Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 18, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #8,101 of 12,302
In you 200-250 Euro price range, most headphones can be driven easily enough with a phone etc. that you could enjoy it while waiting to replenish funds for an amp.

I enjoyed the DT770s while I had them, but why not go for something new and shiny like the Meze 99 Neo?

I second Meze 99 Neo! It is much better than ATH M40 in every possible way in my humble opinion... Much airer sound, much better separation and much better expressed, more impactful bass, cleaner midrange and smoother treble. In fact, the part with the smoother treble might not appeal to absolutely everyone, but it has better detail and can be solved with EQ.

I third the Meze. Excellent in a lot of ways, and a great price!

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #8,102 of 12,302
Thanks for the input guys!

I considered these, actually, but i've seen some quite uninpressed reviews..also no stores sell them locally, and i don't really like buying stuff before i can listen to it/test it out..

The sound is the same as the classics. You can refer my review about the classics for sonic impressions.

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.ro/2017/04/meze-99-classics.html

As for trying them personally, that is good with any headphone.

If you can, try to testy DJ One from Ultrasone as well, it is also much better than the whole ATH MXX series. If you can test Meze 99C / 99Neo, you should give them a chance, they are really impressive.

Oct 18, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #8,103 of 12,302
I don't know how much love these get anymore, but I had a heck of a good experience with my Grado SR-225i's over the weekend. Sure, sub-bass is lacking. But the detail on Iron Maiden's "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" was incredible. They rivaled the HD-800S's in my stable, and the presentation/soundstage of the Grado's was perfect. I'm definitely going to put them in rotation a lot more often...

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #8,105 of 12,302
How about these new Klipsch Heritage H-3's? I like Klipsch speakers.

Klipsch Heritage H-3

They sound decent, but the detail level isn't where it should be for $1,199. They are definitely super fun. If you've heard any of the Denon D2K-D7K or Fostex TH600-900 variants, they basically sound like that with a little extra midrange.. but (thankfully) no irritating treble spike.

(Side note: If you also listen to EDM, they are great for that because they have a ton of subbass.)

I will say though that I met the team behind the headphones and they are super cool guys who really get the hobby. I get the feeling these guys are going to be big players going forward. I just think the H-3 is slightly overpriced relative to performance.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #8,106 of 12,302
They sound decent, but the detail level isn't where it should be for $1,199. They are definitely super fun. If you've heard any of the Denon D2K-D7K or Fostex TH600-900 variants, they basically sound like that with a little extra midrange.. but (thankfully) no irritating treble spike.

(Side note: If you also listen to EDM, they are great for that because they have a ton of subbass.)

I will say though that I met the team behind the headphones and they are super cool guys who really get the hobby. I get the feeling these guys are going to be big players going forward. I just think the H-3 is slightly overpriced relative to performance.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

They say this is semi open right? Does it isolate?

Any standout cans from canjam? for metal of course ^_^

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #8,107 of 12,302
If you've heard any of the Denon D2K-D7K or Fostex TH600-900 variants, they basically sound like that with a little extra midrange.. but (thankfully) no irritating treble spike.

I have not... The most expensive pair I have are the Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs...

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #8,108 of 12,302
They say this is semi open right? Does it isolate?

Any standout cans from canjam? for metal of course ^_^

It's fairly open. Not much isolation.

I posted a link to my CanJam show report on the previous page, in case you didn't see it. My favorites for metal were probably the ZMF Auteur (which still hammers hard as hell, but has greater detail, clarity and openness - relative to A & E), and I think the Acoustic Research AR-H1 might be a contender too - I was really impressed by how complete and well-rounded it was for $599. I'm getting both in for review fairly soon.

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #8,109 of 12,302
It's fairly open. Not much isolation.

I posted a link to my CanJam show report on the previous page, in case you didn't see it. My favorites for metal were probably the ZMF Auteur (which still hammers hard as hell, but has greater detail, clarity and openness - relative to A & E), and I think the Acoustic Research AR-H1 might be a contender too - I was really impressed by how complete and well-rounded it was for $599. I'm getting both in for review fairly soon.

I saw it mate, thx.

I just was not sure if your impression there are for music in general or only for metal, I honestly only care about Rock and Metal and maybe Jazz(super rare), but from you wrote I can see that you are super impressed with the Auteur.

I too want to give it a try, but couldn't, I entered their contest asking for Bloodwood cup, hehe

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #8,110 of 12,302
I don't know how much love these get anymore, but I had a heck of a good experience with my Grado SR-225i's over the weekend. Sure, sub-bass is lacking. But the detail on Iron Maiden's "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" was incredible. They rivaled the HD-800S's in my stable, and the presentation/soundstage of the Grado's was perfect. I'm definitely going to put them in rotation a lot more often...
I have been using grado 325e this weekend. Awesome sound. Don't care what anyone says

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #8,111 of 12,302
I saw it mate, thx.

I just was not sure if your impression there are for music in general or only for metal, I honestly only care about Rock and Metal and maybe Jazz(super rare), but from you wrote I can see that you are super impressed with the Auteur.

I too want to give it a try, but couldn't, I entered their contest asking for Bloodwood cup, hehe

Nice. Good luck with the contest!

Regarding impressions: about 2/3 of the booths have Tidal and let you pick your own tunes, and several others just have their own collections... between that and traffic at the booth I don't get to jam as much metal as I'd like, but if I get the feeling something is going to be great for metal, I usually find a way to test it out.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #8,112 of 12,302
I have been using grado 325e this weekend. Awesome sound. Don't care what anyone says

IMO, 325e was the best of the entire prestige series. That's a worthy headphone period.

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #8,113 of 12,302
Got in my review unit of the ZMF Auteur yesterday. Didn't take long to confirm what I suspected all along...

OMG, THIS HEADPHONE IS METAL AF!

I mean nobody should be surprised given that Atticus and Eikon were pretty stellar for metal... but this thing is another level, IMHO. The clarity on the low end is so silly good... those basslines buried deep in the mix are so clear and the drums just pound you with such violent, visceral force. Love the frequency balance, just a little on the warm and forgiving side. It's just eating up everything I throw at it. Lots more to come... \m/

10020254.jpg

Attachments

• Auteur1.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 26, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #8,115 of 12,302
How is lcd i4 for metal and rock? the lcd i4 have a dark sound signature?
ty

It's fantastic. It's great for pretty much everything, honestly. I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it "dark", it's a bit warm... the bass is very tight, visceral and satisfying; and the treble is very well controlled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back