Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 21, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #7,201 of 12,293

Monster, would you say it is another level in slam from HE-400/HE-500?

HE-500 is one of my favorite headphones, period, so I think if I ever go for another flagship it would be the 6... 

Theres zero comparison.I can drive both from speaker taps,so Ive measured them from the same amping....

The HE-500 was my 3rd real headphone(after HD600 and Beyer T1.1)and when I heard the 500 for the first time I was blown away by the midbass impact of the 500s,but then I got the HE-6,and its clearly on a totally different level for impact...its not even really close.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #7,202 of 12,293
Funny, I've got T1.1 and HE-500 now. Think they are both excellent, but yeah HE-500 takes the cake for me. T1.1 doesn't have much grunt in the low end but I love the soundstage, openness, and detail.

Sounds like I'm headed in your general direction here someday :)

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #7,203 of 12,293
5. ZMF Eikon on a good setup - when I listened to these on the Cavalli Liquid Tugsten prototype, they were almost as good as the Abyss.

I find it super interesting you say this.

I've heard not a single good thing about anything Cavalli.

I would think an AGD would give them more impact.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #7,204 of 12,293
Funny, I've got T1.1 and HE-500 now. Think they are both excellent, but yeah HE-500 takes the cake for me for now.

Sounds like I'm headed in your general direction here someday :)
lol. I jumped from the T1.1 and HE500 to the LCD-4. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three [AB-1266, LCD-4, or HE-6] if you want more impact. All of them should satisfy.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #7,205 of 12,293
I think I'd be leaning toward the HE-6 because it is a good deal cheaper even with the extra amp I'd need.

I'm sure I'd love the LCD4 too, but I tend to lean towards a more exciting sound signature, and it seems to be that the HE-6 or the Abyss would be a little more "exciting" overall than the LCD4. Not to knock it at all (I haven't heard any of these) but just off my experience with Audeze leaning a bit more towards the warmer, lusher side in general.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #7,206 of 12,293
oh ok thanks. btw im looking for a studio headphone mainly for mixing and listening to music obviously hahah. budget is around r70x's price. should i go for the r70x ? or the safer option the shure srh840 bcs the shure is praised here. oh and i listen to metal 80% of the time (opeth, dark tranquillity, dream theater). i just started studying music in college so the cans need to be for studio use. any other recommendation is really welcomed :pray:

This got lost in he mix,

I would not recommend the r70x for mixing, but for pure musical enjoyment they blow the doors off of the 840 when properly amped. (470 ohm)

They remind me of a dynamic version of the HE-500 in the mids, a bit of the HD600 in the treble and the HD650 in the bass department. They don't do any of the mentioned as well as, but as a complete package it is a fantastic headphone for the money!

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #7,207 of 12,293
If you need an IEM, listening at the moment to X5ii + ie800 + I did it for love 

Golden combo ! 

Love the guitar textures and the overall impact 
biggrin.gif

For a full headphone, 99C + EQ 
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #7,209 of 12,293
I find it super interesting you say this.

I've heard not a single good thing about anything Cavalli.

I would think an AGD would give them more impact.

Lol! I don't know what circles you've been getting your information from, but Cavalli gear is fantastic. I've heard every Cavalli amp from the previous generation and the current generation, and I can assure you, they are quite good. I used to own the Audio-GD Master-9, and it could barely beat out the entry level Cavalli Liquid Carbon, which is less than half the price.

Scaling up, it becomes downright laughable... the Master-9 is like a robot trying to learn human emotions, it just can't put the soul into it (which is probably a byproduct of too many digital components in the signal chain). The Liquid Gold is perfectly transparent- like being in the room with the artist. The Liquid Tungsten is another thing entirely... it's transparency + inspiration. It not just like being there in the room with the artist for the performance, it's like being there at the moment of creation. It's like the song is being written for you, right there, in the moment. All of the Cavalli models I have heard have more impact than the Audio-GD amps.

And by the way, I have nothing against Audio-GD, I am a happy owner of a DAC-19, and I think a lot of Kingwa's stuff has a good price-to-performance ratio. It's just not as good as Alex's stuff.

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #7,210 of 12,293
Matter of interest would it be ideal for me to get a headphone amp further down the line such as the dragonfly black?

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #7,214 of 12,293
I heard the Ether electrostatic prototype head-to-head against an SR009 - both driven by the Blue Hawaii, mind you - and I definitely preferred the Mr. Speakers prototype. I also know he's targeting a <$3k price point.

This is what Headphone.guru had to say after the Source AV electrostatic event (http://headphone.guru/electrostatic-extravaganza-source-av-design-group/):

"The combination of the MrSpeakers ETHER E Electrostatic Headphone, the HeadAmp Blue Hawaii Special Edition Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier and the Chord DAVE FPGA DAC ($15,500) were without question my favorite sound of the event."

This is extremely encouraging, since both the Orpheus and Shangri-La were also at the event! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back