Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 1, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #8,266 of 12,302
Are these the ultimate generic no-name headphones then, lol? There doesn't seem to be any brand or model #. I love the idea of something that is both wired and BT. Where can I find other reviews for this?

Hmmm... Those definitely look like a rebrand of the RBH HP-2, but I don't know if they messed with the tuning. I'm not sure if adding Bluetooth would have an effect.

I'm not aware of any other headphones at that price use Beryllium drivers, so they have to be.

If it's a simple rebrand, then it's a great deal.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #8,268 of 12,302
Are these the ultimate generic no-name headphones then, lol? There doesn't seem to be any brand or model #. I love the idea of something that is both wired and BT. Where can I find other reviews for this?
You can find the comparisons of the headphones to the RBH-HP2 in it's thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rbh-hp-2-ultralight-beryllium-headphones.789653/
Here's the model from their website. I don't know why they didn't give it an actual name. https://mo-electronics.com/beryllium-acoustic.html
They were also at CanJam last year and supposedly were a hidden gem tucked away in some corner. Basically, any RBH-HP2 review out there pertains to these headphones and the company claims that the drivers were re-tuned and are an actual updated version of the drivers that the RBH-HP2 uses but others that have heard both have said there is virtually no difference between the two.

As someone who has a pair, I can say the bass is very fun and engaging on these and comparable to the TH-X00 which in my opinion has a more clinical bass to them that sounds more exact. From my own experience, the bass does not bleed into the mids or highs and these are really speedy high resolution headphones for being dynamics. Mids and highs have really great clarity as well. This review really hits the mark on how I feel about these headphones. https://headfonics.com/2017/05/the-hp-2-by-rbh-sound/

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #8,269 of 12,302
I’m currently looking to add another headphone to my collection, but have a hard time figuring out which best fits with what I’m looking for. I’m not very good at explaining sound, so apologize if I use wrong terms at times. Sorry forgot to add quote to last msg

My setup is NAD M51 > iFi ican pro > HD650. I really like the HD650, it’s a very pleasant listening experience, though I tend use one step of bass boost on the ican pro. But a lot of the time I find myself wishing it was a bit more engaging, dynamic, some more punch. Considering the music, I tend to listen to, I’d also like some more speed, and Maybe better imaging/separation.

To expand on what I think I’m looking for in terms of imaging/separation, or something similar maybe; Some time ago, I got to try the HE-400i with my phone. It wasn’t capable of driving the headphones properly, but that’s beside the point. I tried an album I’m very familiar with, and found instruments to be separated in a way I had never heard them before. There was more “air” between each instrument. This was before I had my current setup, and first time trying a planar magnetic headphone. I figured this might have been because of how well planars and their speed could handle the very layered mix, but please correct me if I’m wrong. The HD650 does not share this “effect”.

As for music I spend most time listening on; Power, symphonic, melodic death, and similar metal genres. So, very layered and fast music.

So, for a while I was set on the AFO, as planar magnetic headphones were something that had caught my interest beforehand, and based on reviews and opinions it seems to have a somewhat similar sound signature to that of the HD650. But what makes me hesitate is that, again based on what I’ve read, it might not be as dynamic and punchy as I’d want.

The other candidate that I recently started reading up on is the Focal Clear. Sounds to be exactly what I’m looking for. But comments from some people saying it can sound tinny is a bit worrisome, is it fast enough(?), and the price is, well, quite a bit more than the AFO. But if it’s worth the price, then it’s doable.

Apologize for a long and messy post, but I hope maybe someone can get a grasp on what I’m hoping to find in my next pair of headphones.
Sorry forgot to ad quote to last msg

Jan 1, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #8,270 of 12,302
My input, I would suggest giving the LCD2C a try, I recently got my pair and they have a warm lush presentation of the mids and highs similar to the HD650s but they also have the nice sub-bass and mid-bass extension people tend to be looking for in planars. The speed of these headphones is astounding and instrument separation and detail is all there. They have a nice punch to it as well in the very bass heavy tracks I listen to. I doubt they do what the clears do in detail and separation, but they definitely have a different sound to the HD650s that I would describe as very rich and mellow sounding whereas the HD650s just sound a bit thin and weak. Just my 2 cents. Others please chime in and enlighten me.

My main concern with the LCD2C is that I might find them a bit too warm and lush.

I'd look into a used pair of HE-500s.They check all your boxes and can be had for under 400.00
I regret selling my pair.

Comfort is also quite important for me, which I think would be far from ideal with the HE-500.

Afo sounds great with every metal sub genre that I've listened to. Are there hps better for each specific type of metal? Of course, but afo is a great all rounder. I doubt you'd be disappointed with them.

Well I'd use the headphone for more than the sub genres I listed, but that's my main list. But like mentioned, I do have some concerns with the AFO, compared to the Focal Clear.

Thanks for all the input!

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #8,271 of 12,302
I’m currently looking to add another headphone to my collection, but have a hard time figuring out which best fits with what I’m looking for. I’m not very good at explaining sound, so apologize if I use wrong terms at times.

My setup is NAD M51 > iFi ican pro > HD650. I really like the HD650, it’s a very pleasant listening experience, though I tend use one step of bass boost on the ican pro. But a lot of the time I find myself wishing it was a bit more engaging, dynamic, some more punch. Considering the music, I tend to listen to, I’d also like some more speed, and Maybe better imaging/separation.

To expand on what I think I’m looking for in terms of imaging/separation, or something similar maybe; Some time ago, I got to try the HE-400i with my phone. It wasn’t capable of driving the headphones properly, but that’s beside the point. I tried an album I’m very familiar with, and found instruments to be separated in a way I had never heard them before. There was more “air” between each instrument. This was before I had my current setup, and first time trying a planar magnetic headphone. I figured this might have been because of how well planars and their speed could handle the very layered mix, but please correct me if I’m wrong. The HD650 does not share this “effect”.

As for music I spend most time listening on; Power, symphonic, melodic death, and similar metal genres. So, very layered and fast music.

So, for a while I was set on the AFO, as planar magnetic headphones were something that had caught my interest beforehand, and based on reviews and opinions it seems to have a somewhat similar sound signature to that of the HD650. But what makes me hesitate is that, again based on what I’ve read, it might not be as dynamic and punchy as I’d want.

The other candidate that I recently started reading up on is the Focal Clear. Sounds to be exactly what I’m looking for. But comments from some people saying it can sound tinny is a bit worrisome, is it fast enough(?), and the price is, well, quite a bit more than the AFO. But if it’s worth the price, then it’s doable.

Apologize for a long and messy post, but I hope maybe someone can get a grasp on what I’m hoping to find in my next pair of headphones.

Half the headphones on the market seem to get compared to the HD650 at one point or another. AFO is more fun, bassy and extended down low, and a little more relaxed in the upper mids relative to the 650. Clear will be a level up in depth layering and detail relative to AFO, and how much of that you will be able to hear will depend on your amp and DAC. All three of those headphones are fantastic, BTW, all great all-rounders that sound good with just about anything.

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #8,272 of 12,302
My main concern with the LCD2C is that I might find them a bit too warm and lush.

Comfort is also quite important for me, which I think would be far from ideal with the HE-500.

Well I'd use the headphone for more than the sub genres I listed, but that's my main list. But like mentioned, I do have some concerns with the AFO, compared to the Focal Clear.

Thanks for all the input!

LCD-2C is also extremely heavy, since you mentioned comfort as a concern. FWIW, I’m not a big fan of that headphone.

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #8,273 of 12,302
Hmmm... Those definitely look like a rebrand of the RBH HP-2, but I don't know if they messed with the tuning. I'm not sure if adding Bluetooth would have an effect.

I'm not aware of any other headphones at that price use Beryllium drivers, so they have to be.

They might be a rebrand, or they both might just be a design licensed from some behind-the-scenes OEM.

Jan 2, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #8,274 of 12,302
Nothing wrong with your headphones: that is how Master of Puppets sounds. If you get headphones that make MoP sound great, they are coloring the sound. Brilliant album: horrible, gut-wrenching, horrible production. "And Justice for All" is even worse: no bass at all. The guitars have sibilance!

In my opinion, of course...

thank's a lot , it makes sense and a very useful lesson :)
it's a shame that's so hard to find AKG 240 sexteet and Philips SHP9500S , they are both so good sidegrade for Metal but in italy is like to search for the Holy Grail..

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #8,275 of 12,302
I’m currently looking to add another headphone to my collection, but have a hard time figuring out which best fits with what I’m looking for. I’m not very good at explaining sound, so apologize if I use wrong terms at times.

It seems to be not so popolar here , but actually my best choice for metal il the denon ah d7200...

If you look for punch ... well ... You will have a lot... I didn't listened to afo yet so i cant make comparisons. But I think it is really hard to not like the denon on metal listening... It is also quite easy to drive...

Jan 2, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #8,276 of 12,302

You can find the comparisons of the headphones to the RBH-HP2 in it's thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rbh-hp-2-ultralight-beryllium-headphones.789653/
Here's the model from their website. I don't know why they didn't give it an actual name. https://mo-electronics.com/beryllium-acoustic.html
They were also at CanJam last year and supposedly were a hidden gem tucked away in some corner. Basically, any RBH-HP2 review out there pertains to these headphones and the company claims that the drivers were re-tuned and are an actual updated version of the drivers that the RBH-HP2 uses but others that have heard both have said there is virtually no difference between the two.

As someone who has a pair, I can say the bass is very fun and engaging on these and comparable to the TH-X00 which in my opinion has a more clinical bass to them that sounds more exact. From my own experience, the bass does not bleed into the mids or highs and these are really speedy high resolution headphones for being dynamics. Mids and highs have really great clarity as well. This review really hits the mark on how I feel about these headphones. https://headfonics.com/2017/05/the-hp-2-by-rbh-sound/

They might be a rebrand, or they both might just be a design licensed from some behind-the-scenes OEM.

The M&O version are apparently the only option for awhile, according to email response from I got from RBH on when theirs would be available again:

Hello,
Right now it isn't clear on whether we will be simply restocking or redesigning. Either way, we likely won't have inventory until summer this year. I'll put you on my list to receive an update when we have one.
Thanks,
Jayce Walker

jayce@rbhsound.com

Jan 2, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #8,277 of 12,302
it's a shame that's so hard to find AKG 240 sexteet but in italy is like to search for the Holy Grail..

They come up on eBay quite often and are worth the trouble IMHO.
Theres also a pair of the mid production(my favorite sextett) for sale in the FS/T section of Head-Fi.Might be worth asking seller if he will ship to Italy.

*Note:Sextetts need a pretty strong amp.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #8,278 of 12,302
Half the headphones on the market seem to get compared to the HD650 at one point or another. AFO is more fun, bassy and extended down low, and a little more relaxed in the upper mids relative to the 650. Clear will be a level up in depth layering and detail relative to AFO, and how much of that you will be able to hear will depend on your amp and DAC. All three of those headphones are fantastic, BTW, all great all-rounders that sound good with just about anything.

But do you think the Clear has the kind of speed I'm looking for? Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I have the NAD M51 DAC, and ifi ican pro amp. I sure hope this setup is enough to do the Clears justice, not really looking to change it any time soon.

It seems to be not so popolar here , but actually my best choice for metal il the denon ah d7200...

If you look for punch ... well ... You will have a lot... I didn't listened to afo yet so i cant make comparisons. But I think it is really hard to not like the denon on metal listening... It is also quite easy to drive...

I'd question if the drivers have the speed I'm looking for, but will keep it in mind if I find myself needing a pair of closed cans.

Thanks again!

Jan 2, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #8,279 of 12,302
Maybe find a place to test out headphones cause we can't really pinpoint your tastes. If you want something with speed, clarity and resolution overall, look into getting a used pair of the Hifiman Edition X. Honestly the Clears are in over the top diva FOTM mode at the moment and that'll eventually die down. They are speedy at detail reproduction but probably won't have what you are looking for especially in this genre of music.

Jan 2, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #8,280 of 12,302
Maybe find a place to test out headphones cause we can't really pinpoint your tastes. If you want something with speed, clarity and resolution overall, look into getting a used pair of the Hifiman Edition X. Honestly the Clears are in over the top diva FOTM mode at the moment and that'll eventually die down. They are speedy at detail reproduction but probably won't have what you are looking for especially in this genre of music.

Hifiman Edition X? Is that a joke? The Clear is FAR superior to those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back