Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Sep 19, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #8,926 of 12,284
Wow, this thread is still as active as ever. Long time no see, everyone. Lol. Six months without headphones later and I'm only just now starting to miss it (read: this hobby) a little bit. I'm a bit shocked to see that the Audeze Mobius isn't out by now. Any thoughts at all on them from someone who has heard them? Not expecting anything remotely close to AFC quality, but for the price... is it a solid product? Would I be better off looking into some cheap[ish] IEM's?

I got my Mobius about 2 weeks ago. They are a ton of fun. The DSP is very, very good. They have deep, authoritative bass. Detail retrieval is also very good. I like them a lot.

Sep 20, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #8,928 of 12,284
+1 for the Auteur with a good tube amp. I just received the excellent Glenn OTL and am in metal nirvana.

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #8,929 of 12,284
+1 for the Auteur with a good tube amp. I just received the excellent Glenn OTL and am in metal nirvana.

YES!!! Glad to hear it. That is an unstoppable combo.

Sep 21, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #8,930 of 12,284
For poor recordings aoen open is very good...

Sep 21, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #8,931 of 12,284
SRH840 is flat? Hmm has been a few years since I gave them away. I loved them, but never thought they were flat or particularly good for metal. I liked them a lot for EDM.

I rather enjoy the K553 for metal. For open air, AD900x definitely among my collection.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #8,932 of 12,284
YES!!! Glad to hear it. That is an unstoppable combo.

Yea man really glad you recommended it. The Auteur was great before now now its exceptional. I did also order the blackwood Auteur as the only thing I would really improve on with the Teak is the relative dryness/thickness of the sound. This is a pretty small quibble but since I've spent $$ on the Amp might as well get the most out of the HP. Overall though the Auteur sound signature is IDEAL for metal.

Sep 28, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #8,933 of 12,284
I know that this is a headphone thread, but does anyone here have any experience with the Vision Ears VE8 IEM?
I'm thinking of going full time portable only guy, and apparently this is the ultimate IEM for Rock and Metal.

I have read some impression across the internet, it is not that many but the impressions are very positive.
I just need to get more info from other metal listerners around here.

Currently using Andromeda and its been great so far, but have been itching for custom IEM for a while for the best comfort, isolation, etc.
Might as well get something that sounds better too.

Oct 4, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #8,934 of 12,284
Wow I've been out of the loop, I only just learned about the HE6se. I would have been more excited for a Massdrop option that's more in the sub-$1K range, but prices will drop eventually or they'll trickle out used. I'm starting to see some used Susvaras for under $4K which has me thinking. has anyone here done A/B between that and HE-6?

After getting the MrSpeakers Voce early in the year, I listened to nothing but them for several months and enjoyed it. However when I A/B with HE-6, the old battleships come out on top for my kind of heavy rock, psych and metal, with much more forward, thick and satisfying. So I'm considering selling the Voce and iFi Energizer.

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #8,935 of 12,284
Wow I've been out of the loop, I only just learned about the HE6se. I would have been more excited for a Massdrop option that's more in the sub-$1K range, but prices will drop eventually or they'll trickle out used. I'm starting to see some used Susvaras for under $4K which has me thinking. has anyone here done A/B between that and HE-6?

After getting the MrSpeakers Voce early in the year, I listened to nothing but them for several months and enjoyed it. However when I A/B with HE-6, the old battleships come out on top for my kind of heavy rock, psych and metal, with much more forward, thick and satisfying. So I'm considering selling the Voce and iFi Energizer.

FYI - HE-6SE is a limited run of 600, I believe. They are also doing a run of 500 HE-5SE which are going to be like $600.

Susvara is incredible with the right amp.

They also just announced the Jade 2.

Oct 6, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #8,936 of 12,284
Hi, I got he6 and susvara never heard he6se.

Susvara betters he6 in about all metal genres excluding thrash... In that genere he6 remains the undisputed champion.

But different headphones.. He6 is bit bright susvara on the warm side like he1000 but has a definition like the he6.

So both excellent cans... Susvara is better yep but the price tag is demential... I got a very good offer on mine .. At 6000 euros I would never bought it.

Another metal option auteur... That is similar to he1000

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #8,937 of 12,284
I’d recommend a ZMF Auteur in Blackwood or Cocobolo. Those are both denser woods that have a thicker, heavier, more impactful sound. They are nicely forgiving but also very revealing. IMO, they offer some of the best parts of both the LCDs and the HE-6, so I think you’ll love em. Here’s a pic I just snapped of mine:

Looks like they sold out of Blackwood. I wasn't wowed by the Eikon or Atticus when I tried them, but it was just a short session. You've been a consistent advocate for the ZMF stuff, and I'm getting more curious about the Auteur. Looks like I'll have to try to audition them before I blow big bucks on a used Susvara.

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #8,938 of 12,284
Looks like they sold out of Blackwood. I wasn't wowed by the Eikon or Atticus when I tried them, but it was just a short session. You've been a consistent advocate for the ZMF stuff, and I'm getting more curious about the Auteur. Looks like I'll have to try to audition them before I blow big bucks on a used Susvara.

I second Hansotek's recommendation for an Auteur, they absolutely rock for metal/prog music!

9938845_l.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #8,939 of 12,284
One of my favorite headphones that I have owned for metal/rock has been Grado RS2's (that's right RS2, not RS1). I also really enjoyed metal on my HiFiMAN HE500, they do drums, percussion, and midbass exceptionally well. I do also enjoy using Focal Elear's for metal and heavy guitar tracks, but my wife tends to complain as they bleed out sound like no other. I did get a chance to demo some of ZMF's offerings, and to my ears, it didn't do it for me for particular genre's, but that could have been a source, DAC or amp mismatch as well. I haven't a close-backed goto metal headphone yet, but perhaps I will do some more searching around this thread.

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #8,940 of 12,284
Auteur is semi open not a closed one...

Other small thing... Auteur with a custom made (by myself) cable with neotech occ copper Teflon insulated awg 26 solid core... Made a little step up in sound quality from standard cable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back