Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 6, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #2,626 of 12,302

Well, that just about does it. I think I'm done with this thread, because it's simply not helping me anymore. Firstly, I am not implying that you did not hear what you heard. I respect that others' impressions are genuine, for them. As we all know, personal preference is king. I also appreciate you putting forth the effort to go into such detail comparing all these. But my experience has been completely different. As far as I am concerned, planar magnetic headphones are Beats for audiophiles and not even remotely in the same league as electrostats. I've heard all these headphones (from amps with far more than enough power for any headphone) except for the SR-009 and LCD-4. More importantly, I heard them for hours with my own music across the gamut of genres, and owned the SR-207 and SR-30 for some time. As far as transparency, accuracy and realism goes, the STAX SR-207 outperformed them to such an extent that there is simply no comparison. (Like I said before, "more" is not necessarily better.) The SR-207 sounded like real instruments. The others sounded like decent headphones, but nothing more. I'm really only interested in high-end electrostats nowadays. I'll listen to other stuff if given the opportunity to audition it on my own terms, but won't be wasting my money on what I consider to be overpriced junk. And no, I don't care if others disagree with me. I do this for me and have finally reached the point where I'm not looking for opinions anymore. This thread was fun, but I'm moving on...

Yea, slow down. Neither of you lived with the majority of these headphones. Whether at meet or a place you get an audition, your impressions while not meaningless,
certainly don't hold much weight. From what I've gandered he's the only one who feels the LCD-4 is a top of the line headphone. Everyone else seems to think they're a joke.

Not everyone likes the planar magnetic sound or the STAX presentation. Horses for courses. To truly realize your truth, you'll have to live with these headphones for a while.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #2,627 of 12,302
Yea, slow down. Neither of you lived with the majority of these headphones. Whether at meet or a place you get an audition, your impressions while not meaningless,
certainly don't hold much weight. From what I've gandered he's the only one who feels the LCD-4 is a top of the line headphone. Everyone else seems to think they're a joke.

Not everyone likes the planar magnetic sound or the STAX presentation. Horses for courses. To truly realize your truth, you'll have to live with these headphones for a while.

Yeah, the LCD-4 isn't getting the level of praise I expected. I was totally blown away by it!! That's okay. I'm comfortable enough in my opinions that I don't need others to reinforce them for me.

Again, I have no intention of buying the LCD-4. The price is just stupid. But, in my very humble, 100% subjective opinion, it is the first headphone I've heard that brings together TOTL musicality and TOTL detail into a perfect TOTL package. I was just floored.

HOWEVER, there is a HUGE caveat here. I heard the LCD-4 through a $4,000 DAC and the $4,000 King amp. I have no point of reference to what it sounds like on other systems or what other headphones sound like through that system. So take it with a huge grain of salt. Be skeptical. Try it for yourself. And DO NOT, whatever you do, drop $12,000 on a headphone system just because I was in love with it for 20 minutes at a meet. Unless you are a millionaire that has agreed with me for 1,100 consecutive posts, that would be just downright stupid.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #2,628 of 12,302
Regards the LCD-4 feedback...

If you look at it closely, I really think it is the price point colouring the impressions. If you look only at the sound impressions the consensus, compared to the LCD-3 - better resolution, bigger soundstage, better treble, more neutral FR. Considering the LCD-3f is already extremely good, then it sounds to me like the LCD-4 is a pretty amazing headphone, don't you think?

It is worth the asking price? Well the consensus there is no, and I think that is fair enough. I feel I can agree with that sentiment without even hearing the headphone, since my HE6 compared with teh LCD-3f also has better resolution, bigger soundstage, better treble and a more neutral FR as well as being more comfortable. Compared to the LCD-4 the HE6 also has the advantange of having a proven record of quality with no recurrent driver failures like the LCD-3f.

Put it this way, for the price of the LCD-4 you could have an HE6 and a pair of CMA800R monoblocks that will drive every other headphone well, as well as having a pre-amp out for a speaker setup.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #2,632 of 12,302

Put it this way, for the price of the LCD-4 you could have an HE6 and a pair of CMA800R monoblocks that will drive every other headphone well, as well as having a pre-amp out for a speaker setup.

Stop mentioning the Questyle monoblocks! :) I want them soooo bad, and $4K is soooo much more money than I have.

Seriously, this is probably what I looked like walking out of the Questyle booth:

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #2,633 of 12,302
Oh, and for the record, if I had $4,000, I'd buy the monoblocks over the LCD-4 in a heartbeat. No question at all.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #2,634 of 12,302
  Sorry guys but the price of the LCD-4 is just a joke and you have to be stupid to pay $4000 for a pair of headphones.

I can't say that I disagree. That's crazy money.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #2,635 of 12,302
What are some good headphones for listening or mixing music like travis scott- skyfall I can't post a link but it's rap music if you can listen to please I need a suggestion

What is your budget?

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #2,636 of 12,302
You should keep your money and buy the new Elac F5 speakers and a good amp instead 
wink.gif
  **If you have the space for speakers of course**

http://www.audiostream.com/content/elac-my-favorite-room-rmaf-2015-man-thats-just-crazy#OirqqGMILzAZOv1m.97

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/10/04/rmaf-2015-elac-is-electrifying/

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137722.0

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #2,638 of 12,302
Anyone be able to recommend me a good closed can under $800 for thrash metal / heavy metal?

i like an excellent sub bass, lush mids and a  silky smooth high end with no sibilance.

thanks in advance i apreciate it.

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #2,639 of 12,302
  Anyone be able to recommend me a good closed can under $800 for thrash metal / heavy metal?

i like an excellent sub bass, lush mids and a  silky smooth high end with no sibilance.

thanks in advance i apreciate it.

ZMF Blackwood or FAD Sonorous VI (formerly known as Pandora Hope VI). Don't go near the EL-8C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back