Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Dec 11, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #3,077 of 12,298
Dec 11, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #3,078 of 12,298
I think Pantera's "Cowboys from Hell" was my first metal record. Korn and Deftones both came out when I was about 14, so they took it to an all new level for me.

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #3,079 of 12,298
Metallica's black album came out when I was 14, and Faith No More's Epic was a hit the same year in NZ, it all started there for me. I rapidly backtracked through Metallica's back catalog, then started looking for other heavy music. I soon found Pantera starting with Vulgar Display of Power, and then White Zombies La Sexorcisto. Eventually I worked out that all of this started with Sabbath and got into them too. You might laugh at me saying I worked that out, but discovering music that got no radio play whatsoever prior to the internet, especially when you didn't really know anyone else into metal, was not that easy. I almost laugh at the notion of a music 'underground' these days.

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #3,080 of 12,298
Metallica's black album came out when I was 14, and Faith No More's Epic was a hit the same year in NZ, it all started there for me. I rapidly backtracked through Metallica's back catalog, then started looking for other heavy music. I soon found Pantera starting with Vulgar Display of Power, and then White Zombies La Sexorcisto. Eventually I worked out that all of this started with Sabbath and got into them too. You might laugh at me saying I worked that out, but discovering music that got no radio play whatsoever prior to the internet, especially when you didn't really know anyone else into metal, was not that easy. I almost laugh at the notion of a music 'underground' these days.

I remember, back in the day, we used to discover new metal by seeing which artists our favorite bands thanked in their liner notes.

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #3,082 of 12,298

hahaha!!! 

I don't know if you know Mgła. Their last album "Exercises in Futility" is awesome.

YYYEEESSSS!

https://bandcamp.com/zachgates

There's my collection for anyone curious. I got the ENTIRE Hypnotic Dirge discography, so there's a lot of filler from there, but otherwise, excellent stuff. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #3,083 of 12,298
My first taste of metal was a dual-cassette of Iron Maiden's Live After Death back in '85 - I still just love that album. There may be some over-dubs, but who cares. It's one of the best live metal albums of all time and a kind of "Best Of" for Maiden at that great point in time in their history.

Seventh Son is my favorite of their studio albums, what a great prog-metal piece that is!

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #3,085 of 12,298
Yeah, from today I can confirm that too. I got myself an SR-5 Gold (which is still quite comparable to current Stax headphones) and metal it is definitely the wrong genre for it. I am glad I didn't order one from japan, when he recommended it to me while asking for a new metal headphone. 

The issue is bass slam. Can't comment on the mega tier Stax, but everything else is missing the balls for metal.IMO
Stax is only great with classical music in my small opinion?

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #3,086 of 12,298
Yeah, from today I can confirm that too. I got myself an SR-5 Gold (which is still quite comparable to current Stax headphones) and metal it is definitely the wrong genre for it. I am glad I didn't order one from japan, when he recommended it to me while asking for a new metal headphone. 

The issue is bass slam. Can't comment on the mega tier Stax, but everything else is missing the balls for metal.IMO
Stax is only great with classical music in my small opinion?

My Stax SR-Lambda ( The original standard bias version) has lots of bass slam through the SRD-7 and the little TP-22 tripath I have it hooked up to. None of the other Staxes is I've tried have nearly that much.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #3,089 of 12,298
Thanks to everyone for sharing! I'm glad people here aren't so focused on the gear that we forget the media that brought us here - in this case, heavy music.

I saw at least one person mention the Deftones. They're one of my favorite bands. I love bands that can be both brutal and beautiful, all at once. Chino is one of my favorite singers, and I got to see them play with Incubus in NJ in August.

Mike Patton is another one of my favorite singers and I'm totally digging Faith No More's new album.

I've also been an Opeth fan for since 2005.

I see there are some other great bands I need to check out, though.

Let's keep this going!

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #3,090 of 12,298
If you like Chino, ABSOLUTELY check out Palms and Crosses. They're his side projects and I almost like them more because they're more on the experimental post-metal side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back