Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 29, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #4,561 of 12,322
I'd go with the Oppo PM-3 or the Meze 99 Classic for your headphone choice then. They both are mid forward and handle female vocals beautifully. I might lean a touch more toward the Meze for your music, actually. Perhaps someone with both can confirm that, as I have spent a little time with the Meze but don't actually own it to go listen to Nightwish and Epica for you. The PM-3 sounded really nice though.

R2R is a type of DAC which uses a network of resistors for bit-perfect conversion. The alternative is Delta-Sigma conversion, which is 1-bit. Delta-Sigma is generally cheaper, more efficient and takes up less space on your desk. The problem with 1-bit conversion is that it is more prone to oversampling errors, which make the music sound harsher, less tonally accurate and more digital. R2R DACs are generally larger and more expensive, but also more tonally accurate and transparent. R2R was very popular in the 90's when people were moving from analog formats like vinyl and cassette tape to digital formats like CD's. But good converters were large and expensive, and as Delta-Sigma became smaller, cheaper and more convenient, R2R fell out of fashion.

To a great extent, Schiit is responsible for making it popular again with the release of Yggdrasil last year, and the subsequent releases of Gungnir Multibit and Bifrost Multibit. Other people have been in the game for a little longer, like Audio-GD, who has a couple of nice R2R DACs in the Master-7 and DAC-19. A few others have entered the fray now like Metrum Acoustics with the wonderfully analog sounding Musette. Most of those are going to be $1K or more (save the $600 Bifrost Multibit), but there are some older vintage units floating around used, which are quite good. My first R2R DAC was a Theta DS Pro Basic II, which is from 1992. Being that it predates USB, I had to use a separate transport to convert USB to Coax, BUT for $400, it had some of the most natural sounding drum reproduction I have ever heard. Dead-on timbre, very realistic dynamics, there is a ton of info locked away in those recordings. Granted, it was huge, a touch inconvenient and couldn't handle high res files (it maxed out at 16/48), but for $400, the accuracy of percussion instruments held up with DACs that cost 2-3X that price. It's a testament to a different era when the equipment was truly all about the sound.

adding to what @Hansotek said, I think if you listen to nightwish a lot (don't know bout Epica), I think pm-3 is the better choice than the meze, in my opinion nightwish as a symphonic metal bands puts more effort into the melody of the song in a sort of theatrical fashion in some way, so the singer(mids) is very important for their song to sound their best.

based on what I gather and my experience with pm-3, pm-3's mids is better than the meze, the bass is excellent but not as much in quantity in comparison to the meze(depends on your taste), and the highs is smooth in pm-3 but a little more sparkly in the meze(depends on what you like here).

btw my favourite songs of nightwish is Amaranth and While your lips are still red, these songs sounds excellent with pm-3.

although I think you should consider other bands too in your purchase IMO, as other metal bands usually need a little more bass than what the pm-3 has. if you listen to a lot of bands, the meze is better and also cheaper.

I'm not a basshead so I'm fine with pm-3

For portable closed, between the Pm3 and Momentum. I enjoyed Epica more on my Momentum and Nightwish more on my Pm3. These are bands I listen to A LOT of.

Awesome! Thanks a lot for your help guys. Based on your inputs, looks like I'm going for the Oppo PM-3. I should have consulted first. Oh how I wish I found this thread before buying my gears. I returned my Beyer DT 770 and bought a Sennheiser HD600. The HD600's are great though. Much better than the DT770s. The downside is just its open back. I prefer a closed back for isolation. Oh well. At least I know what to buy next. :)

@Hansotek, Thanks a lot for the info and history about R2R DAC. Impressively simple and clear. Now I have an idea on what DAC to get next.
@emptymt, Amaranth is one of my favorite Nightwish song too. Hehe. Its a good thing you pointed out that the mids on the PM3 are much better than the Meze since I prefer mids than bass.
@mysticstryk, Momentum looks good too but I guess Ill try another brand since I already got a Sennheiser. Oppo PM-3 that is. :)

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #4,562 of 12,322

Awesome! Thanks a lot for your help guys. Based on your inputs, looks like I'm going for the Oppo PM-3. I should have consulted first. Oh how I wish I found this thread before buying my gears. I returned my Beyer DT 770 and bought a Sennheiser HD600. The HD600's are great though. Much better than the DT770s. The downside is just its open back. I prefer a closed back for isolation. Oh well. At least I know what to buy next. :)

@Hansotek, Thanks a lot for the info and history about R2R DAC. Impressively simple and clear. Now I have an idea on what DAC to get next.
@emptymt, Amaranth is one of my favorite Nightwish song too. Hehe. Its a good thing you pointed out that the mids on the PM3 are much better than the Meze since I prefer mids than bass.
@mysticstryk, Momentum looks good too but I guess Ill try another brand since I already got a Sennheiser. Oppo PM-3 that is. :)

The Pm3 is a great headphone.  They respond well to EQ tweaking too if you need a bit more excitement from them.  Simones beautiful vocals will sound sublime on them. 

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #4,563 of 12,322
The Pm3 is a great headphone.  They respond well to EQ tweaking too if you need a bit more excitement from them.  Simones beautiful vocals will sound sublime on them. 

Agreed. They work super well with EQ!

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #4,564 of 12,322
  Ok that makes total sense. Flat cup version?? Trying to learn the terminology. Thanks for the help.

This is the flat cup version:
https://sg.carousell.com/p/55969878/?rank=2

This is the "chamber" cup version:
https://sg.carousell.com/p/30887076/?rank=3

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #4,565 of 12,322
For portable closed, between the Pm3 and Momentum. I enjoyed Epica more on my Momentum and Nightwish more on my Pm3. These are bands I listen to A LOT of.

For both of these bands my go-to-cans are the THX00. "BOMBASTIC" is the word I'd use.

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #4,567 of 12,322
Female vocals come out great? I'm planning on picking up the thx00 in the next drop or two.

Yep. The way it reproduces guitar riffs is also unbelievable. 

I've read in the comments section that Massdrop will soon release a new darker-wood version for the thx00. It's worth waiting.

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #4,568 of 12,322
Yep. The way it reproduces guitar riffs is also unbelievable. 

I've read in the comments section that Massdrop will soon release a new darker-wood version for the thx00. It's worth waiting.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm going to get the purpleheart or this new one.

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #4,572 of 12,322
Has anyone compared the Meze 99 Classics, the Fostex TH-X00 and the Sony MDR-Z7?

The Sonys can be had for $320 now, which sounds like a good deal.

@Aornic made a video about meze99 review in his youtube channel, in it he made comparisons to the TH-X00 and also the ZMF Omni.
you might want to check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGYb5Lvl1V4

not sure bout the sony but based on what I know the treble is toned down a lot for the purpose of fatigue free listening session, the treble of TH-X00 on the other hand is sparkly and is a little sibilant at times(the opposite of the sony), the meze99 is only slightly roll off but still sparkly just not as much as the fostex.

I myself never like the sony house sound, too dark for me.

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #4,573 of 12,322
@Aornic
made a video about meze99 review in his youtube channel, in it he made comparisons to the TH-X00 and also the ZMF Omni.
you might want to check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGYb5Lvl1V4

not sure bout the sony but based on what I know the treble is toned down a lot for the purpose of fatigue free listening session, the treble of TH-X00 on the other hand is sparkly and is a little sibilant at times(the opposite of the sony), the meze99 is only slightly roll off but still sparkly just not as much as the fostex.

I myself never like the sony house sound, too dark for me.

Thanks, I'll check out that video.

I really like the Mezes, but I do feel the treble is rolled off a tad.

I bumped up the treble region slightly in the USB Audio Pro app, which seems to have helped a bit, however.

If the Sonys have less detailed, less sparkly treble, I definitely won't like them.

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #4,574 of 12,322
Thanks, I'll check out that video.

I really like the Mezes, but I do feel the treble is rolled off a tad.

I bumped up the treble region slightly in the USB Audio Pro app, which seems to have helped a bit, however.

If the Sonys have less detailed, less sparkly treble, I definitely won't like them.

I think if you buy the meze and pair it with HA-2, it would help the treble a bit, this is just my opinion, but I think the HA-2 is more on the brighter side if you use the DAC as well(Sabre dac is the culprit).
I really don't like how it sounds with my ETHER, it make the ether sounds a bit bright, with metal recording(usually not as well recorded and can be harsh, at least to my ears) it can be troublesome.

It is up to you though ^_^

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #4,575 of 12,322
So, I am looking for some more suggestions. I have been suggested Audio Technica msr7 but I hate that they have memory foam as everything I have worn with it has annoyed it and felt like crap. I was also suggested the grado sr60 and grado sr80. I am looking for closed back. My budget is 50-100 but is flexible and I do have the music i listen to listed so I would appreciate some more suggestions. I am not sure about what tonal balance I am looking for other then something to enhance my listening experience. I don't know if I'd want a lot of bass often but I did listen to a pair of skullcandy hesh 2 and did enjoy the heavy bass from it for the few minutes I listened to it.

Budget - 50-100 flexible

Source - Samsung S6 Active, Computer

Requirements for Isolation - Yes there will be times I use them out of the house in public.

Preferred tonal balance - Not sure. I listen to 5 finger Deathpunch,Shinedown,Metallica,Disturbed,Godsmack,Creed,Aerosmith,1000 foot krutch. Some instrumentals Like Apocalyptica.

Past Headphones - Hurricane turbine 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back