Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Sep 19, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #4,951 of 12,302

Very nice setup! I am very inexperienced when it comes to balanced ouputs. Do not the Dac also need to be balanced Mojo is SE only from what I have seen , or is it enough that the amp and headphones are balanced?

the 3.5mm input jack will also go through the phase splitter, so when using it in balanced mode, it doesn't matter which input jack you use.

I once had the same question,and was answered in the liquid carbon forum. I suggest you give them a look.

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #4,952 of 12,302
  the 3.5mm input jack will also go through the phase splitter, so when using it in balanced mode, it doesn't matter which input jack you use.

I once had the same question,and was answered in the liquid carbon forum. I suggest you give them a look.

^ He is correct.

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #4,953 of 12,302
Just made my first-ever bad trade on HeadFi: I failed to confirm trader wasn't a smoker.

How do you get the cigarette smell out of something?

I can replace the pads on these HE-400s,but the headband smells so bad. It's literally unbearable.

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #4,954 of 12,302
Just made my first-ever bad trade on HeadFi: I failed to confirm trader wasn't a smoker.

I can replace the pads on these HE-400s,but the headband smells so bad. It's literally unbearable.

IMO, it's on him to disclosed it's been in a smoked in house. That is a major negative change in the stock condition of the headphone and not something a buyer/trader should expect to deal with. I would send them back, I don't think you can ever really get the smell out if you are sensitive to it.

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #4,955 of 12,302
IMO, it's on him to disclosed it's been in a smoked in house. That is a major negative change in the stock condition of the headphone and not something a buyer/trader should expect to deal with. I would send them back, I don't think you can ever really get the smell out if you are sensitive to it.

Furthermore, he just threw the $300 headphones in a box, no packaging or bubble wrap.

Really poor job.

I take great care in packing my stuff when I trade or sell, so I really wasn't expecting this.

I just requested that we exchange each other's items.

We'll see what happens.

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #4,956 of 12,302

I had that happen to me once. The seller was really cool about it though and refunded me and I returned the item.

Ever since, I always ask if smoke free if it's not stated in the listing.

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #4,957 of 12,302
  Everyone has different preferences but I think if you can afford and are able to use circumaural headphones, they just are so much more engaging than IEMs. There's definitely folks out there that prefer IEMs, but just some food for thought.

I used to work for a company that was in contact with Shure over making some parts for them, I got to listen to the SE846 for a day and compare it to my RE-600 IEMs. I was just using an iPhone but I actually preferred the RE-600 overall. I did think the SE846 was awesome for metal though, great midrange that really made guitars shine.

Hi, apologies for hijacking a conversation, but did you also prefer the RE-600 for metal over the SE846..?

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #4,960 of 12,302
Awesome thanks for the response! Could not wait any longer and bought the SE846 and the Mojo, guess Christmas came early. If you don't mind me asking what pair of full headphones do you usually go for?

I'd definitely suggest you try the jh rosie or Angie as well. The Angie handles highs better if you're a treble head like me. I like them so much I ordered the customs.

Another even better iem for metal are the earsonics S-EM9. Wickedly good IEM's.

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #4,961 of 12,302
I'd definitely suggest you try the jh rosie or Angie as well. The Angie handles highs better if you're a treble head like me. I like them so much I ordered the customs.

Another even better iem for metal are the earsonics S-EM9. Wickedly good IEM's.

I have always heard people say the upper mids and lower treble on Angie is recessed. That wouldn't work super well for guitars IMO. Do you find this?

The JH iems sure are expensive compared to other manufacturers. Not sure what to make of that.

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #4,962 of 12,302
I have always heard people say the upper mids and lower treble on Angie is recessed. That wouldn't work super well for guitars IMO. Do you find this?

The JH iems sure are expensive compared to other manufacturers. Not sure what to make of that.

The Rosie's aren't as clear sounding in the upper mids and highs. They are basically the Angie's without the extra 2 tweeters. That said the extra drivers in the Angie's make them more open and airy. High hats and cymbals sound much better imo.

If there is one complaint, I'd have to say that the Angie and Rosie are a tad thick sounding. If you go around 50% on the bass pod it's cleaner but it still has that thickness. It's very light though. You only really notice it with really thick metal.

But like I say, I've heard all of the siren series but the Roxanne and the Angie's are the most balanced from top to bottom of the series.

The Earsonics S-EM9 is a different iem though. Firstly they are lightning fast, extremely detailed yet very fun. Analytical yet musical. Thumping sub bass yet not overpowering. Smooth kids without harshness and sparkly without being sibilant. Soundstage is average tho but I can use them while gaming and not feel claustrophobic which is something I can't say about any other IEM's save the ER4. You'll hear stuff you never noticed before and get eargasms every time you plug them in your skull. Cables make a big difference since they are so revealing. They sound best with gold plated copper but 8 core silver works as well. That said if you really want lightweight the Linum BaX cables so the trick but you're missing some extension and resolution. It depends on your preferences as always.

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #4,963 of 12,302
I just got a Campfire Andromeda. Been listening to it a lot, not much metal yet. I will say these IEMs are very responsive to input. Best IEMs I have ever heard.

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #4,964 of 12,302
I'm starting to piece together a mid-fi desktop system. I need to find a USB DAC that can accept a signal from a Windows PC or an Android phone, and connect to a JDS Objective2 amp with RCA inputs (I traded the DT-990s for the amp). 

I'm looking to trade my Dunu DN-2000js for such a device.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance. 

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #4,965 of 12,302
  I'm starting to piece together a mid-fi desktop system. I need to find a USB DAC that can accept a signal from a Windows PC or an Android phone, and connect to a JDS Objective2 amp with RCA inputs (I traded the DT-990s for the amp). 

I'm looking to trade my Dunu DN-2000js for such a device.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance. 

Dude, the hd700 out of the SB X7 is insanely good:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back