Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 11, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #1,171 of 12,299
May 11, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #1,173 of 12,299

So much vagueness. So you're saying I should buy all the more affordable headphones I want before the high-end stuff? I may very well end up doing that. I'm about to buy my favorite headphone again. (Focal Spirit Professional)

It's generally hard to enjoy affordable headphones if you have high-end piece of gear. But, do you have something extraordinary on emotional plane for top cans vs middle range cans, when you have no experience with expensive headphones? Why to waste emotional capital in one shot? I vote to go step by step.

May 11, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #1,174 of 12,299
  It's generally hard to enjoy affordable headphones if you have high-end piece of gear. But, do you have something extraordinary on emotional plane for top cans vs middle range cans, when you have no experience with expensive headphones? Why to waste emotional capital in one shot? I vote to go step by step.

You mean hard to enjoy affordable headphones if you've heard high-end headphones? Well, I have mentioned before that the FSP is my favorite headphone and I like it a lot more than the HD 700, which was originally released for $1,000. And $300-700 is pretty expensive, even if it's not top-of-the-line.

I'm also not sure what you mean by emotional capital and "do you have something extraordinary on emotional plane for top cans" -- please be specific about what you are referring to or I won't understand your vague statements.

May 11, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #1,175 of 12,299

I would tend to disagree. When I was looking for speakers, I wanted the ones that I would really like. Not to buy just anything and experience it for a while, then sell it and buy something new that may or may not be actually what I was looking for. End-game in one step, so to say.

Ok, speakers are more expensive than headphones, but I see no reason to buy many different headphones in order to find the ones that I actually wanted from the start. I intend to go the same route for headphones as well. End-game in one step. Or close enough to end-game as makes no difference.

May 11, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #1,176 of 12,299

You mean hard to enjoy affordable headphones if you've heard high-end headphones? Well, I have mentioned before that the FSP is my favorite headphone and I like it a lot more than the HD 700, which was originally released for $1,000. And $300-700 is pretty expensive, even if it's not top-of-the-line.

I'm also not sure what you mean by emotional capital and "do you have something extraordinary on emotional plane for top cans" -- please be specific about what you are referring to or I won't understand your vague statements.

I mean, that
 - generally audiophile people can not use second tier cans for music listening if they have summit gear. You can appreciate it, to recognise it as "nice concidering price", but to really enjoy it...
 - if you enjoy dark sound signature and have Senns 650 and you want to get something brighter to expand horizons, you can get Senns 600 or Grado 125 and it'll be great. But If you have LCD-3 you'll have to go for Senns 800 or AKG 812, etc, and proper amplification for them... And what do you think of emotional response for 600 vs 800 fot these two cases? And what about bang for money?

May 11, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #1,177 of 12,299
  I mean, that
 - generally audiophile people can not use second tier cans for music listening if they have summit gear. You can appreciate it, to recognise it as "nice concidering price", but to really enjoy it...
 - if you enjoy dark sound signature and have Senns 650 and you want to get something brighter to expand horizons, you can get Senns 600 or Grado 125 and it'll be great. But If you have LCD-3 you'll have to go for Senns 800 or AKG 812, etc, and proper amplification for them... And what do you think of emotional response for 600 vs 800 fot these two cases? And what about bang for money?

I see. Well, I sold the HD 650. The Focal Spirit Professional is very neutral, though on the slightly dark side of neutral. I bought my second pair today. I enjoy it more than any other headphone. Once I hear the ultra-high-end stuff, I'm sure that will change, but that will take time and money. (What I really want is the HE1000, Abyss, Ragnarok, and Yggdrasil, but all that's over $10,000!) The HD 600 is obviously a much better value than the HD 800, but I have heard neither, so I can't comment on emotional response. Plenty of people like the 600 more than the 800. There are plenty of super-expensive headphones that I probably wouldn't enjoy at all. To say that I can't enjoy more affordable headphones after hearing more expensive ones is simply not true, though I'm sure my favorites would end up being in summit-fi.

May 11, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #1,178 of 12,299

I would tend to disagree. When I was looking for speakers, I wanted the ones that I would really like. Not to buy just anything and experience it for a while, then sell it and buy something new that may or may not be actually what I was looking for. End-game in one step, so to say.

Ok, speakers are more expensive than headphones, but I see no reason to buy many different headphones in order to find the ones that I actually wanted from the start. I intend to go the same route for headphones as well. End-game in one step. Or close enough to end-game as makes no difference.

I'm speaking for myself (for "audiophile aestete"), my primary goal is to get the most emotional response from gear )) And I do clearly understand, that the way for it is journey, not the "end of game gear". End of game is feasible if you are ready to quit audiophile hobby, otherwise it's mirage, nothing more,

Speakers are another animal, than cans. I have Dynaudio Contour 3.0 and ProAc D Two (for primary and secondary systems). We could flame some more on speakers vs cans in a different thread but it's clearly off topic here.

May 11, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,179 of 12,299
  I'm speaking for myself (for "audiophile aestete"), my primary goal is to get the most emotional response from gear )) And I do clearly understand, that the way for it is journey, not the "end of game gear". End of game is feasible if you are ready to quit audiophile hobby, otherwise it's mirage, nothing more,

Speakers are another animal, than cans. I have Dynaudio Contour 3.0 and ProAc D Two (for primary and secondary systems). We could flame some more on speakers vs cans in a different thread but it's clearly off topic here.

I didn't mean to flame or go off-topic.

I don't consider myself to be an audiophile, but I am someone that notices the detail in the music and enjoys hearing it. I suppose that I have more of an engineer's ear for things than an audiophile's. Unfortunately, that means that I tend to have to look to higher end gear to get the detail and sound signature that I prefer. For instance, I listen to the HD600 and find it the right sound signature, but otherwise not that special. The various DT770/880/990 generally do not have my preferred sound signature. The Focal Spirit Pro didn't do much for me either, though it was pretty close to the right sound signature. The HD800 put a smile on my face, though. The detail was amazing. Bass was a bit much, though I suspect my FiiO X3 added quite a bit of its own there.

If I get something like that, I'll be satisfied for a long time to come. If I get the HD600, I would probably be looking for something else within the year.

May 11, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #1,180 of 12,299
  I didn't mean to flame or go off-topic.

I don't consider myself to be an audiophile, but I am someone that notices the detail in the music and enjoys hearing it. I suppose that I have more of an engineer's ear for things than an audiophile's. Unfortunately, that means that I tend to have to look to higher end gear to get the detail and sound signature that I prefer. For instance, I listen to the HD600 and find it the right sound signature, but otherwise not that special. The various DT770/880/990 generally do not have my preferred sound signature. The Focal Spirit Pro didn't do much for me either, though it was pretty close to the right sound signature. The HD800 put a smile on my face, though. The detail was amazing. Bass was a bit much, though I suspect my FiiO X3 added quite a bit of its own there.

If I get something like that, I'll be satisfied for a long time to come. If I get the HD600, I would probably be looking for something else within the year.

And then you have people like me who buy, sell, and trade headphones all the time. Just look at my custom title.
biggrin.gif

I doubt any headphone would ever totally satisfy me, no matter how good it is. I fully intend on building a collection of the best headphones someday.

May 11, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #1,184 of 12,299
In my home town, metalheads in most cases are unemployed 30 year old dudes, who lives with parents. They even can't afford themselves to buy a can of beer.
And metalheads on your planet gather collection of most expensive headphones in the world.
What's the secret? Tell me, please :popcorn:

May 11, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #1,185 of 12,299
In my home town, metalheads in most cases are unemployed 30 year old dudes, who lives with parents. They even can't afford themselves to buy a can of bear.
And metalheads on your planet gather collection of most expensive headphones in the world.
What's the secret? Tell me, please
popcorn.gif

Some of us are Internet marketers.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back