Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 25, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #9,841 of 12,290
I third the recommendation of the RAD-0, if it is within budget. That would cover that whole catalog about as well as anything ever could.

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #9,842 of 12,290
For closed backs, I quite liked the Audeze XC for metal. And the Verite Closed, which I still have. I would like to try the Fostex TH900.
For open backs, the comments on the RAD-0 have peaked my interest, thanks!

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #9,843 of 12,290
If you have free 2600$ (and head from steel) go buy Rosson RAD-0, they play metal just supreme!
Just a little inch worse than my Final D8000.
That's very interesting, I've heard a lot of good things about the RAD-0. I'm currently looking for an upgrade myself. On my shortlist is the Fostex TH900, Final Audio D8000 or Pro, RAD-0 and Meze Empyrean.

Which one would you say is the best overall? My two current favourites are the Focal Clear and Fostex TH-600. Thanks

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #9,844 of 12,290
That's very interesting, I've heard a lot of good things about the RAD-0. I'm currently looking for an upgrade myself. On my shortlist is the Fostex TH900, Final Audio D8000 or Pro, RAD-0 and Meze Empyrean.

Which one would you say is the best overall? My two current favourites are the Focal Clear and Fostex TH-600. Thanks
Out of these I have only owned the Empyrean, and I think you can do better. I am myself very curious about the D8000 Pro. I listened to it very briefly at Canjam NY, and liked what I heard. Curious to hear from owners as to how they fit with metal. And the RAD-0 is now on my radar as well..

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #9,845 of 12,290
Out of these I have only owned the Empyrean, and I think you can do better. I am myself very curious about the D8000 Pro. I listened to it very briefly at Canjam NY, and liked what I heard. Curious to hear from owners as to how they fit with metal. And the RAD-0 is now on my radar as well..

Yeah, the sound impressions of the Meze Empyrean are a little disappointing, given that its build quality and comfort are top-notch. I've heard a lot of good things about the D8000 and D8000 Pro too, most reviews say or seem to indicate the pro is better for metal than the original, but maybe the RAD-0 is the more forgiving choice. D8000 Pro has TOTL detail and resolution which may be too revealing for a lot of metal.

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #9,846 of 12,290

Sadly Meze are worst of them, they lack of speed and slam, but comfort is TOTL, i wish RAD-0 have it too...
If you have money i will go for D8000, build is great, comfort is ok, and SQ is awesome!
But for bad recordings i will take RAD-0, they are most forgiving headphones i listen in long time.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #9,847 of 12,290
Sadly Meze are worst of them, they lack of speed and slam, but comfort is TOTL, i wish RAD-0 have it too...
If you have money i will go for D8000, build is great, comfort is ok, and SQ is awesome!
But for bad recordings i will take RAD-0, they are most forgiving headphones i listen in long time.

Thanks for your reply. I can definitely afford any of them, just want to find the best option. Have you heard the D8000 Pro? Many reviews have said it might be an even better choice than the D8000 for metal? I'm definitely gonna get the TH900 as well as I love my TH600. RAD-0 is interesting too, but it might be best to wait for the RAD-1 revision and see if they can reduce the weight and improve the comfort.

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #9,848 of 12,290
No, i never heard D8000 Pro.
I heard next RAD headphones will be worse (and cheaper) than RAD-0.

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #9,849 of 12,290
The Rosson RAD-0 look absolutely gorgeous, might be my favorite out of the bunch aesthetically. Since there's no local dealers, you're allowed to audition them for a bit and return them if you're not happy right? I've looked at a bunch of dealer websites in Canada, it's hard to find a single dealer in one city that carries everything (Final Audio, Meze, ZMF, Focal, Audeze, etc). By the way, there's 6 color variations that are heavily discounted on the Rosson website. The RAD-0-125 (Green), RAD-0-142 (Yellow), RAD-0-165 (Blue/Green) are only $2000. The RAD-0-149 (Pink/Aqua) + RAD-0-173 (Blue) are $2100, and RAD-0-160 is $2250.

Regarding the Fostex TH-900, is the mk2 version superior? I found a Canadian dealer selling it for $1805 CAD ($1325 USD). The original TH-900 is sold out most places but I found one vendor that sells it for $1300 CAD with very little stock left. The TH-909 are $2500 everywhere but easy to find universally anywhere.

Regarding TWS, have you seen Fiio’s UTWS1? One BT receiver per ear that lets you mount any detachable earpieces. Come in 2-pin and MMCX flavors. That goes a long way in bridging the gap with wired, and I can vouch for heavy workout compatibility.
They work better with long-nozzle iems, as the mini-cable is quite short. Since you already have Fiio iems they should work well, and the dac/amp chip inside is on the transparent side, surprisingly competent and plays well with your list of bands (weirdly close to my taste), as well as bass-heavy music.

edit: as to closed-back hp for extreme metal and liquid bass music, with outstanding rhythmic ability, Final’s Sonorous VI remain hard to beat. I haven’t heard the more expensive Fostex.

I've seen them, they look quite cumbersome to wear. The UTWS2 will be coming out soon so I might as well as wait. Then again, they're only $45 so why not.

For anyone interested in IEM's for Metal, I've scoured every inch of the internet (at least a dozen message boards). The FiiO FH7 and Fearless Audio S8P are by far the most popular and well received, plus they're very well priced. The S8P

Jun 25, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #9,851 of 12,290

I have to disagree with the above posters concerning the empys as they are the best headphones I have ever heard. The empys are excellent with metal.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #9,852 of 12,290
I disagree with everything stated here concerning the empyreans. The meze are definitely not the worst out of these selections. They have slam are fast, and have incredible bass on top of there incredible sound signature.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #9,853 of 12,290
The Rosson RAD-0 look absolutely gorgeous, might be my favorite out of the bunch aesthetically. Since there's no local dealers, you're allowed to audition them for a bit and return them if you're not happy right? I've looked at a bunch of dealer websites in Canada, it's hard to find a single dealer in one city that carries everything (Final Audio, Meze, ZMF, Focal, Audeze, etc). By the way, there's 6 color variations that are heavily discounted on the Rosson website. The RAD-0-125 (Green), RAD-0-142 (Yellow), RAD-0-165 (Blue/Green) are only $2000. The RAD-0-149 (Pink/Aqua) + RAD-0-173 (Blue) are $2100, and RAD-0-160 is $2250.

Regarding the Fostex TH-900, is the mk2 version superior? I found a Canadian dealer selling it for $1805 CAD ($1325 USD). The original TH-900 is sold out most places but I found one vendor that sells it for $1300 CAD with very little stock left. The TH-909 are $2500 everywhere but easy to find universally anywhere.

I've seen them, they look quite cumbersome to wear. The UTWS2 will be coming out soon so I might as well as wait. Then again, they're only $45 so why not.

For anyone interested in IEM's for Metal, I've scoured every inch of the internet (at least a dozen message boards). The FiiO FH7 and Fearless Audio S8P are by far the most popular and well received, plus they're very well priced. The S8P

The drivers are the same on the MK2, the only difference really is detachable cables. No change in sound.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #9,854 of 12,290
I disagree with everything stated here concerning the empyreans. The meze are definitely not the worst out of these selections. They have slam are fast, and have incredible bass on top of there incredible sound signature.
That's the confusing thing about them. Shows just how subjective this hobby is. Some people say they are the best headphones in the world, while others don't think they are that special...

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #9,855 of 12,290

My contact at Simcoe Audio in Barrie can get you all of those brands if you'd like me to get you in contact with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back