Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 28, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #4,547 of 12,322
m50x,ath-msr7,shure srh840 or another pair of cans 200-250$ which is better?Help guys plz

I think the new Focal Listen is the one a lot of people have their eyes on at $250 right now. If I were looking for a headphone at that price, I'd keep an eye on the reviews when those start shipping at the beginning of July. If early impressions are to be believed, they sound like they are going to be significantly better than any of those three you mentioned.

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #4,549 of 12,322
Not sure if I'm posting at the right thread but..

What closed headphones is best for bands like Nightwish and Epica?

Thanks in advanced. :)

P.S. I'm using a Beyer DT770 Pro 250 Ohms and Im not satisfied with it due to its recessed mids and fake sounding drums (esp cymbals)

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #4,550 of 12,322

P.S. I'm using a Beyer DT770 Pro 250 Ohms and Im not satisfied with it due to its recessed mids and fake sounding drums (esp cymbals)

What's your budget?

Also, the best cure to fake sounding drums is to get a R2R DAC.

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #4,551 of 12,322
Hey everyone.This is the first time I am being serious and careful about the headphones I wear. Most times I just pick 20 or 30 dollar models and the last few pairs I did that with the left ear stopped working through blue tooth so I am here looking for wired but with a detachable cable if possible. I don't mind spending a little more then 100 if I get 1 year+ out of them. I have been posting to the headphones area of Reddit for a few days to no avail so, hopefully someone here will give me some info. One thing I do not want is IEM's because my ears do not tolerate them really well.

Budget - 50-100 flexible

Source - Samsung S6 Active, Computer

Requirements for Isolation - Yes there will be times I use them out of the house in public.

Preferred tonal balance - Not sure. I listen to 5 finger Deathpunch,Shinedown,Metallica,Disturbed,Godsmack,

Creed,Aerosmith, 1000 foot krutch. Some instrumentals Like Apocalyptica.

Past Headphones - Hurricane turbine 2

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #4,552 of 12,322
If isolation were NOT a problem I'd tell you to get the Alessandro MS1 or Grado SR80e.
If in-ear were NOT a problem I'd tell you to get the Grado iGE.

In short, closed-back fullsize or on-ear is what you'd need, and the choices under $100 are really limited. I think the Sennheiser HD471 will serve you well (I had the HD448 and used it to listen to Metal and quite enjoyed it). If you don't mind Chinese stuffs then I suggest you try the Superlux HD685. But both of these will not be as good as Grados. 

And finally, if you can SPEND more on headphones that will definitely last you many years, go for the Audio Technica MSR7. It meets all of your requirements, is one of the best closed-backs for Metal/Rock 

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #4,553 of 12,322
  If isolation were NOT a problem I'd tell you to get the Alessandro MS1 or Grado SR80e.
If in-ear were NOT a problem I'd tell you to get the Grado iGE.

In short, closed-back fullsize or on-ear is what you'd need, and the choices under $100 are really limited. I think the Sennheiser HD471 will serve you well (I had the HD448 and used it to listen to Metal and quite enjoyed it). If you don't mind Chinese stuffs then I suggest you try the Superlux HD685. But both of these will not be as good as Grados. 

And finally, if you can SPEND more on headphones that will definitely last you many years, go for the Audio Technica MSR7. It meets all of your requirements, is one of the best closed-backs for Metal/Rock 

Thanks William. I have been reading posts on head-fi for a few days since most of my posts on headphones at reddit aren't being answered and I have begun to think perhaps I should just wear the Hurricanes as my everyday headphones and wearing these new ones just alone in my room so I can enjoy the sound the best. I do live with people so as long as they won't leak out to bother my roommates I would definitely consider the Grado's but I was reading another post and the 80 e's aren't as good as the 80 i's but then again they seem hard to find.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #4,554 of 12,322
Honestly which one between the SR80i and the SR80e is better is just audiophile nitpicking. There will be some difference and some people will say this one or that one is better but that doesn't guarantee that you'd like the sr80e more or vice versa. It's not night and day difference, just a small upgrade. I'm pretty sure many people will say they like the SR80e more.
If you decide to go the Grado route, you may also consider the Alessandro MS1. The flat cup version is of the same price as the SR80e and judging from your taste in music, will serve you well too.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #4,555 of 12,322
  Honestly which one between the SR80i and the SR80e is better is just audiophile nitpicking. There will be some difference and some people will say this one or that one is better but that doesn't guarantee that you'd like the sr80e more or vice versa. It's not night and day difference, just a small upgrade. I'm pretty sure many people will say they like the SR80e more.
If you decide to go the Grado route, you may also consider the Alessandro MS1. The flat cup version is of the same price as the SR80e and judging from your taste in music, will serve you well too.

Ok that makes total sense. Flat cup version?? Trying to learn the terminology. Thanks for the help.

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #4,557 of 12,322
Around $200-500

Whats R2R DAC?
I currently have Schiit Stack Uber.

I'd go with the Oppo PM-3 or the Meze 99 Classic for your headphone choice then. They both are mid forward and handle female vocals beautifully. I might lean a touch more toward the Meze for your music, actually. Perhaps someone with both can confirm that, as I have spent a little time with the Meze but don't actually own it to go listen to Nightwish and Epica for you. The PM-3 sounded really nice though.

R2R is a type of DAC which uses a network of resistors for bit-perfect conversion. The alternative is Delta-Sigma conversion, which is 1-bit. Delta-Sigma is generally cheaper, more efficient and takes up less space on your desk. The problem with 1-bit conversion is that it is more prone to oversampling errors, which make the music sound harsher, less tonally accurate and more digital. R2R DACs are generally larger and more expensive, but also more tonally accurate and transparent. R2R was very popular in the 90's when people were moving from analog formats like vinyl and cassette tape to digital formats like CD's. But good converters were large and expensive, and as Delta-Sigma became smaller, cheaper and more convenient, R2R fell out of fashion.

To a great extent, Schiit is responsible for making it popular again with the release of Yggdrasil last year, and the subsequent releases of Gungnir Multibit and Bifrost Multibit. Other people have been in the game for a little longer, like Audio-GD, who has a couple of nice R2R DACs in the Master-7 and DAC-19. A few others have entered the fray now like Metrum Acoustics with the wonderfully analog sounding Musette. Most of those are going to be $1K or more (save the $600 Bifrost Multibit), but there are some older vintage units floating around used, which are quite good. My first R2R DAC was a Theta DS Pro Basic II, which is from 1992. Being that it predates USB, I had to use a separate transport to convert USB to Coax, BUT for $400, it had some of the most natural sounding drum reproduction I have ever heard. Dead-on timbre, very realistic dynamics, there is a ton of info locked away in those recordings. Granted, it was huge, a touch inconvenient and couldn't handle high res files (it maxed out at 16/48), but for $400, the accuracy of percussion instruments held up with DACs that cost 2-3X that price. It's a testament to a different era when the equipment was truly all about the sound.

Jun 29, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #4,558 of 12,322

adding to what @Hansotek said, I think if you listen to nightwish a lot (don't know bout Epica), I think pm-3 is the better choice than the meze, in my opinion nightwish as a symphonic metal bands puts more effort into the melody of the song in a sort of theatrical fashion in some way, so the singer(mids) is very important for their song to sound their best.

based on what I gather and my experience with pm-3, pm-3's mids is better than the meze, the bass is excellent but not as much in quantity in comparison to the meze(depends on your taste), and the highs is smooth in pm-3 but a little more sparkly in the meze(depends on what you like here).

btw my favourite songs of nightwish is Amaranth and While your lips are still red, these songs sounds excellent with pm-3.

although I think you should consider other bands too in your purchase IMO, as other metal bands usually need a little more bass than what the pm-3 has. if you listen to a lot of bands, the meze is better and also cheaper.

I'm not a basshead so I'm fine with pm-3

Jun 29, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #4,559 of 12,322
New ATE-Hi Fi by Knowledge Zenith

Apple Retina iPad Mini 3G

Heavy Metal Heaven omg

Jun 29, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #4,560 of 12,322

For portable closed, between the Pm3 and Momentum. I enjoyed Epica more on my Momentum and Nightwish more on my Pm3. These are bands I listen to A LOT of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back