounds stage is something that i seem to like.

The Hemp are not bright and shouty compared to the DT880 or DT990. I have never heard the AKG K712 unfortunately.

Jan 2, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #10,206 of 12,297

Congrats!

Jan 2, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #10,207 of 12,297
Wow such an interesting discussion.
Steve's Guttenberg video was a great reference, the Grado hemp sounds like an amazing headphones but for me on ear is just a no go, and in his words they are bright :D

Any thought on the AKG k712 pro with Metal? the sounds stage is something that i seem to like.

I used them a lot for metal around 6-7 years ago. I recall them being pretty good, I prefer the HD-650 at that price point but if you want a larger soundstage, the K712 are good.

Jan 2, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #10,209 of 12,297
Thanks, I'm still curious to hear the Abyss and the SR1a :wink:

I imagine that the Abyss are a big step above the Verite Closed?
Especially for metal. Unequivocal reign.

As to a big step, it is a challenged step above the VC.
However, the VC is rather incredible.

Jan 2, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #10,211 of 12,297
Jan 2, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #10,213 of 12,297
Even with a better deal from a US reseller, I would have to pay 14.975% of duty and taxes. It's a pain for us in Canada to order expensive products from the US.
Yea, that concept is something I feel would drive me to move. But perhaps, you have really good tax cuts in your province, etc.
Everything has a balance.

Jan 2, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #10,214 of 12,297
Thanks, I'm still curious to hear the Abyss and the SR1a :wink:

I imagine that the Abyss are a big step above the Verite Closed?

The SR1a is a really special headphone, but I wouldn't rate it for metal (or anything that requires bass from about 80Hz down). Definitely one worth seeking out for a listen though.

Jan 2, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #10,215 of 12,297
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back