Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 21, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #7,173 of 12,314

Indeed, that should be the MrSpeakers Ether E, I can't wait for it to be available!

+1. This comment is on-point.

Now you two got me all curious about it 
eek.gif

Never heard Mr. Speakers headphones before as they aren't available in Romania, but man I am curious now 
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #7,177 of 12,314
The r70x are only $300 in Canada ($225 USD)

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?item_id=081822

@audiohurric4ne
, I have heard lots of good things about the r70x but unfortunately I have never heard them.

oh ok thanks. btw im looking for a studio headphone mainly for mixing and listening to music obviously hahah. budget is around r70x's price. should i go for the r70x ? or the safer option the shure srh840 bcs the shure is praised here. oh and i listen to metal 80% of the time (opeth, dark tranquillity, dream theater). i just started studying music in college so the cans need to be for studio use. any other recommendation is really welcomed :pray:

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #7,178 of 12,314
Now you two got me all curious about it :eek:

Never heard Mr. Speakers headphones before as they aren't available in Romania, but man I am curious now :wink:

I heard the Ether electrostatic prototype head-to-head against an SR009 - both driven by the Blue Hawaii, mind you - and I definitely preferred the Mr. Speakers prototype. I also know he's targeting a <$3k price point.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #7,179 of 12,314
I heard the Ether electrostatic prototype head-to-head against an SR009 - both driven by the Blue Hawaii, mind you - and I definitely preferred the Mr. Speakers prototype. I also know he's targeting a <$3k price point.

For someone who has never heard a proper e-stat,only read about the pros and cons,is lack of impact inherent on e-stats,or is Dan somehow overcoming that?

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #7,180 of 12,314
All I know is I've hit a point where I know dynamics are always gonna be my endgame. Say what you will about extension and smoothness and whatever else, the small amount of diaphragm movement on estats and planars means the impact is just not gonna be there. They can't move the kind of physical air a dynamic driver can, and I'm happy to take the shortcomings in the interest of that.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #7,181 of 12,314
  All I know is I've hit a point where I know dynamics are always gonna be my endgame. Say what you will about extension and smoothness and whatever else, the small amount of diaphragm movement on estats and planars means the impact is just not gonna be there. They can't move the kind of physical air a dynamic driver can, and I'm happy to take the shortcomings in the interest of that.

I agree that dynamics are awesome, I don't think estats or planars are superior to a dynamic, but I disagree on the statement about planars lacking impact, my he560 has some of the best bass I heard

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #7,182 of 12,314

What? Have you heard the HE-6/LCD-4/Abyss? Best bass I have yet to hear from any headphone.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #7,183 of 12,314

For someone who has never heard a proper e-stat,only read about the pros and cons,is lack of impact inherent on e-stats,or is Dan somehow overcoming that?

I only heard HE1 as eletrostat, nothing else. 

He1 did not lack any impact - in fact the impact was amazingly good. 

Please keep in mind that I tested with this so I know my impact pretty well! 

(Youtube quality is a bit potato,  lyrics are questionable, this is the metal threat tho)

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #7,184 of 12,314

I briefly heard Orpheus and Stax SR-009 and they seemed to have good bass extension. I imagine it's tricky to get that balance right, probably one reason why electrostatics are usually so expensive?

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #7,185 of 12,314

I briefly heard Orpheus and Stax SR-009 and they seemed to have good bass extension. I imagine it's tricky to get that balance right, probably one reason why electrostatics are usually so expensive?

I only heard HE1 as eletrostat, nothing else. 

He1 did not lack any impact - in fact the impact was amazingly good. 

Please keep in mind that I tested with this so I know my impact pretty well! 

(Youtube quality is a bit potato,  lyrics are questionable, this is the metal threat tho)

OK,allow me to re-phrase...E-stats that arent considered unobtainium price wise...do they generally lack impact(not extension)?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back