Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Nov 8, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #8,146 of 12,293
Should have specified my use and budget probably! Looking to spend up to $800 and it can be stationary. So far considering Jot, Asgard, and Liquid Carbon. I've had a few issues using vintage receivers in the past and would want to keep the finickiness to a minimum. Though, it would be nice to have another option to hook my tape deck up to.

Sounds like I will spend some more time trying to get the Slants to shine rather than switching gears. If anyone else has specific experience with the LFFs and can recommend a clean, resolving amp that would be much appreciated.

Skip the Asgard for sure... the other amps are significantly better. IMO, the Liquid Carbon is a very nice step up from the Jot. You should be able to find that within your budget pretty easily. That's the route I'd go, personally.

Nov 8, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #8,147 of 12,293
Speaker taps? Forgive the ignorance as im not familiar with Paradox slant,and a quick Google didnt give me any specs....what is the sensitivity?

Vintage gear can be hit and miss...My Kenwood Eleven GX is a problem child,meanwhile my Onkyo and recently acquired Aika are pain-free vintage goodness.

It's 98dB, but it doesn't look like he's going that route. I only brought it up because my ZMF Ori packs a sweet punch out of my old Marantz.

Nov 8, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #8,148 of 12,293
yup,i imgine your Marantz does it well...Believe it or not the La Figaro 339 has the balls to drive my Blackwoods well too!

Nov 8, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #8,149 of 12,293
Having gone the receiver route in the past, I think I'll be sticking with headphone specific gear for the time being.

@Hansotek: You mentioned the LC edging out the Jot- is this in some aspect particularly or overall? One of the reasons the Jot is so appealing is that, using the internal DAC, you have balanced all the way through. Currently using a Mimby (and not sure when/if I'll replace with a Gumby) and not sure if going SE to balanced will compromise the linearity of the output? Basically: does a slightly less resolving balance in/balance out setup beat out a SE in/balance out setup?

edit: if this is getting too far OT, I can ask this question elsewhere. just happy to ask a group with similar listening preferences...

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #8,150 of 12,293
Having gone the receiver route in the past, I think I'll be sticking with headphone specific gear for the time being.

@Hansotek: You mentioned the LC edging out the Jot- is this in some aspect particularly or overall? One of the reasons the Jot is so appealing is that, using the internal DAC, you have balanced all the way through. Currently using a Mimby (and not sure when/if I'll replace with a Gumby) and not sure if going SE to balanced will compromise the linearity of the output? Basically: does a slightly less resolving balance in/balance out setup beat out a SE in/balance out setup?

edit: if this is getting too far OT, I can ask this question elsewhere. just happy to ask a group with similar listening preferences...

It is clearly a step up overall. They're both killer at their price point, but the LC is definitely the better device.

Balanced throughout is really not as big of an advantage as you might think. The phase splitter implementation in the Carbon is also quite good and most people can't really tell the difference. The DAC in the Jotenheim is also not very good, which completely offsets any advantages having a fully balanced end-to-end setup offers. Your current DAC is definitely a setup up on the digital side. If you do step up to the Gumby, that will be a nice upgrade, as well. IMO, that's a great DAC.

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #8,153 of 12,293
Anyone here using the Mr Speakers Ether Flow for Metal?

Just tested them for the first time and they are awesome...
I used to own one and I'm a big metal fan all the way, pretty much 90% of my listening are metal music.
They are quite good, generous bass, with good body, and way better attack and dynamic compared to normal Ether.
But I sold it in the end.

Nov 13, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #8,155 of 12,293
So, is there a conclusive decision on the ultimate solution? If not, the top 3?

There is, depending on what types of metal you listen to. There is a very complex grading posted somewhere in this thread.

If you want something more universal, roll with a universal type of headphone, like HD600, LCD-4, ie800, RE2000, or such.

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #8,156 of 12,293
There is, depending on what types of metal you listen to. There is a very complex grading posted somewhere in this thread.

If you want something more universal, roll with a universal type of headphone, like HD600, LCD-4, ie800, RE2000, or such.
All I can say is that the Senn HD800 sounded like warm dog doo with metal. I couldn't even hear the music over the crowd at the Head-Fi meet in Burlingame. To note, nothing I tried had any volume to it there...

Nov 13, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #8,157 of 12,293
So, is there a conclusive decision on the ultimate solution? If not, the top 3?

I think the big lesson of this thread has been the "ultimate solution" is the best pick for your genre preferences that your budget will allow. The "solution" has become more of a database of information to help people find what they need, but I know you are asking about something more specific. Since metal is such a wide-open genre with so many different kinds of music, I'd say it would have to be a bit of an all-rounder with lots of drive and dynamic impact that is still forgiving enough to deal with less than perfect production.

Cost no object? The Abyss is pretty tough to beat. At a more reasonable cost, I feel (after comparing the two extensively) that the ZMF Auteur isn't terribly far behind for metal. And, of course, there's always the old used Hifiman HE-6 and speaker amp route - though, given the uneven product quality and the cost/inconvenience of a speaker amp, I'm more inclined to recommend the Auteur going forward.

Nov 13, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #8,158 of 12,293
I think the big lesson of this thread has been the "ultimate solution" is the best pick for your genre preferences that your budget will allow. The "solution" has become more of a database of information to help people find what they need, but I know you are asking about something more specific. Since metal is such a wide-open genre with so many different kinds of music, I'd say it would have to be a bit of an all-rounder with lots of drive and dynamic impact that is still forgiving enough to deal with less than perfect production.

Cost no object? The Abyss is pretty tough to beat. At a more reasonable cost, I feel (after comparing the two extensively) that the ZMF Auteur isn't terribly far behind for metal. And, of course, there's always the old used Hifiman HE-6 and speaker amp route - though, given the uneven product quality and the cost/inconvenience of a speaker amp, I'm more inclined to recommend the Auteur going forward.

Ah, thanks! I'm goal oriented and want to set myself up for success. No goals = no success.

So far, the most expensive pair I have been allowed to purchase is the Mr. Speaker Alpha Dogs. I still need to demo them more, I just have no time to listen to headphones. All I get is my IEM's riding my motorcyle to work.

Someday, someday I will be old and retired (again)...

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #8,159 of 12,293
And, of course, there's always the old used Hifiman HE-6 and speaker amp route - though, given the uneven product quality and the cost/inconvenience of a speaker amp, I'm more inclined to recommend the Auteur going forward.

Vintage receivers fail from time to time after 50+ years of service,and most issues can be remedied for under 200.00 usd.

After two driver failures in a single year,on a brand new pair I felt compelled to sell my HE-6 before the warranty expired.I am absolutely bitter about my HE-6 experience.Based upon sound alone it was amazing,and I know that to get into the same class of sound several thousand more dollars were needed to get there.Cant afford that,so im out of luck....

If anything the receiver part of the vintage gear+HE-6 equation is the most reliable part.

Ironic.

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #8,160 of 12,293
Ah, thanks! I'm goal oriented and want to set myself up for success. No goals = no success.

So far, the most expensive pair I have been allowed to purchase is the Mr. Speaker Alpha Dogs. I still need to demo them more, I just have no time to listen to headphones. All I get is my IEM's riding my motorcyle to work.

Someday, someday I will be old and retired (again)...

"No goals = no success" is a great motto! I'm adopting that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back