Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 28, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #2,176 of 12,299
  I know Linkin Park isn't considered strictly metal, since they're in the limbo area of nu metal and other styles, but the HDtracks master of Hybrid Theory rocks sooo hard on my STAX SR-30! Maybe I should hold onto this uncomfortable but awesome-sounding electret instead of trying to trade it away.

Yup, that's the one.

I actually sold all my Final Fantasy soundtracks to preproman, hehe.

Speaking of DACs...after the HE6, I wonder whether I should get the Schiit Yggdrasil or add the SR-009 to the collection first.

After i get my 6s the yggy is next on my list already put down deposit on one for when they become available here .

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #2,177 of 12,299
  Since it seems to be able to handle the energy in music better, I guess I'll stop stressing myself out and just go for the HE6!

Planning on buying it sometime in the next few weeks. Probably gonna get a used one, but might get a new one if my budget is higher.

If anyone can give me speaker amp recommendations (preferably under $300), that would be great.

The best affordable amp I used with HE-6 is ART SLA2. I.e. I find it much better than Mjolnir.

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #2,179 of 12,299
Regards connecting the HE6 to speaker taps, a few things.

First, you don't need the HiFiMan resistor box or any other kind of resistor-based attenuator for connecting to solid state amps (tube amps another story, no idea on that as never yet been applicable to me so not read up on it).

What you do need is good volume control, whether that's via integrated amp or pre-amp depends on your system and preferences. As far as I'm aware there is no DAC in existence with volume control that'll go low enough for a fairly grunty speaker amp before you start decimating the signal, so don't plan to rely on that for volume reduction (the lossless part of the volume attenuation afforded by some DACs can still be useful though of course).

Be very, very, certain you have the speaker taps connected correctly. If you get this wrong then you'll probably fry your HE6. It's been done.

If you're using an adapter for the 4-pin XLR cable of the HE6, connect that to the speaker taps first with everything powered down (triple check channel and polarity, might as well make very sure because in the adapter scenario you may not need to do this again for a long time). Zero your volume control. Power on. Connect HE6 to adapter. Adjust volume carefully (particularly if you've not connected to the amp before), and prepare your nod your head.

At sessions end, zero volume, unplug HE6, power down and then regret how little sleep you're going to get before work that day.

Most powerful thing I've connected to were the Auralic Merak monoblocks at 200W per channel, no sweat.

If you're auditioning amps in stores connect the speaker taps adapter yourself or double check how the salesperson connected it. My first time connecting to a speaker amp (Luxman L507U, 110w per channel, great sound that I thought bested the Abyss on a Carvali that day) the salesman did it wrong, thankfully I listened to the little voice that told me to ask if I could check it too.

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #2,180 of 12,299

Just got a pair of Fostex TH-600 and they kick ass with metal. They sound heavy and kick you in the head like metal should.

Quote:
  Great cans for metal (and not only for metal). For about an year I used them in office rig.

How does Fostex TH 600 perform fast paced material ?
Some reviews mention that for the fastest metal one should look for something else.

Might be interesting cans despite of this review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fostex-th600-dynamic-headphones/reviews/11739

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #2,181 of 12,299
In my experience the bass is plenty fast, tight and hits harder than almost any other headphone, which gives an aggressive feeling that is perfect for metal. My only problem with the sound is that there's a bit too much treble, but I fixed that easily with eq.

As far as reviews go, with just about any headphone, I'm sure you find someone bashing it.

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #2,182 of 12,299
Ugh. I hate when my browser randomly freezes up and I have to sit there doing nothing until I can get back to my work. This post should have taken a few seconds, but took many minutes. -_-

Regards connecting the HE6 to speaker taps, a few things.

First, you don't need the HiFiMan resistor box or any other kind of resistor-based attenuator for connecting to solid state amps (tube amps another story, no idea on that as never yet been applicable to me so not read up on it).

What you do need is good volume control, whether that's via integrated amp or pre-amp depends on your system and preferences. As far as I'm aware there is no DAC in existence with volume control that'll go low enough for a fairly grunty speaker amp before you start decimating the signal, so don't plan to rely on that for volume reduction (the lossless part of the volume attenuation afforded by some DACs can still be useful though of course).

Be very, very, certain you have the speaker taps connected correctly. If you get this wrong then you'll probably fry your HE6. It's been done.

If you're using an adapter for the 4-pin XLR cable of the HE6, connect that to the speaker taps first with everything powered down (triple check channel and polarity, might as well make very sure because in the adapter scenario you may not need to do this again for a long time). Zero your volume control. Power on. Connect HE6 to adapter. Adjust volume carefully (particularly if you've not connected to the amp before), and prepare your nod your head.

At sessions end, zero volume, unplug HE6, power down and then regret how little sleep you're going to get before work that day.

Most powerful thing I've connected to were the Auralic Merak monoblocks at 200W per channel, no sweat.

If you're auditioning amps in stores connect the speaker taps adapter yourself or double check how the salesperson connected it. My first time connecting to a speaker amp (Luxman L507U, 110w per channel, great sound that I thought bested the Abyss on a Carvali that day) the salesman did it wrong, thankfully I listened to the little voice that told me to ask if I could check it too.

I think I would be set with the volume control of that Emotiva amp, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay, so what about if I don't have an adapter? What if I'm just using a 4-pin XLR to banana plug cable? What are the instructions for that? Or is that an adapter too? What options are there for connecting to speaker amps aside from the 4-pin XLR to banana plug cable? Don't some people just leave their HE6 connected to speaker amps? If I get a brand new HE6 and it gets fried, what level of warranty coverage do I get? Would they replace it? I'm a total beginner to this, so I need to learn everything I can.

In my experience the bass is plenty fast, tight and hits harder than almost any other headphone, which gives an aggressive feeling that is perfect for metal. My only problem with the sound is that there's a bit too much treble, but I fixed that easily with eq.

As far as reviews go, with just about any headphone, I'm sure you find someone bashing it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

It ranked 5th, so I'd say that's pretty impressive.

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #2,183 of 12,299
When I'm referring to an adapter I'm referring to a female 4-pin XLR to banana plugs cable. Some people do leave them connected full time, those people tend to have a banana plug terminated headphone cable. It's nice not to have the extra interconnect, but obviously you have to know your chain well enough to know there won't be any thuds on powering up.

I don't think you can really count on warranty support of you fry the HE6 using it like this, although HappyCamper blew his up and they replaced it (he said he was careless with connection one time).

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #2,184 of 12,299
When I'm referring to an adapter I'm referring to a female 4-pin XLR to banana plugs cable. Some people do leave them connected full time, those people tend to have a banana plug terminated headphone cable. It's nice not to have the extra interconnect, but obviously you have to know your chain well enough to know there won't be any thuds on powering up.

I don't think you can really count on warranty support of you fry the HE6 using it like this, although HappyCamper blew his up and they replaced it (he said he was careless with connection one time).

So that's the only type of adapter in this context? I think I should get a brand new HE6 from Amazon. Does it come with the 4-pin XLR to banana plug adapter cable? I was just looking at a review for the HE6, and this photo implied that it does, or at least did in the past. Got any links that sell an HE6 headphone cable that is terminated with the banana plugs instead of needing the adapter?

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #2,185 of 12,299
It won't come standard with banana plugs terminated anything. It comes standard with a 4-pin XLR, and a female 4-pin XLR to single-ended adapter to connect to that. Lots of places will make an adapter from female 4-pin XLR to banana plugs for you, I have one from Moon Audio for example. Almost any place selling custom cables should be able to do it.

One advantage of going this route is getting all your headphones terminated to 4-pin XLR, and then your adapters work for everything. I have a banana plugs adapter, a dual 3-pin XLR adapter for my CMA800R monoblocks, and the stock single-ended one that came with the HE6, and a step-down adapter to 3.5mm (and of course the headphones will connect directly to 4-pin XLR balanced outputs). Versatile and probably cheaper over the long run.

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #2,186 of 12,299
It won't come standard with banana plugs terminated anything. It comes standard with a 4-pin XLR, and a female 4-pin XLR to single-ended adapter to connect to that. Lots of places will make an adapter from female 4-pin XLR to banana plugs for you, I have one from Moon Audio for example. Almost any place selling custom cables should be able to do it.

One advantage of going this route is getting all your headphones terminated to 4-pin XLR, and then your adapters work for everything. I have a banana plugs adapter, a dual 3-pin XLR adapter for my CMA800R monoblocks, and the stock single-ended one that came with the HE6, and a step-down adapter to 3.5mm (and of course the headphones will connect directly to 4-pin XLR balanced outputs). Versatile and probably cheaper over the long run.

Any links to ones I can buy without placing a custom order? Preferably the most affordable ones, because some of those audio cable companies charge way too much. How much would it generally cost to have one custom ordered, if necessary?

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #2,188 of 12,299
  Anyone tried Audioquest Nighthawks with metal already?

Less than an hour ago, I got an email from AudioQuest about the fancy new website for the NightHawk. Really cool-looking headphone. I'm going to assume it doesn't surpass the flagships in any way, but it would be nice to get it someday regardless. (But no, I haven't heard it. Five reviews published so far here, though.)

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #2,189 of 12,299
Anyone tried Audioquest Nighthawks with metal already?

We're meant to have a pair coming to our headphone meet next week I think. From memory I saw reports that it had a soft/warm coloration, which wouldn't be my cup of tea in general and especially not for metal, but I haven't seen much at all written about it.

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #2,190 of 12,299

Any links to ones I can buy without placing a custom order? Preferably the most affordable ones, because some of those audio cable companies charge way too much. How much would it generally cost to have one custom ordered, if necessary?

I just had my cables for HE-6 delivered i got a new main cable and xlr to banana cable ,i got them from Ted at Headphone Lounge very happy with his service .

Made with silver litz cable .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back