Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 10, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #8,911 of 12,302
What differensies and similaritys have LCD-2C, Auteur and Atticus? I ask cause i can loan LCD-2C but i´m very interest Auteur and Atticus.
Never listened to Atticus ...
But I got Auteur and listened to Lcd2c..

Auteur are bit brighter, faster and quite more detailed.

As Lcd2c are sweet headphones and actually best headphone at 700-800 euro price tag.. Auteur overcome them they cost twice the price but they are better in several aspects. Lcd2c may be better do long relaxing listening sessions... But when metal. Has to hit hard... Auteur hits harder faster and detailed.

May that they are complementary headphone..

Auteur in my opinion reminds me the he1000 and hex sound .... So a slightly warm sound but still has a lot of details, other warm headphone like lcd2, aeon ... Lacks in detail

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #8,912 of 12,302
What changes in sound from standard LCD 4?

They sounds pretty much the same. 4Z is lower impedance and easier to drive. It also has a magnesium housing, so it is much lighter.

Aug 11, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #8,913 of 12,302
Fang is going to put in the market the he6 se

That could be the top headphone for who wants a slightly bright sound .. One of the best can for heavy metal ever made. Expecially thrash metal...

Aug 11, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #8,914 of 12,302
What changes in sound from standard LCD 4?
Theyre supposed to sound the same, however the 2 demomodels i heard at the store struck me as different sounding. Im not sure if and why, the 4z just flashed me more but i couldnt put my finger on it. Thats probably not to helpful lol. They are certainly more comfy...

Sep 9, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #8,915 of 12,302
Overwhelmed by this thread!
Any suggestion for headphones (with/without amp) in $600-$1000 (if including amp) range? I listen to mainly black/atmospheric metal, but on occasion throw in doom/thrash/power metal.

Sep 9, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #8,916 of 12,302
Fang is going to put in the market the he6 se

That could be the top headphone for who wants a slightly bright sound .. One of the best can for heavy metal ever made. Expecially thrash metal...
For metal, you want quick response and you want cymbal sounding region to not be rolled off sounding. So, 6-8k is pretty important, and needs good neutrality or greater there.

So, fast drivers. Maybe the speakers amps controlled it better, dunno. It's quite in-efficient, and generally planars sound to have fast response like electrostats. For metal, fast dynamic, planar, or electrostats would work best I think.

Sep 9, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #8,917 of 12,302
Any suggestion for headphones (with/without amp) in $600-$1000 (if including amp) range? I listen to mainly black/atmospheric metal, but on occasion throw in doom/thrash/power metal.

I'm considering Aeon Flow closed, LCD-2C, (LCD-2f or LCD-X if they are an upgrade), HE-560. I do have Schiit Valhalla tube amp.
Is there something better I should be looking at?

Sep 9, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #8,918 of 12,302
I'm considering Aeon Flow closed, LCD-2C, (LCD-2f or LCD-X if they are an upgrade), HE-560. I do have Schiit Valhalla tube amp.
Is there something better I should be looking at?

I like the AFC,but its lack of texture and impact made it a bad match for metal,for me.
I havent heard the LCD-2C or the fazored LCD-2,but I had a LCD-2pf and didnt like it for metal either.

Headphones that I do like for metal,in no particular order:

HE-500
AKG K240 sextetts
ATH AD2000s(non-X)
HE6
ZMF Atticus

How any of those would pair up with your amp I cannot say.

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #8,919 of 12,302

What sound you like?

Warm even if not detailed, afo

Easy listening and Equilibrate lcd2c

Fast and detailed hifiman sundara or. The new. Ananda .. May you want. To. Save money the. Still good 4xx or. 400i

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #8,920 of 12,302
I have been really enjoying my Focal Clear's for metal and rock music. They are very clear, dynamic and punchy sounding.

But now I'm wondering what headphones you guys use for mobile listening (closed back)? I have Takstar Pro 82 and Focal Listen but I'm searching if there is something better at 0 - 300€ price range?
B&O H6 Gen1/2? Sennheiser HD 25? Audio-Technica ATH-M60x or MSR7? NAD HP50?

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #8,921 of 12,302
Sennheiser HD 25s are very upfront but soft in presentation. If you can get past the clamp force they are stellar for rock that doesn't require big soundstage, symphonic or whatever. Isolation is up there with the best, after all they are favourite choice among DJs.

Sep 15, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #8,922 of 12,302
Wow, this thread is still as active as ever. Long time no see, everyone. Lol. Six months without headphones later and I'm only just now starting to miss it (read: this hobby) a little bit. I'm a bit shocked to see that the Audeze Mobius isn't out by now. Any thoughts at all on them from someone who has heard them? Not expecting anything remotely close to AFC quality, but for the price... is it a solid product? Would I be better off looking into some cheap[ish] IEM's?

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #8,923 of 12,302
Are there any big black metal and/or punk fans in here? I'm happy with my setup but wonder if I could sell some of my equipment for a better BM experience. My main go-to for black metal are my HD595s and Schiit Lyr via Schiit Gungnir (or Bifrost when travelling). I also have LCD-2s, 2fs, and 3fs and an HE-6. The LCDs are godlike with bass heavy hard rock (Queens of the Stone Age for example) and female vocals and the HE-6s (all of these I run through a First Watt F1) are awesome with death metal/generally well produced music but honestly I find the 595s through the Lyr as being the most enjoyable listen - the music just has more bite and energy and it handles poorly produced music well. The LCDs handle bad production well also but have a lot less bite.

I also have a pair of AKG K240 SEXTETT that are awesome in their own right but not *always* the best fit.

When I listen to something that fits well with the HE-6s and LCDs it's a practically transcendental experience. I guess I feel like I should be able to find something that elevates the music to the same level for BM as well. Like - I'd say the LCDs take QOTSA and Regina Spektor and make them 200% more engaging, I'd say the HD595s make BM 50% better and the AKGs 75%. But maybe because of the poor production there's a lower "ceiling" so to speak? Having three LCD-s is frankly really excessive :p, so if there's a good direction to throw my money in I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #8,924 of 12,302
Are there any big black metal and/or punk fans in here? I'm happy with my setup but wonder if I could sell some of my equipment for a better BM experience. My main go-to for black metal are my HD595s and Schiit Lyr via Schiit Gungnir (or Bifrost when travelling). I also have LCD-2s, 2fs, and 3fs and an HE-6. The LCDs are godlike with bass heavy hard rock (Queens of the Stone Age for example) and female vocals and the HE-6s (all of these I run through a First Watt F1) are awesome with death metal/generally well produced music but honestly I find the 595s through the Lyr as being the most enjoyable listen - the music just has more bite and energy and it handles poorly produced music well. The LCDs handle bad production well also but have a lot less bite.

I also have a pair of AKG K240 SEXTETT that are awesome in their own right but not *always* the best fit.

When I listen to something that fits well with the HE-6s and LCDs it's a practically transcendental experience. I guess I feel like I should be able to find something that elevates the music to the same level for BM as well. Like - I'd say the LCDs take QOTSA and Regina Spektor and make them 200% more engaging, I'd say the HD595s make BM 50% better and the AKGs 75%. But maybe because of the poor production there's a lower "ceiling" so to speak? Having three LCD-s is frankly really excessive :p, so if there's a good direction to throw my money in I'm all ears.

I’d recommend a ZMF Auteur in Blackwood or Cocobolo. Those are both denser woods that have a thicker, heavier, more impactful sound. They are nicely forgiving but also very revealing. IMO, they offer some of the best parts of both the LCDs and the HE-6, so I think you’ll love em. Here’s a pic I just snapped of mine:

91CCA8E4-6BE7-4B56-B562-5224B3100EF2.jpeg

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #8,925 of 12,302

Im not sure I understand your question. Are you wanting a headphone to make the piss poor production of punk and black metal better?
It seems to me that one would want a fast headphone,and you already have the HE-6,not to mention the Sextetts are pretty damn fast too. The only other fast headphone I have is the ATH AD2000s(non-X),which are similar to the Sextett sound,slightly less forward mids but still stellar,and a bit colder sounding. They are tough to find though.

If you want to go in the complete opposite direction and go uber warm with thick mid bass and again,great mids,try the ZMF Atticus. They have similar sound to the LCD line but better mids and detail IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back