Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 31, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #9,676 of 12,302
Weeks of reading and listening to hours of reviews, chopping and changing my potential next purchase, I've now sold most of my headphones this week and ended up buying two pairs this evening. £375 on a set of Aeon Open Flows and then I discover that Amazon are selling off the Fidelio X2HRs. I'll be back when I'm bored again!

il_794xN.2181795776_4i3y.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #9,677 of 12,302
They are a huge upgrade over the BE. Honestly, the FH7 is my favorite metal IEM at any price point.

The difference between the FH7 ($499) and the UM Mirage ($1099) is probably smaller than the difference between the FH7 ($499) and the Periodic BE ($299).

Tuning, dynamics, detail-to-dollar ratio, impact, everything - the FH7 absolutely destroys. It's hands down my favorite IEM. And it's my most used piece of gear overall right now.

Have you heard the Fearless s8f (or newer s8z) in comparison to the FH7? I ‘hear’ (or read) they are excellent and are 8 all BA drivers so I’d think they’d have the speed I’m after. Even with the beryllium DD in the Periodic Be I’m still not convinced a DD can keep up with extremely fast metal I listen too :frowning2:

Apr 6, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #9,678 of 12,302
Have you heard the Fearless s8f (or newer s8z) in comparison to the FH7? I ‘hear’ (or read) they are excellent and are 8 all BA drivers so I’d think they’d have the speed I’m after. Even with the beryllium DD in the Periodic Be I’m still not convinced a DD can keep up with extremely fast metal I listen too :frowning2:

I have not heard them, no.

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #9,679 of 12,302
Hi guys, first of all ty for this Thread, I have read much, but I'm bit confuse. Now in 2020 what headphone could you raccomand for Epic metal? (and a little of POP music, my doughter and my girlfriend listen it I'm sorry :))
I'm interest to the: Beyerdynamic brand (Amiron Home - Beyerdynamic T1 (2 gen) or 1990 PRO) someone of you have try ythem with epic metal?
Around 500-600 € have you got other Advice?

I will use my Yamaha 880 to pilot them.
Headphone Jack Rated Output / Impedance
• AV 2 etc. (1 kHz, 50 mV, 8 ohm) 100 mV/560 ohm

p.s. I know Hifiman have some hardware issue so many people havee broke hardware in the first year then I don't wanna risk :)

Ty

Apr 22, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #9,680 of 12,302
I was happily listening to the new Tool album with my new Aeon Flow Opens, thinking that these are lovely and smooth with no piercing trebles which my previous headphones all suffered from. I thought all was well, until a trialed a set of Fidelio X2HRs. which I wasn't 100% keen on, but gave Iron Maiden's Live after Death album a listen to last night.

Well....the Fidelio outclassed the Flows by a mile, I thought I had cotton wool in my ears with the Flows on. The X2HRs are a little cheap sounding, but the vocals and the two guitars were crystal clear, and Steve Harris' bass was chunking away with pounding deep rhythm. It was only the cymbal crashes which annoyed my ears.

So, the search continues. Where do I go next? Focal Elegia/ Clears? LCD2 Classic or maybe ZMF Aeolus/ Atticus? Please help merchants of metal!

Apr 22, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #9,681 of 12,302
I was happily listening to the new Tool album with my new Aeon Flow Opens, thinking that these are lovely and smooth with no piercing trebles which my previous headphones all suffered from. I thought all was well, until a trialed a set of Fidelio X2HRs. which I wasn't 100% keen on, but gave Iron Maiden's Live after Death album a listen to last night.

Well....the Fidelio outclassed the Flows by a mile, I thought I had cotton wool in my ears with the Flows on. The X2HRs are a little cheap sounding, but the vocals and the two guitars were crystal clear, and Steve Harris' bass was chunking away with pounding deep rhythm. It was only the cymbal crashes which annoyed my ears.

So, the search continues. Where do I go next? Focal Elegia/ Clears? LCD2 Classic or maybe ZMF Aeolus/ Atticus? Please help merchants of metal!

Hi Bode, If you want to continue upgrading with the clear, crisp, brighter sounding headphones then the Clear or Elegia are excellent choices. I personally think the entire Audeze lineup with the exception of the LCD4 are terrible. They are detailed with good bass, but have an off-sounding FR and are generally muddy/veiled sounding in comparison to other headphones. The Atticus/Aeolus I haven't heard personally but obviously have a very hyped and positive reputation everywhere. From my understanding, they fall on the smooth and more laid-back side of things like your Aeon and the Audezes', with great bass and mids and rolled-off treble; but a natural-sounding timbre nonetheless.

Another option would be the Fostex TH-610 or 900. Phenomenal bass, slightly recessed mids, good clarity/detail and sparkly treble. Some people find the treble a bit hot/harsh on the Fostex's but I don't find them to be that bad really. You should try them before you consider them if you can, you might find the treble bothersome. Lastly, the Hifiman range is worth looking into as well, the Ananda specifically. Very neutral sounding but solid all-around.

Best value for money pick, in my opinion, would be the Focal Elex. Also, If you want something that could be used portably as well, I like the Campfire Audio Cascade a lot, although it is quite bassy. Hopefully, that's of some help to you.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #9,683 of 12,302
Then the Focal Elegia are good enought to play Epic metal too?

And guys why some of you Master of the Headphoner :wink: Don't update the list posted byLevap, from the beginning of the discussion, this will be soo great :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution.715478/

Yes, I like the Focal Elegia for listening to most types of music a lot. However, it's not perfect and you should try it for yourself first if you can.

Also, you can find a more up-to-date version of the chart from Levap here: http://forum.doctorhead.ru/index.php?showtopic=26832

Apr 22, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #9,684 of 12,302
Apr 22, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #9,685 of 12,302
The best headphones I've heard metal through are the Hifiman Susvara. They sound good with all genres, but I was rather content with my Empyreans. Previously I might have suggested the Utopia's or something from the Stax lineup. I even considered going back to the Stax SR-L700. That was however until I started playing some of my favorite metal music through the Susvara. I had previously been listening to metal a lot less through headphones as I was beginning to think the recordings were off or not as dynamic and sounded a bit anemic. When I started listening again with the Susvaras it was like metal suddenly became the most lively and beautiful music in my collection. Instruments are perfectly placed and guitar crunch is just incredible with snare and bass drum hits attacking in the way you would expect them too. I know this isn't exactly in everyone's budget but if you can find a decent used pair or a very good price on a new pair I highly recommend them.

Apr 22, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #9,686 of 12,302
The best headphones I've heard metal through are the Hifiman Susvara. They sound good with all genres, but I was rather content with my Empyreans. Previously I might have suggested the Utopia's or something from the Stax lineup. I even considered going back to the Stax SR-L700. That was however until I started playing some of my favorite metal music through the Susvara. I had previously been listening to metal a lot less through headphones as I was beginning to think the recordings were off or not as dynamic and sounded a bit anemic. When I started listening again with the Susvaras it was like metal suddenly became the most lively and beautiful music in my collection. Instruments are perfectly placed and guitar crunch is just incredible with snare and bass drum hits attacking in the way you would expect them too. I know this isn't exactly in everyone's budget but if you can find a decent used pair or a very good price on a new pair I highly recommend them.

You’re not wrong. The Hifiman Susvara and HE-6 do things dynamically that other, more sensitive headphones simply cannot when they have the juice behind them. Susvara through a great amp is difficult to knock in any substantial way.

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #9,687 of 12,302
Wow Guys tx so much for the answer, the Susvara and HE-6 are a little expansive for me, I would like to stay near 500 € for the prize I'm searching online for now I have found only Focue Elear near that prize :wink:
The HIFIMAN Sundara aree now at 359 € but I have not see them in the list for heavy metal raccomandation what do y think about them?
I will search one of them in top tier :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #9,688 of 12,302
Wow Guys tx so much for the answer, the Susvara and HE-6 are a little expansive for me, I would like to stay near 500 € for the prize I'm searching online for now I have found only Focue Elear near that prize :wink:
The HIFIMAN Sundara aree now at 359 € but I have not see them in the list for heavy metal raccomandation what do y think about them?
I will search one of them in top tier :wink:

No worries. For your budget, I would recommend the Focal Elex or the Hifiman Ananda.

Apr 23, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #9,690 of 12,302
You are luky Monkey4054, maybe y leave in USA, I'm form Italy the most expansive State on the Planet LOL
Focale Elex are not sell in Europe, and the Ananda cost oveer 900 € Sigh And if I buy form USA, thetaxes are realy High (near 190€)...

Yikes. If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure the South Americans have it far worse, as far as buying audio gear goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back