Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 28, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #9,346 of 12,298
So, did anyone ever make a definitive list? I'm really interested in the ZMF offerings.

What list are you wanting to see?

Youre in Brentwood. I believe Source AV,which is in Torrance,is or was,having a pretty decent sale on ZMF headphones. Might be worth a trip down the freeway?

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #9,347 of 12,298
What list are you wanting to see?

Youre in Brentwood. I believe Source AV,which is in Torrance,is or was,having a pretty decent sale on ZMF headphones. Might be worth a trip down the freeway?
GH93bYO.png

Jul 28, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #9,348 of 12,298
Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #9,350 of 12,298
And by list, I mean like a top 10 Headphone list for Metal. A list or chart that describes each one and what they do best. A consolidated list in one spot for easy reference instead of reading through 10,000 posts.

Jul 28, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #9,351 of 12,298
And by list, I mean like a top 10 Headphone list for Metal. A list or chart that describes each one and what they do best. A consolidated list in one spot for easy reference instead of reading through 10,000 posts.

There is a list in the first post, but I think not updated for a while.

Jul 29, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #9,353 of 12,298
Jul 29, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #9,354 of 12,298
Id love a new list too. Perhaps have top ten closed, open, portable etc

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #9,355 of 12,298
Hi everyone, I recently took a trip to a high-end headphone shop and listened to a bunch of headphones. I will write a quick summary below if anyone is interested:

Headphones I demoed:

Audeze LCD2C, X
Focal Elegia, Clear, Stellia
Hifiman Sundara, Ananda, Susvara
Fostex TH-610, 900
Campfire Audio Cascade
Final Audio Sonorous VI

Test Tracks:

Lamb of God - Blood of the Scribe, Broken Hands
Gojira - Toxic Garbage Island, Esoteric Surgery, Wolf Down the Earth
Death - Crystal Mountain, Spirit Crusher, Symbolic
Pig Destroyer - The Diplomat
Coheed and Cambria - Welcome Home
Between the Buried and Me - Mordecai
Nasum - Scoop
Sikth - *****foot
The Black Dahlia Murder - What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse, I'm Charming
Trivium - Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Sugar Coated Sour
Pantera - 5 Minutes Alone
August Burns Red - Marianas Trench
Nails - You Will Never Be One Of Us
All That Remains - Whispers
Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction
At the Gates - Blinded By Fear
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God

Listening was done through a Simaudio Moon 430HA

Preference based purely on sound quality:

Focal Stellia > Clear > Elegia > Susvara > Cascasde > TH-900 > TH-610 > Ananda > LCD-X > LCD2C > Sonorous VI > Sundara

The Focal Elegia and Campfire Audio Cascade stand out the most for their incredible value. The difference between the Elegia and the flagship Stellia was so subtle and minuscule that I can't imagine ever being able to justify buying the Stellia, at four times the price of the Elegia.

I have to point out that the Audeze's were very, very disappointing for me. Not that they were bad, I can definitely see why people love them so much. But going back and forth between the LCD-X and the Clear, it was just so apparent how much clearer (no pun intended) the Clear was in comparison. Yes, the Audeze had a bit more bass, and if you prefer a smoother, more "laid-back" sound, you will prefer the Audeze. But if you want your metal to sound "ballsy", "aggressive" and "in-your-face", then the Focal is where it is at!

The Focal Elegia is probably what I'm going to buy. It was dynamic, punchy, forward/aggressive, superb mids, nice, non-sibilant highs etc. All of the people claiming that these sound thin or bass-light are insane! This is coming from someone who currently has a Fostex TH-600!!
The bass is definitely slightly set-back and could definitely use some more quantity overall, but it's still very good! Please check out the Focal line if you haven't already. You might be pleasantly surprised like I was.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #9,356 of 12,298
I don't know the IEMs there as I don't do IEMs, but I would guess the Susvara easily outclasses all the other headphones listed when driven well, the 430HA doesn't have the power get remotely get near the best the Susvara has to offer. Volume will be usable I expect, but it won't sound as it should. EDIT: actually I think I misread the spec for the MHA, it should have power for the Susvara, whether it is a good pairing though I don't know.

I'm not an Audeze fan either, the only one I've liked so far is the 4.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #9,357 of 12,298
I don't know the IEMs there as I don't do IEMs, but I would guess the Susvara easily outclasses all the other headphones listed when driven well, the 430HA doesn't have the power get remotely get near the best the Susvara has to offer. Volume will be usable I expect, but it won't sound as it should. EDIT: actually I think I misread the spec for the MHA, it should have power for the Susvara, whether it is a good pairing though I don't know.

I'm not an Audeze fan either, the only one I've liked so far is the 4.

Hey, don't get me wrong, the Susvara sounded great. Yes, they are probably the hardest headphone to drive as well. I just think the price is insane, and they didn't exactly blow me away. Much better 'value' hahah in a Stellia or Utopia.....

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #9,358 of 12,298
Hey, don't get me wrong, the Susvara sounded great. Yes, they are probably the hardest headphone to drive as well. I just think the price is insanse, and they didn't exactly blow me away. Much better 'value' hahah in a Stellia or Utopia.....

You'd probably appreciate their merits more with time, headphones that do basically nothing wrong tend not to have that wow! effect. But yes, they're pretty far up the diminishing returns spectrum (like the last stop before the insanity of some of the estat setups).

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #9,359 of 12,298
Ok hi all,

As far as ZMF, which pair would be best for my tastes? In top order:

1. Doom
2. Stoner/Psychedelic
3. Symphonic
4. Death/Grind/Core
5. Black

Aug 7, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #9,360 of 12,298
Ok hi all,

As far as ZMF, which pair would be best for my tastes? In top order:

1. Doom
2. Stoner/Psychedelic
3. Symphonic
4. Death/Grind/Core
5. Black

If you want maximum bass slam, as you mentioned before, go with the Atticus. Aeolus is similar, if you want open. Atticus might slam a pinch harder being closed. Both are phenomenal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back