Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 26, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #8,117 of 12,295
Good news!
So, with i4 u can listen easy the cymbals?

That depends on your source, your individual sensitivity and the actual tracks you're listening to.

Oct 27, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #8,119 of 12,295
My plan is listen it with my dx200 + amp 5 ( it's will be 3.5mm high-power )
But, for a moment it will be use with amp1 stock
I don't know, but the amp1 in 3.5mm can drive it perfect? hmmm,,,,,,

I haven't heard that particular combo. You'll probably want to try the dx200 or i4 thread.

Oct 28, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #8,120 of 12,295
Got in my review unit of the ZMF Auteur yesterday. Didn't take long to confirm what I suspected all along...

OMG, THIS HEADPHONE IS METAL AF!

I mean nobody should be surprised given that Atticus and Eikon were pretty stellar for metal... but this thing is another level, IMHO. The clarity on the low end is so silly good... those basslines buried deep in the mix are so clear and the drums just pound you with such violent, visceral force. Love the frequency balance, just a little on the warm and forgiving side. It's just eating up everything I throw at it. Lots more to come... \m/

10020254.jpg

Great pic! beautiful.

I spy a Glenn OTL also...that should be great pairing....:)

Those headphones look wonderful.

I will be ordering an Atticus real soon and I can't wait to finally get to hear it.

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #8,121 of 12,295
Great pic! beautiful.

I spy a Glenn OTL also...that should be great pairing....:)

Those headphones look wonderful.

I will be ordering an Atticus real soon and I can't wait to finally get to hear it.

Yeah man, I bought the Glenn OTL pretty much specifically to drive the ZMF dynamic headphones. The synergy is 10/10. Makes them absolutely sing!

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #8,122 of 12,295
Hi everyone, I’m looking for closed-back headphones for around $150 to replace M40xs. They did have an amazing sound quality but had a poor soundstage and made me discover I need a slightly warmer sound. Also, they were not very comfortable and the joints that let the earcups swivel looked so weak I didn’t feel confident when putting them on.

I listen mainly to heavy, power, prog, symphonic and thrash metal.

I play 320kbps songs from my iPod 4 and my laptop.

Good isolation would be welcome because I sometimes wear them on the bus.

Finally, they must not be too bulky so I can carry them easily in a compact hardcase.

This is what I have gathered from reviews about some interesting options:

• Sony MDR-100AAP: My best option so far. Portable, comfortable and sturdy, but I don’t know if they’re good for metal. Poor isolation. I can get them for $105 US.
  • Sony MDR-7506: Quality build. The sound signature may be too neutral for my tastes.
  • Sennheiser HD380 Pro: Good isolation, maybe a bit tight. Not really for metal.

• Sennheiser HD598 Cs: Very comfortable, but not portable and not good for metal.

• Beyerdynamic DT770: Good sound but not carriable. Expensive and I may need an amp.

• Shure SRH840: Fold but the sound signature may be too flat. Expensive.

Please correct me on these based on your experience. Feel free to suggest more if you have better ideas.

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #8,123 of 12,295
I love Martian with Metal music... Really do.

Hi everyone, I’m looking for closed-back headphones for around $150 to replace M40xs. They did have an amazing sound quality but had a poor soundstage and made me discover I need a slightly warmer sound. Also, they were not very comfortable and the joints that let the earcups swivel looked so weak I didn’t feel confident when putting them on.

I listen mainly to heavy, power, prog, symphonic and thrash metal.

I play 320kbps songs from my iPod 4 and my laptop.

Good isolation would be welcome because I sometimes wear them on the bus.

Finally, they must not be too bulky so I can carry them easily in a compact hardcase.

This is what I have gathered from reviews about some interesting options:

• Sony MDR-100AAP: My best option so far. Portable, comfortable and sturdy, but I don’t know if they’re good for metal. Poor isolation. I can get them for $105 US.
  • Sony MDR-7506: Quality build. The sound signature may be too neutral for my tastes.
  • Sennheiser HD380 Pro: Good isolation, maybe a bit tight. Not really for metal.

• Sennheiser HD598 Cs: Very comfortable, but not portable and not good for metal.

• Beyerdynamic DT770: Good sound but not carriable. Expensive and I may need an amp.

• Shure SRH840: Fold but the sound signature may be too flat. Expensive.
Please correct me on these based on your experience. Feel free to suggest more if you have better ideas.

At 150$, Ultrasone Dj One Pro if you can find them .

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #8,125 of 12,295
Has anyone had the chance to compare between the Meze Classic and Neo when it comes to Metal?
I was meaning to test those 2 today only to be bummed out that the Neo in my local shop was out of stock.

I did

The differences are not big :smile_phones:

Both are quite enjoyable.

Biggest difference is in how they look and feel, not how they sound :L3000:

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #8,127 of 12,295
What options did you get on your OTL?

I will have to go back and double check with the seller. I think it is just the basic model. But there is a ECC31 to ECC33 adaptor for the 6SN7 slot, which allows me to use this killer Mullard in it.

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #8,128 of 12,295
Nov 3, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #8,130 of 12,295
I will have to go back and double check with the seller. I think it is just the basic model. But there is a ECC31 to ECC33 adaptor for the 6SN7 slot, which allows me to use this killer Mullard in it.

@mysticstryk - I checked with the previous owner, but he didn't remember if he had any upgrade options on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back