Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 30, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #9,451 of 12,302
I listen to melodeath,speed,thrash,classic,doom,industrial,pagan/viking,prog.

I dont do most black or death,unless it has good production value.

I mostly listen to death, but it should be fine I think. So I have the AD2000 down as a possibility. I'm probably going to try and find a Hi-Fi store, which will definitely be a drive since they are far and few between and test out a bunch of different ones.

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #9,452 of 12,302
I mostly listen to death, but it should be fine I think. So I have the AD2000 down as a possibility. I'm probably going to try and find a Hi-Fi store, which will definitely be a drive since they are far and few between and test out a bunch of different ones.
If you can stretch your budget a little further I would highly recommend looking for a used E-MU Teak.

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #9,453 of 12,302
Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #9,454 of 12,302
I'm a big fan of most of the Fostex variations. I enjoyed the Massdrop-Fostex X00 but gifted them to a friend who I knew would love 'em, and still use my Denon AH-D2000 at work. I'm surprised you have to drive far given that you live in "Headphone Land."

For home listening, I was close to getting a Susvara, but multiple people selling them are Abyss fans, and I'm getting tempted again to the dark side, despite their weight and cost. Gotta sell my Shangri-La Jr first.

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #9,455 of 12,302
I'm a big fan of most of the Fostex variations. I enjoyed the Massdrop-Fostex X00 but gifted them to a friend who I knew would love 'em, and still use my Denon AH-D2000 at work. I'm surprised you have to drive far given that you live in "Headphone Land."

For home listening, I was close to getting a Susvara, but multiple people selling them are Abyss fans, and I'm getting tempted again to the dark side, despite their weight and cost. Gotta sell my Shangri-La Jr first.

I unfortunately do not live in Headphone Land, but it seems we share the same state. Any places in Chicago you recommend?

Will probably look at the return policy on Massdrop's site and accordingly order a Fostex-X00 from them in a couple of weeks or so.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #9,456 of 12,302
I have yet to hear a Beyer that does metal well.

Lots of Beyers would seem to be a good fit with metal. The DT1990 has great bass extension, excellent treble detail (for hearing all the intricacies the drummers perform on their cymbals) and generally has snappy transients.

Although I said I wasn't impressed with its dynamics this is mainly because it was only slightly better than my HD650 (which is my reference) in this regard. I was expecting to be laid out on the floor with increased impact, but it didn't do that. Maybe the Focal Elear or Elex is the only thing that can do that? (I've not heard either, but I hear that their dynamics are uncomparably head and shoulders above anything else on the market at any price point).

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #9,457 of 12,302
Lots of Beyers would seem to be a good fit with metal.
I started in this hobby with the T1.1 as my very first good headphone. It sucked for metal. Since then Ive tried the DT770/880/990 and they too suck. Perhaps some of their newer headphones are better for metal,but I have long since moved on from Beyers.

I cant advise you on the Focals as I have not heard any of them except for their two TOTL offerings. I did like the Stellia quite a bit,more so than the Utopia.

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #9,458 of 12,302
Oct 30, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #9,459 of 12,302
I started in this hobby with the T1.1 as my very first good headphone. It sucked for metal. Since then Ive tried the DT770/880/990 and they too suck.

I compared the DT1990 to my old DT880 (which I'm going to sell). Unlike the HD660s vs the HD650, the DT1990 are a true upgrade from the DT880. Not a side-grade, an upgrade. Everything is better. Bass is more extended and more impactful. Transients are faster. Soundstage is wider and deeper. Imaging is more precise.

The biggest annoyance I found with the DT880 was that it sounded like it was trying to be analytical, but the transients were too sloshy too allow it to be. The DT1990 fixes that.

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #9,460 of 12,302
I unfortunately do not live in Headphone Land, but it seems we share the same state. Any places in Chicago you recommend?

Will probably look at the return policy on Massdrop's site and accordingly order a Fostex-X00 from them in a couple of weeks or so.

I once got to hear the Sennheiser Orpheus system at an event at Audio Consultants, but that was just a one time thing. They have as handful of headphones, but the one thing worth taking a trip is either a Head-Fi meetup (there was one a few weeks ago that I couldn't make it to where ZMF was involved) or Axpona next spring.

I still have a beyer DT 1990 Pro, and they are pretty great. Due to the clamping force I found them uncomfortable after an hour, so I use them mainly with my guitar amp and some TV/movies. AKG K701 used to be my movie rig, but the cats finally killed it, knocking it off the stand one too many times. You could drop the DT 1990 from third story onto the sidewalk and they'd probably be fine.

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #9,461 of 12,302
I once got to hear the Sennheiser Orpheus system at an event at Audio Consultants, but that was just a one time thing. They have as handful of headphones, but the one thing worth taking a trip is either a Head-Fi meetup (there was one a few weeks ago that I couldn't make it to where ZMF was involved) or Axpona next spring.

I still have a beyer DT 1990 Pro, and they are pretty great. Due to the clamping force I found them uncomfortable after an hour, so I use them mainly with my guitar amp and some TV/movies. AKG K701 used to be my movie rig, but the cats finally killed it, knocking it off the stand one too many times. You could drop the DT 1990 from third story onto the sidewalk and they'd probably be fine.

Already went to Audio Consultants. Axpona looks insane, but hopefully they dont only show studio gear with insanely high prices. I want to see some stuff that consumers can buy hahah.

Speaking of which, those Fosex headphones literally just hit their EOL on Drop after you recommended them. Still really in the dark here about what headphones aim for.

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #9,462 of 12,302
Do you mean the drop for $320? Seems to still be taking orders, I put one in a cart. Great deal. For a tighter budget, I bought a couple Drop x Sennheiser 58x Jubilee as gifts and was surprised how good they sounded, best value I've seen for $160 for something new. I'm tempted to get one for myself for the living room.

I also wouldn't write off beyerdynamics before hearing them for yourself. Some people certainly have an aversion to a particular brand/sound sig, just like I've hated all Grados I've tried, but I was quite happy with my DT 770 Pro and then the 1990 Pro.

Yes, Axpona has plenty of affordable headphones to audition. This is old but here's my piece from a couple years ago: http://fastnbulbous.com/audiophilia-cultom-paranormal-sound-worship/

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #9,463 of 12,302
Think closed backs like the E-MU Teak would be better than open backs?

EDIT: https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-tr-x00-mahogany-headphones these seem to be the same driver as the E-MU Teak, and less costly.
The E-MU Teak and the TR-X00 are actually semi-open, whether they would be better than open back headphones depends on what attributes you're looking for most. The soundstage on both is decent but as a result they'll leak a decent amount of sound. True open-back headphones will be worse in terms of sound leakage but you'll get a larger soundstage.

The E-MU Teak has a more refined and balanced tuning than the TR-X00. I owned the TH-X00 Mahogany (the predecessor to the TR-X00 without removable cables) before owning the Teak. The TR-X00 is going to be more V-shaped than the the Teak, with harsher treble.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #9,464 of 12,302
The E-MU Teak and the TR-X00 are actually semi-open, whether they would be better than open back headphones depends on what attributes you're looking for most. The soundstage on both is decent but as a result they'll leak a decent amount of sound. True open-back headphones will be worse in terms of sound leakage but you'll get a larger soundstage.

The E-MU Teak has a more refined and balanced tuning than the TR-X00. I owned the TH-X00 Mahogany (the predecessor to the TR-X00 without removable cables) before owning the Teak. The TR-X00 is going to be more V-shaped than the the Teak, with harsher treble.

Yeah, I mean I'm not really sure to do right now, because it's not like there are any places I can go and test each headphone. But for sure you would say the Teak is way better for metal than my current HD6XX? May be waiting a long time before those go back on Massdrop lol.

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #9,465 of 12,302
Yeah, I mean I'm not really sure to do right now, because it's not like there are any places I can go and test each headphone. But for sure you would say the Teak is way better for metal than my current HD6XX? May be waiting a long time before those go back on Massdrop lol.
I haven't heard the 6XX extensively, but from what I remember about both headphones I would say yes. I would also argue the Sennheiser 58X is better for metal than the 6XX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back