Headphones For Korean Pop
Feb 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #16 of 25
Hello there OP. Don't know if you're still using this site but If you don't mind, how are you getting on with your M50's after you've had them for a while?

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #18 of 25
I'm Listening to SHINee (Lucifer) right now with DT880 Pro's and think they sound fantastic Though I wonder if the DT990 wouldn't be even better but of course neither is closed. Also love TVXQ (Mirotic).

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #19 of 25

Quote:
I'm Listening to SHINee (Lucifer) right now with DT880 Pro's and think they sound fantastic Though I wonder if the DT990 wouldn't be even better but of course neither is closed. Also love TVXQ (Mirotic).

I love those songs. They have a very bass driven sound. Dt880's probably aren't the best for them, but if you're enjoying it that's all that matters. I'm trying to work out whether closed or open cans are better for these types of songs. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #20 of 25

Quote:
I love those songs. They have a very bass driven sound. Dt880's probably aren't the best for them, but if you're enjoying it that's all that matters. I'm trying to work out whether closed or open cans are better for these types of songs. 

I'm not sure why it matters if the headphone is open or closed in regards to sound quality with a particular type of music. I figured the specific qualities of the headphones were more important and it's usually easier for open headphones to sound better in general if they have good bass response. Also my DT880's are modded for more like DT990 level of bass. If I removed a piece of felt in front of the driver than I would essentially have a DT990 which is like the DT880 but with more bass and treble. As for what headphone is best for K-pop? It would be fun to do a face-off, I would try headphones like Denon D5000, Beyer DT990, Ultrasone Pro 900/2900 and such, Maybe Audio-Technica AD2000.

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
I'm not sure why it matters if the headphone is open or closed in regards to sound quality with a particular type of music. I figured the specific qualities of the headphones were more important and it's usually easier for open headphones to sound better in general if they have good bass response. Also my DT880's are modded for more like DT990 level of bass. If I removed a piece of felt in front of the driver than I would essentially have a DT990 which is like the DT880 but with more bass and treble. As for what headphone is best for K-pop? It would be fun to do a face-off, I would try headphones like Denon D5000, Beyer DT990, Ultrasone Pro 900/2900 and such, Maybe Audio-Technica AD2000.

Testing K-pop on super expensive headphones, that would be fun 
k701smile.gif
. I'm unsure about how well they have recorded their songs though. I don't feel like a get a big soundstage. The different parts of the music all sound like they are coming from the same sort of area. That's why I thought maybe closed headphones would be better since they are more intimate anyway and the closed back allows for better bass (I think)

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #23 of 25
The mastering quality on Kpop is really all over the place.  Some songs sound wide and amazing, while others are very poorly done.  I listen almost exclusively to Kpop through DT770 Premium at home and Westone 3 at work.  I think that DT770 suggestion is right on the mark for Kpop.  I currently own a 32 Ohm pair, but I plan to change to a higher impedance and upgrade my DAC and amp (currently E7/E9).  I would love to get myself a DT990 Pro, but I really need the isolation of closed cans to relax while I am listening.

GadoGado is right about the sibilance in the Korean language.  I found that even with DT770 I had to EQ the treble down in foobar2k. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #24 of 25

Quote:
The mastering quality on Kpop is really all over the place.  Some songs sound wide and amazing, while others are very poorly done.  I listen almost exclusively to Kpop through DT770 Premium at home and Westone 3 at work.  I think that DT770 suggestion is right on the mark for Kpop.  I currently own a 32 Ohm pair, but I plan to change to a higher impedance and upgrade my DAC and amp (currently E7/E9).  I would love to get myself a DT990 Pro, but I really need the isolation of closed cans to relax while I am listening.

GadoGado is right about the sibilance in the Korean language.  I found that even with DT770 I had to EQ the treble down in foobar2k. 

Agreed. You'd think with how advance the koreans are they would master their songs properly. A lot of the mainstream bands (SNSD for example) have their voices recessed so you don't really get that exciting feeling, especially when they hit the high notes. And like you said, soundstage is very narrow and one dimensional in some songs. They use quite a lot of different sounds in their songs but because they are all crammed together they don't really get much definition and are drowned out. 

Out of interest which artists do you listen to?

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #25 of 25
I listen to essentially all of the well known artists of the last 10 years, especially the first generation of YG artists, as well as many lesser known artists.  Lately I am getting into some songs from a couple artists that MC Sniper is managing as well as some from a different hip-hop company called Overclass.  I guess I am a pretty big fan of Korean hip-hop, but I really like all genres to a certain degree.

My current favorites are Love-dovey by T-ara and Snipersound vs. Overclass produced by(?) Fame J and featuring 4 rappers from independent labels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back