Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 17, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #1,006 of 12,322
@Hansotek

Ok, you have convinced me :)

Also, I found a pair of NAD on headphonescanada for 275$ CAN with shipping!
It like having them for 200$ US + shipping, which if I'm not wrong is a very good deal.

They should be here in 5-7 days...probably next Friday.

Now, I need to wait :frowning2:

That's a solid deal! I hope you like them! At that price you really can't lose. Perfect yin and yang with your M50X, IMO.

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #1,007 of 12,322
Here's my impressions of the of the Open-Back EL-8 now that they have +200 hours of burn-in and that the honeymoon period is over.

Equipments:

1. Amp : Schiit Vali
  2. DAC : Emotiva DC-1

PROS: 

1. The build quality is very good.
  2. The EL-8 are more comfortable than the LCDs.  
  3. The sound quality is great...after +200 hours of burn-in.
    1. Great mids (The electric guitar strings have more punch, crunch, and bite versus the LCD-2) 
    2. Good soundstage but maybe a slightly smaller stage than the LCD-2, not much difference IMO.
    3. Good bass but probably not on the same level as the LCD-2. 
    4. Very good tonality. (They definitely sound like a pair of Audeze headphones)
    5. Nice treble...after +200 hours.
  4. Very resolving and musical at the same time.
  5. I can drive them easily with my iPod Touch.  

CONS: 

1. The treble is a bit weird and grainy during the first 100/150 hours.
  2. They need more than +200 hours of burn-in to sound great.
  3. There is no 'quality' carrying case included!  (Very disappointing for $699.)
  4. The EL-8 are more picky than the LCD-2 with low-res files.

I have to admit that I agree with some of the negative comments that I have seen so far in this thread and even on my side I was very close to sell them at some point because of the weird and grainy treble. 

I'm quite happy now with my pair but Audeze will have to improve their quality assurance process if they want to succeed with the EL-8!

Thanks

PF

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #1,008 of 12,322
200 hours burn-in, and that's after the 200 hours Audeze puts in?

What other cans have you got? Interested for a comparison on one of my reference tracks between your EL8 and another known quantity for me.

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #1,009 of 12,322
In case anyone here wanted a HIFIMAN HE-400i, I'm selling mine here for a really low price. I am also selling a ton of metal albums here. I usually don't try to advertise myself obnoxiously, but I have expenses to cover soon and am about to buy an HD 800 as well, so I thought in case anyone here happened to be interested, we could help each other out.

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #1,010 of 12,322
What other cans have you got? Interested for a comparison on one of my reference tracks between your EL8 and another known quantity for me.

I have heard or owned pretty much everything on the market apart from the Stax 009 and the HE-6.

The EL-8 are quite good but I still prefer the LCD-2F.

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #1,011 of 12,322
I have heard or owned pretty much everything on the market apart from the Stax 009 and the HE-6.

The EL-8 are quite good but I still prefer the LCD-2F.

Only direct A/B comparison can answer the question I have about a particular piece in a song, that's why I asked what you have now as opposed what you've owned (ie I wasn't trying to 'credential' you).

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #1,012 of 12,322
Wow! How i missed this tread?! It has to be the first place, where i should came after creating an acount on head-fi.
But it's too late. The deal is done, and now brand new HE500s playing metal for me... and they doing it well
L3000.gif

Apr 19, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,013 of 12,322
Only direct A/B comparison can answer the question I have about a particular piece in a song, that's why I asked what you have now as opposed what you've owned (ie I wasn't trying to 'credential' you).

The only headphones that I have at the moment apart from the EL-8 are the Grado 225e and the HD650.

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #1,014 of 12,322
Wow! How i missed this tread?! It has to be the first place, where i should came after creating an acount on head-fi.

But it's too late. The deal is done, and now brand new HE500s playing metal for me... and they doing it well:L3000:  

Welcome to the party! :beerchug:

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #1,015 of 12,322
Hansotek

I've been reading impressions of upcoming mr. Speakers Ether headphone. And everyone discribet it's sound like "fun, ejoyable, engaging" with right amout of bass, forgiving, but not too laid back treble and amazing mids.
But all of those guys listen to it with jazz, classic or else
I wondering, did someone tryed Ether with our music? Cuz as far as it goes, mr. Speakers cans have all chances to become truly top end game metal gear :wink_face:

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #1,016 of 12,322
I wondering, did someone tryed Ether with our music? Cuz as far as it goes, mr. Speakers cans have all chances to become truly top end game metal gear
wink_face.gif

Wondering if anyone else got that obvious video game reference.
biggrin.gif

(His avatar is a raccoon dressed like Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid, and the box it's sitting on is yet another reference to the games.)

Where did you get the avatar, by the way? It's rather ingenious, I must say!

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #1,018 of 12,322
I'm keeping an eye on them as well for these purposes. Dharma also needs to be tried for metal, with a stat section they should be pretty quick I'd assume.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #1,019 of 12,322
I have plans to try Dharma when they'll be available for sale.

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #1,020 of 12,322
Hey guys,
It seems overly hard and risky (no guaranty, second handed, taxes, time, ...) for me to get my hand on he-6. On the other hand, I can get a new hd800 for a good price. On the other hand, I will use them with my current rig (modi/vali). How do you think a hd800 with modi/vali would perform (especially in comparison of he-6) with Rock/Metal (mostly progressive and heavy)?

Thanks every one who bother to make a comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back