Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 25, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #9,857 of 12,299
Very true and that's why you can't take any of these posts here that seriously. Judge with your own ears.

I think there is some subjectivity for sure, but one major thing with this thread is the diversity of sub genres within metal. People would agree more frequently if we were all judging on the same criteria. Unfortunately, each opinion is assembled via a different sample group of experiences, and the terminology “metal” is too vague to specify the right judging criteria.

Subjectivity plays a huge role for sure, but sample bias and definitions more frequently “break” the experiment.

Jun 25, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #9,858 of 12,299
Thanks for your reply. I can definitely afford any of them, just want to find the best option. Have you heard the D8000 Pro? Many reviews have said it might be an even better choice than the D8000 for metal? I'm definitely gonna get the TH900 as well as I love my TH600. RAD-0 is interesting too, but it might be best to wait for the RAD-1 revision and see if they can reduce the weight and improve the comfort.
I own the Final D8000 Pro and I listen to all kinds of metal. I think they do a terrific job for metal.

Jun 28, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #9,861 of 12,299
Alright, just pulled the trigger on a brand new pair of Fostex TH900 (Orginal Gen, not mk2) for $1080 CAD ($790 USD). I'm also certain I'll enjoy them as closed back headphones, especially since I listen to DnB (neurofunk, techstep, liquid, drumstep). It was the last pair on clearance from a Canadian PC hardware website. I guess I lucked out with pricing because now I can buy a pair of open-backs when I'm ready.

As an aside, how woud you guys modify the following list based on personal preference? Pretty stoked to see the TH900 as Tier 1.

I only listen to metal and this is IMO best headphones.

Tier1:
Final Audio D8000
MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open 1.1
Focal's (Elear, Elex, Clear, Stellia)
Fostex TH-900

Tier2:
Dharma D1000 (after pads change)
Hifiman HE-6 (after LFF mod)
Audeze LCD-3
Meze Emperyan

Tier3:
Hifiman HE-5LE, HE-500 (sheepskin pads)
Hifiman HE-X v2
AKG K712 (modded)

This headphones i listen too.

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #9,867 of 12,299
I had a odd idea that the meze empyreans were the obv step up from foster th900s maybe I am wrong I heard them once didn't like em but it was in Jan of 2018. I would like to try them again

Shouldn’t a “step-up model” be in the same family of sound? Those headphones have very little in common, sonically speaking.

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #9,868 of 12,299
Shouldn’t a “step-up model” be in the same family of sound? Those headphones have very little in common, sonically speaking.
Well my understanding was the empyrean was warm sounding alot of bass and great resolution decent soundstage, where the foster has huge soundstage great bass and I didn't hear anything about treble and its closed back(I don't know if it's huge for a closed or in general). I'm not familiar with both headphones I was only saying that maybe it would be, based on some words thrown around. So based on what I knew and what I just read more in detail about them I was wrong to suggest it. But I can still see them as a complementary headphone.

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #9,869 of 12,299
Well my understanding was the empyrean was warm sounding alot of bass and great resolution decent soundstage, where the foster has huge soundstage great bass and I didn't hear anything about treble and its closed back(I don't know if it's huge for a closed or in general). I'm not familiar with both headphones I was only saying that maybe it would be, based on some words thrown around. So based on what I knew and what I just read more in detail about them I was wrong to suggest it. But I can still see them as a complementary headphone.

Complementary, for sure. I see the Empyrean as very warm and smooth overall, whereas the Fostex is more v-shaped and geared for excitement. The Fostex is more "rock out" where the Meze is more "chill out".

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #9,870 of 12,299
I’m considering buying a chord hugo 2 as I’ll be working at home for the foreseeable future. What would be great headphones for this. I listen mainly metal (black, death) but also electronic music. Difference price points and open and closed options would be very useful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back