Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 19, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #9,661 of 12,315
Some very good information there.

I’m loving my HD6XX for most metal out of a tube amp, price to performance with these headphones is excellent. Doom to Death metal they are really good actually. Thinking I’ll still look to move to Atticus at some point, but they are still £900 more than HD6XX in UK which is staggering.

I’m still looking for some advice on which headphones do grindcore (super fast death metal) justice, as I know the HD6XX don’t quite keep up, and I’m also hearing Atticus don’t either. Am I going to look at planars for that? If so, am I looking at a decent SS amp too?

Any Headphone + Amp suggestions this side of 1000 USD/GBP? Maybe Sundara with Jot (but not sure how if they have synergy. I’m using a Bifrost 2 amp which is staying.

Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk 2
Monoprice Liquid Platinum
Schiit Mjolnir 2
If you're patient, a Glenn OTL basic build

Mar 19, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #9,662 of 12,315
Some very good information there.

I’m loving my HD6XX for most metal out of a tube amp, price to performance with these headphones is excellent. Doom to Death metal they are really good actually. Thinking I’ll still look to move to Atticus at some point, but they are still £900 more than HD6XX in UK which is staggering.

I’m still looking for some advice on which headphones do grindcore (super fast death metal) justice, as I know the HD6XX don’t quite keep up, and I’m also hearing Atticus don’t either. Am I going to look at planars for that? If so, am I looking at a decent SS amp too?

Any Headphone + Amp suggestions this side of 1000 USD/GBP? Maybe Sundara with Jot (but not sure how if they have synergy. I’m using a Bifrost 2 amp which is staying.

I actually like the Bifrost 2 + Jotunheim combination via balanced. There's a good synergy between these two almost as if Schiit tuned them as a balanced mid-range combination in their line up. Not the fastest in the transients (Gillmore Lite Mk 2 is faster), but the Jotunheim has to my ears bit more slam factor and combines well with the Bifrost 2 clean/powerful bass. Both Gillmore Lite Mk 2 and Jotunheim have great treble for metal (not too bright) and work well with Bifrost 2. If going planar I'd prefer the Jotunheim due to the extra current output. I ultimately returned my Gillmore as the Jotunheim performed better in my setup for the types of music I like. I have my eye on the GSX mini in future though unless some super Jotunheim-2 with continuity output stage appears.

Mar 19, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #9,663 of 12,315
I only listen to metal and this is IMO best headphones.

Tier1:
Final Audio D8000
MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open 1.1
Focal's (Elear, Elex, Clear, Stellia)
Fostex TH-900

Tier2:
Dharma D1000 (after pads change)
Hifiman HE-6 (after LFF mod)
Audeze LCD-3
Meze Emperyan

Tier3:
Hifiman HE-5LE, HE-500 (sheepskin pads)
Hifiman HE-X v2
AKG K712 (modded)

This headphones i listen too.

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #9,664 of 12,315
They are a huge upgrade over the BE. Honestly, the FH7 is my favorite metal IEM at any price point.

The difference between the FH7 ($499) and the UM Mirage ($1099) is probably smaller than the difference between the FH7 ($499) and the Periodic BE ($299).

Tuning, dynamics, detail-to-dollar ratio, impact, everything - the FH7 absolutely destroys. It's hands down my favorite IEM. And it's my most used piece of gear overall right now.
Interesting, who needs 500 dollars anyway

Mar 21, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #9,665 of 12,315
I was wondering if anyone has any views on the Denon AH 7200? Are these too U shaped? I need something with good full bass, not neutral! And with excellent instrument separation.

Just got a 7200 in today. It's not u-shaped at all. Rather a softly downward sloping frequency response. Bass is good, full and well-defined. Personally, I prefer the 660S for fast modern (compressed) metal recordings, but the 7200 is a real gem if you're not a treble-head.

Mar 22, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #9,666 of 12,315
This is pretty legit. I would add the Campfire Cascade to the $500-$1000 group and crown it the top choice for metal in that tier. I would add the HE-6se and Stax L-700 to the $1,000-$2000 category. And I would add the Abyss Diana and AB-1266 and the Stax SR-009S to the $2,000+ category.

IEMs:
Sub $300 - Periodic BE
Sub $500 - Fiio FH7
Sub $1,200 - Unique Melody Mirage
$2,000+ - 64 Audio Tia Trio, Audeze LCD-i4

Do you still like the iSINE 20? I'm not sure if you had a chance to check out the iSINE 10. The 20 is currently on sale for $300 and the 10 is $150.

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #9,667 of 12,315
Do you still like the iSINE 20? I'm not sure if you had a chance to check out the iSINE 10. The 20 is currently on sale for $300 and the 10 is $150.

I loved the first few demos I heard. After owning one, I don’t like it nearly as much.

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #9,668 of 12,315
I only listen to metal and this is IMO best headphones.

Tier1:
Final Audio D8000
MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open 1.1
Focal's (Elear, Elex, Clear, Stellia)
Fostex TH-900

Tier2:
Dharma D1000 (after pads change)
Hifiman HE-6 (after LFF mod)
Audeze LCD-3
Meze Emperyan

Tier3:
Hifiman HE-5LE, HE-500 (sheepskin pads)
Hifiman HE-X v2
AKG K712 (modded)

This headphones i listen too.

Hey between the he6 and dharma d1000 which would you choose? I have an he4 still and i love them but have always wanted to try the he6 and was really interested in the d1000 for a while. Yes i have an amp able to drive the he6 so amping isnt an issue. The he4 is great but as always, ive always wanted to go beyond. Whether thats the auteur, he6, or d1000, has been my debate for some time now, funds permitting of course.

Mar 26, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #9,669 of 12,315
Hey between the he6 and dharma d1000 which would you choose? I have an he4 still and i love them but have always wanted to try the he6 and was really interested in the d1000 for a while. Yes i have an amp able to drive the he6 so amping isnt an issue. The he4 is great but as always, ive always wanted to go beyond. Whether thats the auteur, he6, or d1000, has been my debate for some time now, funds permitting of course.
If they both are stock i will take Dharma but HE-6 ale very close, even pad change can make difference.

Mar 26, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #9,670 of 12,315
Has anyone heard the Atticus and Aeon 2 closed side by side for metal? I love my Atticus but the weight is starting to get to me and I am considering the Aeon 2 closed as a possible replacement. Anyone in the UK looking for ZMF check out Acorn Audio super nice guy and allows 1 week demos which is handy.

Mar 26, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #9,672 of 12,315
Has anyone heard the Atticus and Aeon 2 closed side by side for metal? I love my Atticus but the weight is starting to get to me and I am considering the Aeon 2 closed as a possible replacement. Anyone in the UK looking for ZMF check out Acorn Audio super nice guy and allows 1 week demos which is handy.
Depends on what kind of metal you’re listening to. If you want maximum meat on the bone, Attics is about as meaty as it gets. If you want something that feels more linear and agile, Aeon 2.

Mar 26, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #9,673 of 12,315
I currently have both and enjoy both for metal (purchased them specifically for metal). Both headphones actually have a somewhat similar V shape. While AFC1 was more neutral, mid-bass is nicely boosted on AFC2 vs. AFC1.

Atticus has a much more rich, meaty sound vs. AFC 2. Bass slam and sound stage are also better on Atticus. Mids are more forward. Dynamics are better on Atticus.

AFC2 is faster, has a leaner overall sound, and has somewhat recessed mids. Treble clarity and extension seem better on AFC2. Drum hits have more snap. Sub-bass extension seems better on AFC2, but the driver is smaller I think so the sensation of slam is less pronounced.

Oddly I find Atticus way more comfortable than the AFC 2. The clamp force is really high on that headphone in a way I haven't experience with first generation Aeons or the Ethers.

Mar 26, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #9,674 of 12,315
AKG Sextett MP in $200.00 and below category.

I would skip the Aeolus and Atticus,if possible $ wise,and go straight to the Verite closed. It slays every genre Ive tried.

Mar 27, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #9,675 of 12,315
Depends on what kind of metal you’re listening to. If you want maximum meat on the bone, Attics is about as meaty as it gets. If you want something that feels more linear and agile, Aeon 2.
I listen to mostly Black Sabbath, Tool, Gojira, Korn, Marilyn Manson so definitely the Atticus suits me more than the Aeon 2 closed it seems.

Atticus has a much more rich, meaty sound vs. AFC 2. Bass slam and sound stage are also better on Atticus. Mids are more forward. Dynamics are better on Atticus.
Yup this is the sound I look for.

I have been thinking about the Verite closed for awhile after watching monster's review I would need to sell my Atticus and HD800S and I would still need around £900 to buy. It would be an easier decision if the Verite closed were 400g but I know they are still lighter than my Atticus. Can the treble get hot on the Verite closed? This is the reason I will be selling my 800S after 40 minutes it feels like my ears close.

I did demo the Meze Empyrean recently as the build and weight was exactly what I was looking for and it was getting good reviews but the sound was way to pleasant and easy going. Just lacked balls really much preferred my Atticus side by side.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back