Headphones for I pod classic 160gb
May 8, 2011 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

trent77

New Head-Fier
Gentlemen: I am new to this forum and would like your expert knowledge in selecting a set of quality headphones to replace the earbuds packaged with the I pod classic.

I am interested in  a set of closed ear headphones as well as a set of "in ear" headphones  that can reproduce a natural, rich and full bodied sound. Some of the headphones I tried in the Apple store in NYC had an unsually booming bass that obfuscated the overall integrity of the music.

Someone at work recommended the Fischer Audio FA-003 Headphones. Browsing the internet, I noticed the highly favorable reviews for the Fischers. As for in-ear headphones, I was told that the Ear Sonics SM3 Universals were excellent.

Primarily the type of music I listen to is Country, Classical, Oldies and Easy Listening.

I would greatly apreciate your assistance in helping me select a suitable pair of closed and in ear headphones.

Thank you.

May 9, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 14
Cefani090: My price range is under $1,000. Can you recommend some closed ear and In ear quality models that would complement the I pod classic. I would prefer ones that would not rely on an amp. Thank you.

May 9, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Cefani090: My price range is under $1,000. Can you recommend some closed ear and In ear quality models that would complement the I pod classic. I would prefer ones that would not rely on an amp. Thank you.

Any of the Denon AH line will do, if you wanted to save money go with the AH-2000 for $150-200 used and buy some Jmoney pads, different ear cups, etc. Or you can go higher end with the AH-7000 and mod them up as listed above. I had the AH-5000 with Jmoney pads, lots of bass if thats what you like. Im perfectly fine with my SE535

May 9, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 14
I know someone who had a problem with bass with the classic and so I looked up the output impedance and saw it's supposed to be a lot higher than a ipod touch. So if you use a very low impedance headphone with the classic you might not get the best sound.

May 9, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 14
Expensive but works well with the Classic - The Sennheiser IE8. (iem)

Closed can if you don't mind them on your ears - Senn HD25 II.

At home and not moving around , I use an Audio Technica A900. Low impedance. Doesn't have to have an amp (although it is better with one) and gives a full sound on the Classic.

Just some ideas - don't take my word as gospel!!

Ian

May 9, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 14
Have you checked the ATH-ES7's?

May 9, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 14
Thank you for all your input gentlemen. I am researching your suggestions for closed and in ear headphones. The sennheiser ie 8 certainly has garned some excellent reviews.

May 12, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #14 of 14
This past week, I had the opportunity to sample the Sennheiser IE8. The sound from my I Pod Classic was much richer. The ear phones were comfortable and I think it will be a good choice for my in-ear phones. I am looking into the many options for the closed ear headphones and wil be able to sample some selections mentioned in this thread tomorrow. Thank you for all your information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back