Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 14, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #8,386 of 12,302
Where have you been, last I seen you you had a pair of Atticus, what happened ? I have seen a few post in the Prog-Rock, but that's about it.
I have been thinking about a pair of LCD-2C, weight has me a little put off.

lol, yes I was not very active on the forum last year and at some point I got rid of all my headphones. I thought that I would be able to survive with just my speakers but boy I was so wrong..

My plan was to buy another pair of Atticus but the deal on the LCD-2C was too good too pass up.

Jan 14, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #8,387 of 12,302
Are the LCD-2c exactly the same sound as the LCD-2pf?

Jan 14, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #8,388 of 12,302
Are the LCD-2c exactly the same sound as the LCD-2pf?

To my ears the LCD-2C are noticeably faster than the LCD-2 pre-Fazor but otherwise very similar.

The LCD-2C have some nice lush mids but the Atticus have a little bit more upper mids bite.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #8,389 of 12,302
To my ears the LCD-2C are noticeably faster than the LCD-2 pre-Fazor but otherwise very similar.

The LCD-2C have some nice lush mids but the Atticus have a little bit more upper mids bite.

This was probably my only other minus with LCD-2, besides their weight, that the treble was a bit smooth for me tastes.

Have you tried LCD-3 and LCD-4?

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #8,390 of 12,302
At 549g, they at least weigh less than the LCD-2 (Bamboo 565, Rosewood 585), LCD-3 (629) and LCD-4 (695)!

Jan 15, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #8,392 of 12,302
This was probably my only other minus with LCD-2, besides their weight, that the treble was a bit smooth for me tastes.

Have you tried LCD-3 and LCD-4?

The LCD-2C are slightly dark but they are not warm at all. There is actually plenty of treble and to my ears, the LCD-2C have better delineation than the Atticus up high with cymbals and strings.

Like all the Audeze headphones, the LCD-2C recess the upper mids a little bit but it's not bothering me like it was with the horrible Fazor revision. The vocals are more lively on the Atticus and more lush on the LCD-2C. Despite being recessed, the LCD-2C can also handle female vocals very well.

The Atticus are a little bit more punchy than the LCD-2C but the difference is not night and day. Sub-bass is better with the LCD-2C.

I have never heard the LCD-4 but I have owned the LCD-3F and the LCD-X in the past, and in my opinion the timbre of the LCD-2C is better than LCD-X and the LCD-3F. I also think that the LCD-2C are more engaging versus the LCD-X/LCD-3F.

Overall the LCD-2C are a fantastic pair of headphones and they are probably on par with the ZMF Atticus even if the sound signature is slightly different.

Jan 15, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #8,393 of 12,302
The LCD-2C are slightly dark but they are not warm at all. There is actually plenty of treble and to my ears, the LCD-2C have better delineation than the Atticus up high with cymbals and strings.

Like all the Audeze headphones, the LCD-2C recess the upper mids a little bit but it's not bothering me like it was with the horrible Fazor revision. The vocals are more lively on the Atticus and more lush on the LCD-2C. Despite being recessed, the LCD-2C can also handle female vocals very well.

The Atticus are a little bit more punchy than the LCD-2C but the difference is not night and day. Sub-bass is better with the LCD-2C.

I have never heard the LCD-4 but I have owned the LCD-3F and the LCD-X in the past, and in my opinion the timbre of the LCD-2C is better than LCD-X and the LCD-3F. I also think that the LCD-2C are more engaging versus the LCD-X/LCD-3F.

Overall the LCD-2C are a fantastic pair of headphones and they are probably on par with the ZMF Atticus even if the sound signature is slightly different.

What are you driving it with?

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #8,395 of 12,302
With the Chord Hugo 2.
Wow, thats a big step up, didn't have a Garage Amp when you had the Atticus ? What made you decide to go up the food chain that high for your amp ?
I ask because I am thinking about some upgrades myself.

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #8,396 of 12,302
Wow, thats a big step up, didn't have a Garage Amp when you had the Atticus ? What made you decide to go up the food chain that high for your amp ?
I ask because I am thinking about some upgrades myself.

Yes I was using the Project Solstice with the Atticus.

To be honest with you, I got a very nice deal on the Hugo 2 that I simply could not refused. :wink:

But I would have never paid the full retail price ($3000) here in Canada. The Chord products are so overpriced.

Jan 16, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #8,397 of 12,302
Yes I was using the Project Solstice with the Atticus.

To be honest with you, I got a very nice deal on the Hugo 2 that I simply could not refused. :wink:

But I would have never paid the full retail price ($3000) here in Canada. The Chord products are so overpriced.

I think you’ll find the Atticus to be more impressive out of the Hugo 2 if you do, in fact, give it another go. (I actually still have my Project Solstice here - been dragging my feet on letting it go until the Cavalli/MassDrop CTH shows up).

Thanks for the LCD-2C impressions, I haven’t heard it yet! I’m definitely going to jam it out at CanJam NYC! I always enjoyed that deep subbass on the pre-fazor version, sounds like this one captures the good stuff and improves upon it.

Good to see you back in the thread!

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #8,398 of 12,302
I think you’ll find the Atticus to be more impressive out of the Hugo 2 if you do, in fact, give it another go. (I actually still have my Project Solstice here - been dragging my feet on letting it go until the Cavalli/MassDrop CTH shows up).

Thanks for the LCD-2C impressions, I haven’t heard it yet! I’m definitely going to jam it out at CanJam NYC! I always enjoyed that deep subbass on the pre-fazor version, sounds like this one captures the good stuff and improves upon it.

Good to see you back in the thread!

Hello Dave,

Well, guess what I did today...I bought another pair of Atticus :wink:

Even if if I'm very happy with the LCD-2C, I miss the sound of the Atticus and I'm curious to hear them with the Hugo 2.

The subbass of the LCD-2C is really impressive but I think that I still prefer the mids and the midbass impact of the Atticus.

Cheers

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #8,399 of 12,302
Hey @Hansotek and @YtseJamer, how good is the Hugo 2? That price bracket (~$2500) seems super competitive. And while it's more than I'm planning to spend on a DAC, I'm curious what you guys think of it.

I'm doing a lot of research on DACs, and I'm finding it's hard to get fair takes on Chord gear. There are people who really, really, really love all things Chord, and there are some who are hyper critical.

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #8,400 of 12,302
Hey @Hansotek and @YtseJamer, how good is the Hugo 2? That price bracket (~$2500) seems super competitive. And while it's more than I'm planning to spend on a DAC, I'm curious what you guys think of it.

I'm doing a lot of research on DACs, and I'm finding it's hard to get fair takes on Chord gear. There are people who really, really, really love all things Chord, and there are some who are hyper critical.

I reviewed it here: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0817/Chord_Hugo_2_DAC_Headphone_Amplifier_Review.htm

I didn’t love the Hugo 1 and actually thought the Mojo was much better. IMO, the Hugo 2 is a substantial step up from that (Mojo) in terms of refinement, timbre and inner detail. I think it actually bears more similarity to the DAVE in many regards. It’s super competitive at its price point in SQ, and when you consider its ability to drive headphones directly and its suite of bells and whistles it’s probably the best value DAC at its respective price. It ain’t cheap, but if it’s a purchase you can afford, it will be a stunningly transparent and revealing cornerstone to your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back