Headphones for Gaming
Sep 7, 2011 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

arch5

New Head-Fier

So my generic logitech headset broke, and I'm looking for an upgrade - headphones that are good for gaming.

I'm not looking for anything absolutely amazing, I just want headphones that sound great and you can hear a lot of detail, environment sound effects, etc. "Immersive", I guess.

I listen to a variety of music, nothing in particular.

I can afford anything up to $200.

I previously asked around the internet, and the recommendations I got were these:
Audio Technica ATH-AD700
Sennheiser HD555

So, what do you guys think? I will be happy to provide any more information you need asap.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Alright. After looking through those, the Sennheiser HD598 looks like the right one (as for price) and they look comfortable. I guess I'll go for those.

One other thing I should mention is that I do not have a sound card or headphone amp. Just motherboard integrated 3.5mm audio jacks. That's not a problem, is it?

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 8
I just noticed something about the AD700s: their highs are especially loud relative to the other headphones I have around, which just makes the bass deficiency that much more apparent. Can't vouch for or against any other model since I certainly haven't owned or even heard them (unless you're willing to shell out the big bucks for Stax).

It's probably best to upgrade your headphones before your source, though with something on the level of the HD 598, you'll definitely be itching for a sound card soon as the line noise buzzing from just moving your mouse and having hard drive activity going becomes really obvious. If you can, use the rear jacks; the front-panel audio headers in most cases seem especially prone to noise for some reason. (Inadequate shielding, perhaps?)

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:Originally Posted by NamelessPFG /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"....you'll definitely be itching for a sound card soon as the line noise buzzing from just moving your mouse and having hard drive activity going becomes really obvious."

Will that buzzing sound still be audible while playing games, to the point where it is annoying?
If so, I'm not that worried about it- I'll certainly invest in a sound card in the future, though. If there are any sound cards in particular you recommend, let me know.

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Alright. After looking through those, the Sennheiser HD598 looks like the right one (as for price) and they look comfortable. I guess I'll go for those.

One other thing I should mention is that I do not have a sound card or headphone amp. Just motherboard integrated 3.5mm audio jacks. That's not a problem, is it?

Heya,

It will work. You might hear a little noise due to it being connected to the computer (you'll likely hear a whine sound when the fan on the CPU is churning away or when you move a USB mouse, etc). To easily get off that, and get an amp behind those headphones for a little more oumph, get yourself a simple Xonar DG sound card for like $30. Great for gaming, does dobly headphone for positioning, and will amp those HD598's.

Very best,

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 8
Alright, well it looks like I'll be purchasing the HD598, and a sound card also in the future.
I appreciate the help from everybody in this thread. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back