Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Dec 2, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #2,971 of 12,308
Lol...i had them biamped with 2 Bryston 14BSSTs. They were puttin out some sound but most metal was unlistenable at higher levels. Also the B&Ws are notoriously resolving if not slightly bright so the mostly poorly recorded metal was never played on the 802Ds. I listen mostly to metal stuff nowdays and its much more enjoyable on the JBLs.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #2,973 of 12,308
One evening I was setting up a new 12 inch sub in my living room. My demo disk was Black One by SunnO))) and I had my sub somehow set up wrong. Little did I know all the bass I could not hear was maturing at my neighbors house?

I didn't know till I went next door and heard it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In the end I tried a handful of mods to try and replicate subwoofer bass on headphones. What I did learn is heavy bass from house speakers ends up being enjoyable. Too heavy bass from a modded pair of headphones just gives you a headache and makes you feel woosey. I have never stuck my head in a bass speaker cabinet, though it must be the same effect?

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #2,974 of 12,308
Are u kidding? NEVER heard a perfect speaker either. Then u have room size, interaction, wall dampening (treatments), frequency response issues....also EXPENSE!! I sold my big amps and B

Sure, room acoustics and room size are extra complications when listening to speakers. But comfort issues are also an extra complication for headphones. And frequency response issues is the main reason I haven't really found a headphone that I like as much as my speakers. It's appears to be quite difficult to find headphones that actually sound like they have a flat frequency response curve (to my ears, that is).

I've not heard perfect speakers either, but my speakers come a lot closer to perfection (for my ears, at least), than any headphone I've heard. Maybe if I tried a Stax SR-009, it would sound better to me, but that also costs significantly more than my speaker setup. But for now, my HD800 is good enough, though not quite as satisfying to listen to as my speakers.

Have you tried the LCD-X? I know a lot of the head-fi'ers who are big into speakers tend to like that one a lot. I can see why, but it's tough to put into words... Kind of a warmer take on neutrality, that ends up sounding more like a speaker in a room than a headphone (IMO, YMMV).

I'm not saying, "Run out and buy it," but if you have a chance to listen to it at a meet or from a friend or something, I think you might get a kick out of it, being a speaker guy. :)

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #2,976 of 12,308
One evening I was setting up a new 12 inch sub in my living room. My demo disk was Black One by SunnO))) and I had my sub somehow set up wrong. Little did I know all the bass I could not hear was maturing at my neighbors house?

I didn't know till I went next door and heard it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In the end I tried a handful of mods to try and replicate subwoofer bass on headphones. What I did learn is heavy bass from house speakers ends up being enjoyable. Too heavy bass from a modded pair of headphones just gives you a headache and makes you feel woosey. I have never stuck my head in a bass speaker cabinet, though it must be the same effect?

I've often thought about adding a bass transducer like AuraSound to me main headphone rig.  That way I get the feel along with hearing the notes, and I don't have to bug the neighbors...

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #2,977 of 12,308
I've often thought about adding a bass transducer like AuraSound to me main headphone rig.  That way I get the feel along with hearing the notes, and I don't have to bug the neighbors...

I had all the equipment to do a say k701/ external subwoofer set-up but never thought of it. I'm subwoofer-less now.

What is the AuraSound? A speaker that shakes your chair, like in gaming rigs?

So true that 30 years from now there is a chance that a more tactile presentation will evolve in the community.

And, there are all the groups here, the stuffy no changers, the DIY, modders, and the experimental groups.

Crazy though if you ever sit in a car with a supper low cost ghetto bass stereo, it has all the bass in the world but the musical factor is 3% out of 100%?

What's with that?

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #2,978 of 12,308
Quote:
Have you tried the LCD-X? I know a lot of the head-fi'ers who are big into speakers tend to like that one a lot. I can see why, but it's tough to put into words... Kind of a warmer take on neutrality, that ends up sounding more like a speaker in a room than a headphone (IMO, YMMV).

I'm not saying, "Run out and buy it," but if you have a chance to listen to it at a meet or from a friend or something, I think you might get a kick out of it, being a speaker guy.
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't heard the LCD-X, but at more than double the price of my HD800 (€1079 vs €2195), it must be pretty amazing. The thing is, though, that I had the HE-560 as well, but it felt to me like the bass was making it just sound a bit muddy. The detail was actually there, but to my ears and at low volumes, it just sounded not quite right.

From all that I've heard about the LCDs, I think they would be a bit too bassy for me.

I also think Redcarmoose sums it up quite well:

What I did learn is heavy bass from house speakers ends up being enjoyable. Too heavy bass from a modded pair of headphones just gives you a headache and makes you feel woosey.

I think bass from speakers (or a sub) tends to more easily sound natural, whereas in a headphone that same bass would be too much in comparison.

Also, after listening to headphones or in-ears for a while, I can really appreciate the sound coming from a single direction, rather than from all around me.

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #2,979 of 12,308
What is the AuraSound? A speaker that shakes your chair, like in gaming rigs?

So true that 30 years from now there is a chance that a more tactile presentation will evolve in the community.

And, there are all the groups here, the stuffy no changers, the DIY, modders, and the experimental groups.

Crazy though if you ever sit in a car with a supper low cost ghetto bass stereo, it has all the bass in the world but the musical factor is 3% out of 100%?

What's with that?

http://www.amazon.com/AuraSound-AST-2B-4-Shaker-Tactile-Transducer/dp/B0002ZPTBI

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #2,980 of 12,308
Quote:

I'm not saying, "Run out and buy it," but if you have a chance to listen to it at a meet or from a friend or something, I think you might get a kick out of it, being a speaker guy. :)

I haven't heard the LCD-X, but at more than double the price of my HD800 (€1079 vs €2195), it must be pretty amazing. The thing is, though, that I had the HE-560 as well, but it felt to me like the bass was making it just sound a bit muddy. The detail was actually there, but to my ears and at low volumes, it just sounded not quite right.

From all that I've heard about the LCDs, I think they would be a bit too bassy for me.

I also think Redcarmoose sums it up quite well:

What I did learn is heavy bass from house speakers ends up being enjoyable. Too heavy bass from a modded pair of headphones just gives you a headache and makes you feel woosey.

I think bass from speakers (or a sub) tends to more easily sound natural, whereas in a headphone that same bass would be too much in comparison.

Also, after listening to headphones or in-ears for a while, I can really appreciate the sound coming from a single direction, rather than from all around me.

Whoa! That's some brutal international pricing! Really? The 800 and the X cost basically the same in the US!

I get that from time to time too, but I've found it depends on the Headphone. For example, the m100 made me almost a little dizzy, but the TH-900, which is as bassy or bassier, causes no such issues. I don't get it.

However, if you found the HE-560 too bassy, you probably won't like the LCD-X anyway.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #2,981 of 12,308
  I got the HE400i and Crossfade M100, I listen to most metal subgenres.
Any other pair of headphones that could be worth getting for a broader range of options? Sub 600$ preferably.

I don't like the m100 for metal at all, no mids, way too much boomy bass. The 400i, however, are excellent for metal. I would just stick with those and save you money for other things.

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #2,982 of 12,308
Kinda have to agree with the notions to stick with the 400i's. Although my pair of them aren't my TOTL cans I have atm (Alpha Primes would be those), I do agree that the HiFiMan's handle metal like champions

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #2,983 of 12,308
  Kinda have to agree with the notions to stick with the 400i's. Although my pair of them aren't my TOTL cans I have atm (Alpha Primes would be those), I do agree that the HiFiMan's handle metal like champions

Good choice
biggrin.gif

(look at my sig.  I am VERY proud of the pairing of the 400i's with the Primes)

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #2,984 of 12,308
  Good choice
biggrin.gif

(look at my sig.  I am VERY proud of the pairing of the 400i's with the Primes)

Haha would you look at that! Pretty great to know I'm not the first one to pair the two. Heck, I even have a pair of SR80e's back o_0

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #2,985 of 12,308

Haha would you look at that! Pretty great to know I'm not the first one to pair the two. Heck, I even have a pair of SR80e's back o_0

I think there's a few of us with the pair.  It's a good combo of cans to have

Users who are viewing this thread

• b510
Back