Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 7, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #828 of 12,322
  Sort of. He kept claiming they sounded good. You can read it here: http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2drnct/got_a_hold_of_a_pair_of_hifiman_he6_then_realized/

Sounded decent rather but he was alright with it it seemed. Lol.

Beats mid-fi headphones even when underamped. Sounds legit! =D

I'd like to see a video of the expressions on people's faces when they finally hear it from a speaker amp or whatever.

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #829 of 12,322

Beats mid-fi headphones even when underamped. Sounds legit! =D

I'd like to see a video of the expressions on people's faces when they finally hear it from a speaker amp or whatever.

He is probably just trying to keep himself from spending more and I can't blame him. I'd be very surprised if he truly believes what he wrote. But who knows?

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #830 of 12,322
Hard to credit that opinion. Underamped, like from his iPhone, the HE-6 is horrible. I'd take a solid mid-fi can over it any day of the week if I were planning to run it from my smartphone.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #835 of 12,322
What have you listened to so far?

I'm currently listening to Ghost Reveries 
evil_smiley.gif

The bite and crunch from guitar strings sound beautiful with the EL-8.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #836 of 12,322

I'm currently listening to Ghost Reveries 
evil_smiley.gif

The bite and crunch from guitar strings sound beautiful with the EL-8.

Cool. Better than the LCD-2 or X?

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #838 of 12,322
It's nice to hear some more impressions of the el8 for metal. Over on the el8 thread all I see is a bunch of complaining from only 1 or 2 people about had bad the el8 is. Oye....

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #840 of 12,322
All of them have more than enough power, so I'm just gonna get a cheap one (possibly even under $100) at first. If the "quality" of a much more expensive one ends up making it sound a lot better once I can afford one, I'll consider it a bonus. I do know there are many recommendations out there, so if you're looking for more specific info, you could search more on the HE-6 threads and talk to owners.

The main point is that there are a lot of who are not happy at all with their he-6 because of amplification.

Yeah, the HD800 sounds pretty crusty with bad recordings. The HE-6 is probably your best bet from those you've mentioned.

The other thing to consider would be getting some higher-end Grados. Those excel at articulation, metal and blues! 

I can:
1- buy a gs1000 and use it with my current setup.
2- buy a he-6 and nfb-28 (with custom higher gain for he-6) or other speaker amp around 400$ in next 9 months.
second option costs me 1k more bucks and take me around one more year.
The real question is that, does it worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back