Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Dec 10, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #3,061 of 12,314
The thing is, I'm really trying to hear the dip. I can tell it's rolled at the top, but like right now I'm listening to Come Sleep and the hi hats are coming through like gangbusters. And it makes listening to something like Botanist or Paysage D'hiver a LOT more bearable. Paysage in particular was near unlistenable with the K712's but now it ain't bad at all. 

Listen to NZ. If you like that pair, do what you can to ensure that is the pair you own. Product variability is a very real thing.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #3,062 of 12,314
I actually did walk out with the demo unit, haha. They didn't have anything else in stock. I'd love to have these things metered to see what's up. I know that the old LCD-2's I used to have had a ton of variation on them, the ones I owned were abnormally bass heavy even by their standards. 

Right now I'm listening to Ondskapt's Dodens Evangelium. The guitars and hats are slicing through clear as a bell. This is a sick album BTW.

Been on a big kick of more drawn out black metal lately. Coldworld, Ash Borer, those types. 

EDIT: Let me say what kinda seals the deal is the EL-8's work admirably out of a phone and darn well through a laptop. It's not optimal, of course, but the fact that I can go from my desk to relaxing on the couch with the laptop or lying in bed no problem helps a bunch. 

Again, that's MY experience just after a few hours. Maybe in a week or two I'll hate them. Who knows!

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #3,063 of 12,314
I just had a cool idea. Let's share the song/album/band that got us into heavy music. I got into heavy music in 2004, when I was 20 years old. Sure some of these are bands are ones we still love. Others, probably not so much.

Let's start posting if everyone is down.

I have a cool follow-up idea now if the first activity goes well.

This is a chance to get to know each other better and understand how we got into heavy music.

My only request is to not be critical. Unless, of course, it was Marilyn Manson, Insane Clown Posse, or Kiss that got you into heavy stuff. Lol :)

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #3,064 of 12,314
Nine Inch Nails for me. Broken was the first tape I bought for myself, got The Downward Spiral not much after. A few years later, Slipknot kinda helped ease my way into "extreme metal" and it was downhill from there. XD

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #3,065 of 12,314
I used to listen to Metallica, Marilyn Manson, Rammstein and all the regular stuff when I was a kid, but Opeth really got me into the progressive/death metal scene...

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #3,066 of 12,314
  I actually did walk out with the demo unit, haha. They didn't have anything else in stock. I'd love to have these things metered to see what's up. I know that the old LCD-2's I used to have had a ton of variation on them, the ones I owned were abnormally bass heavy even by their standards. 

Right now I'm listening to Ondskapt's Dodens Evangelium. The guitars and hats are slicing through clear as a bell. This is a sick album BTW.

Been on a big kick of more drawn out black metal lately. Coldworld, Ash Borer, those types. 

EDIT: Let me say what kinda seals the deal is the EL-8's work admirably out of a phone and darn well through a laptop. It's not optimal, of course, but the fact that I can go from my desk to relaxing on the couch with the laptop or lying in bed no problem helps a bunch. 

Again, that's MY experience just after a few hours. Maybe in a week or two I'll hate them. Who knows!

What a coincidence!! I was listening to this album as I entered this topic. what are the odds.

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #3,067 of 12,314
I used to be very religious, and my friend, who used to play in a hardcore band always played hardcore and metal. Then he showed me a band called Blindside. Then I got into Thrice, then metalcore. I still love Thrice, even though they're not very heavy anymore. I've graduated to prog metal.

I still prefer to have some melody, which is probably why I love Between the Buried and Me so much.

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #3,069 of 12,314
Speaking of a good taste. Any love for Agalloch here? "The Mantle" is kind of awesome.. and sounds fantastic on X2.

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #3,070 of 12,314
  Speaking of a good taste. Any love for Agalloch here? "The Mantle" is kind of awesome.. and sounds fantastic on X2.

Oh HELL yes. You're getting into my favorite genre! I gotta say, Ashes Against the Grain is my favorite of theirs. I'd also suggest:

Drudkh - Blood in our Wells

Solstafir - Otta

Falloch - This Island, Our Funeral

Ghost Bath - Moonlover

Lantlos - Melting Sun

Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs

Les Discrets - Septembre et Ses Dernières Pensées

Just for starters.

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #3,071 of 12,314
Thanks for suggestions!

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #3,072 of 12,314
My first experience in metal was listening to a tape from a friend with some Slayer, Sepultura and Napalm Death. The Slayer stuff was ok, but not too rivetting, Napalm Death was kinda 'out there', though I still remember Pride Assassin quite well. The real kicker for me was Chaos AD from Sepultura. Refuse / Resist was good, Territory was great. I still find Territory to be one of my favourite songs of all time.

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #3,073 of 12,314
@madwolfa Decent chance you'll like Opeth if you like Agalloch.

Band that got me into heavy music was Linkin Park (Who I still think have awesome vocal melodies, though that flat nu metal guitar tone/riffs kind of annoys me these days)... band that got me into metal was Children of Bodom. From there I fell pretty quickly down the black metal hole (Emperor, Immortal, Drudkh etc.) , though I also got huge into (and am still into to a certain extent) Opeth and Isis and a few other non-BM bands. 95% of the metal I listen to though is BM these days.

IIRC I stumbled on Children of Bodom after reading a scathing review of a Linkin Park album on Amazon, mostly bashing it for being untr00 metal
tongue.gif
. (which I'd agree with -- though the snobishness of some of the metal scene is lame I think)

Still remember listening to "Follow the Reaper" on crappy laptop built-in speakers that first time at age 13 or so:

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #3,075 of 12,314
I just had a cool idea. Let's share the song/album/band that got us into heavy music. I got into heavy music in 2004, when I was 20 years old. Sure some of these are bands are ones we still love. Others, probably not

The first album I ever bought with my own money, back in 1975.  I was 12, going from Dick Clark 50's pop straight to the good stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back