Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 19, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #9,799 of 12,290
ATH-DSR9BT. With Drirct Drive Digital
Run via USB @96k 24bit is great for metal

A Perfect Circle etc.

Very fast transients delivery for all the crazy double kick drums.

Empire Ears Nemesis iems also excellent. Again sub bass punch with no mud.

May 19, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #9,800 of 12,290
Thanks for the response.
Hmm, for me they are showing up as closer to £900 in the UK so dont think they will be an option.

That's unfortunate. Used, they often pop up for roughly $400-500 USD, if used is an option for you.

Definitely one to watch for when it comes to metal.

May 20, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #9,803 of 12,290
I'm looking to upgrade from my HD600, but I'm in decision paralysis.I primarily listen to black metal (especially atmospheric black metal), but also listen to other subgenres regularly (death, doom, heavy, power), so a headphone that does great in all genres would be preferred over one that does amazing in one, but meh in others. A decent soundstage would be nice as well, which is something the HD600 lacks.

Some headphones I was considering:
- Hifiman Ananda - I actually almost bought a pair, but was kind of worried about Hifiman's QC
- Audeze - I prefer to not EQ, and with these I'm mostly worried about reports of weird upper-mids/highs FR, which even Audeze seems to acknowledge with Reveal; Weight might also be annoying
- LCD-X: From what I've gathered, an OKish soundstage with great imaging, not as dark and muddy as LCD-2C​
- LCD-2: Can't really find much info about how these new fazored LCD-2's compare to LCD-X, but supposedly has a wider soundstage at the expense of having more prominent deadzones in imaging​
- ZMF Aeolus or Auteur (the latter a bit too steep in price for me)
- Maybe Focals?

I probably need to give all these headphones a listen to see what I actually like (hey, maybe I'll actually like the Audeze sound), which can't realistically happen until lockdowns are lifted; Any suggestions/advice is welcome though

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #9,804 of 12,290
I'm looking to upgrade from my HD600, but I'm in decision paralysis.I primarily listen to black metal (especially atmospheric black metal), but also listen to other subgenres regularly (death, doom, heavy, power), so a headphone that does great in all genres would be preferred over one that does amazing in one, but meh in others. A decent soundstage would be nice as well, which is something the HD600 lacks.

Some headphones I was considering:
- Hifiman Ananda - I actually almost bought a pair, but was kind of worried about Hifiman's QC
- Audeze - I prefer to not EQ, and with these I'm mostly worried about reports of weird upper-mids/highs FR, which even Audeze seems to acknowledge with Reveal; Weight might also be annoying
- LCD-X: From what I've gathered, an OKish soundstage with great imaging, not as dark and muddy as LCD-2C​
- LCD-2: Can't really find much info about how these new fazored LCD-2's compare to LCD-X, but supposedly has a wider soundstage at the expense of having more prominent deadzones in imaging​
- ZMF Aeolus or Auteur (the latter a bit too steep in price for me)
- Maybe Focals?

I probably need to give all these headphones a listen to see what I actually like (hey, maybe I'll actually like the Audeze sound), which can't realistically happen until lockdowns are lifted; Any suggestions/advice is welcome though
Hey, I'm just curious as a newbie to all of the metal types you mention in your post. What are some band examples of each genre you mention? I'd like to check some out on tidal. Thanks

May 20, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #9,805 of 12,290

Users who are viewing this thread

Back