Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 19, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #7,142 of 12,302
  And... in this thread have list/comparation of IEM high end ( 1000usd ~ ) best for metal?, mi actually iem is shure se846

Sennheiser ie800 
biggrin.gif

there are many comparisons around with ie800 vs 846, it basically does treble with more sparkle so music sounds more vivid. As metal is a cymbal driven music, ie800 does a good job! 

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #7,143 of 12,302

Sennheiser ie800 
biggrin.gif

there are many comparisons around with ie800 vs 846, it basically does treble with more sparkle so music sounds more vivid. As metal is a cymbal driven music, ie800 does a good job! 

yeah.
But metal is fast, and ie800 make bad work here.
One dinamic driver in iem don't make a good job, separation is bad in my opinion ( bass, highs ). I think it03 is better than ie800 in metal.

I like b.a or b.a + DD iem solution for metal..

My actually upgrade is Ibasso dx200 + effect audio cable eros II+ shure se846 blue filter mod.

Hmmm i can add anything?
Actually metal records are bad because the range dynamic cut cymbals very hards.. someone listen metallica 80's albums? cymbals sounds REALLY good!, actually metal sounds very lacky... of cymbals. In death magnetic not, that is a abomination..
I think the problem is not the iem/headphones.. is the poor records :/

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #7,144 of 12,302

yeah.
One dinamic driver in iem don't make a good job, separation is bad in my opinion ( bass, highs ). I think it03 is better than ie800 in metal.

I like b.a or b.a + DD iem solution for metal..

My actually upgrade is Ibasso dx200 + effect audio cable eros II+ shure se846 blue filter mod.

Hmmm i can add anything?
Actually metal records are bad because the range dynamic cut cymbals very hards.. someone listen metallica 80's albums? cymbals sounds REALLY good!, actually metal sounds very lacky... of cymbals. In death magnetic not, that is a abomination..
I think the problem is not the iem/headphones.. is the poor records :/

If you haven't heard ie800 yet, better give it a try. Even tho it is a single dynamic driver design, it is the best single dynamic driver design out there. 

I think the mids sound better on ie800 than most BA's I tested, especially guitar solos are nice 

I have not heard it03, curious to hear it tho! 

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #7,145 of 12,302

If you haven't heard ie800 yet, better give it a try. Even tho it is a single dynamic driver design, it is the best single dynamic driver design out there. 

I think the mids sound better on ie800 than most BA's I tested, especially guitar solos are nice 

I have not heard it03, curious to hear it tho! 

No I have a friend who does. He have a both iems, and he said the se846 is superior un detail and separation...
For me is important:
- Separation of frecuency
- Impact
- Good and transparent bass, not boomy
- Good balance
But i don't know.. change iems, upgrade all... i think is not the good way. The first is the production can do better job...

Months ago i test beyerdynamic like t5p II, t1, audeeze X, XC and i don't find i want.
Well, i make a question '' is my cable? my dap '' i test my shure with ak240 SS and eros II+, and not.
But i found a ride the lightninght disc with really really good Dynamic Range and YES, with my phone i listened what i wanted !
Something i said this... is not my setup, but hype '' ... '' is strong
floatsmile.png

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #7,146 of 12,302
Sennheiser ie800 :D

yeah.
One dinamic driver in iem don't make a good job, separation is bad in my opinion ( bass, highs ).

If you haven't heard ie800 yet, better give it a try.

No I have a friend who does.

Bastianpp Please be careful stating your opinion as fact - especially about something you've never heard for yourself...

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #7,147 of 12,302
Bastianpp Please be careful stating your opinion as fact - especially about something you've never heard for yourself...

Absolutely!

Ie800 is that one iem that defies reality. I actually heard most totl IEMs I could and ie800's one driver worked better for those ears.

It's juicy, the separation is better than even some of the best full headphones and it is the end of the line iem fo me.

Not saying that other people won't like other iems better, but ie800 is ie800. The only thing besides fiio x5ii and my huge collection of metal (pink to death) that I still like after all those years.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #7,148 of 12,302
Unfortunately the stock pads of the Teaks contribute to their smoother treble response, so changing them out can have some nasty consequences if your sensitive to that area.

The Ori will always have a smoother treble than any of the Foster designs, just the way Zach tunes them.

Interestingly, as I dislike the stock pads, I already had a deal in place to sell them and replace them with Ori pads before the Teaks even arrived. I sold them to someone who LOVES the stock TH-X00 pads and only wanted stock pads. I sold him my EMU Teak stock pads, and he confirmed that those pads are identical. So there must be something else going on that affects the sound. I know the Teak wood sounds a little different, but I'm not sure what else they did to tame the treble and make these the most neutral of the TH-Series variants. 

I do like them tremendously. I was playing MGS5 last night through the Schiit Stack, and positional cues were surprisingly good (owing in part to the boosted treble.)

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #7,149 of 12,302
I had a good look at the Grados as I listen to similar genres, they have good write ups everywhere. Shuto77 recommended Meze99 classics with a dragonfly black amp for cellphone use.....

I would like to know if anyone else has more input to bring out the best for metal?

Sorry I did not follow the thread this weekend.

I'm still using my pair of Meze everyday at the office.  (With the DragonFly Red)

Just let me know if you have any questions.

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #7,150 of 12,302
I am trying to decide between mezze 99 or focal listen to use with my fiio x5 v3. I was going to go for grado 325i but the other two seem more recommended.

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #7,151 of 12,302
I am trying to decide between mezze 99 or focal listen to use with my fiio x5 v3. I was going to go for grado 325i but the other two seem more recommended.

In my opinion the Meze 99C are much better than the Focal Listen but to be honest with you, I removed the Focal from my head after 5 minutes because I didn't like the sound signature.

Maybe I was in a bad mood on that day but anyway I didn't like the Focal at all, they look very cheap beside the Meze.

What kind of sound signature you are looking for ?

I have heard pretty much all the portable headphones under $500 and in my opinion nothing can touch the Meze 99C.

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #7,152 of 12,302

I would go with 99C against the other options. Makes a good pair with X5-3!

In my opinion the Meze 99C are much better than the Focal Listen but to be honest with you, I removed the Focal from my head after 5 minutes because I didn't like the sound signature.

Maybe I was in a bad mood on that day but anyway I didn't like the Focal at all, they look very cheap beside the Meze.

What kind of sound signature you are looking for ?

I have heard pretty much all the portable headphones under $500 and in my opinion nothing can touch the Meze 99C.

Under 500$ ?

Closed back, the 99C EQ'ed are probably the best bet. 

Open back - maybe HD600 from senn. 

I found which headphone is the best for metal 
biggrin.gif

Sennheiser HE-1 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Had the chance to hear HE-1 today. Really really good with metal. Can do Dance Gavin Dance and Obscurcis Romancia really good. 

I would only say this: I entered the store wearing 99C + FiiO X5-2, heard a ton of headphones and HE-1, then walked out wearing 99C + X5-2. I was able to enjoy music really good on X5-2 + 99C even after hearing all those expensive headphones 
eek.gif

My 99C is EQ'ed and will sound similar to ie800 actually so there's this detail, but still. It is this good. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #7,153 of 12,302
I am looking for headphones to get the best out of my fiio. I like all sorts of music but metal is my passion. Immortal, emperor, funeral mist, marduk, behemoth, amon amarth, iron maiden, morbid Angel, cryptopsy, entombed, autopsy, Ulver, dimmu borgir and tons more

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #7,154 of 12,302
I am looking for headphones to get the best out of my fiio. I like all sorts of music but metal is my passion. Immortal, emperor, funeral mist, marduk, behemoth, amon amarth, iron maiden, morbid Angel, cryptopsy, entombed, autopsy, Ulver, dimmu borgir and tons more

Depends a lot on your tastes.

But keep this in mind: 99C respond the best to EQ from all headphones I tested. There is no distortion even after affecting the EQ by 12 dB to 18 dB - most headphones will act up and sound bad after heavy changes. 

Out of the box, 99c is interesting, euphoric, easy to listen to. 

After EQ, it can be turned almost into an ie800. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #7,155 of 12,302

All these bands sound great with the Meze, nice warm and musical sound with good extension at both end.  (Oh and yes the bass of the Meze is a little bit boosted)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back