Headphones for drum and bass, dubstep for around 100$, advice?
Aug 30, 2010 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Icyx

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
So today I decided my sony MDR-EX75 just weren't doing it for me anymore and that I wanted some proper full size headphones.
I googled a bit here and there and eventually ended up on this forum which I've been browsing for the past 6 hours. Unfortunately none of the topics really tell me what I want to know ;(

I'm looking for a pair of headphones that will provide me with a load of bass and that I can just plug right in to the computer, but because these will be my first pair I don't really want to pay a crapload of dollars yet :p
I'm willing to pay about 100 to 120$, or a bit more.. depending on if it's really a good investment. (check my 2nd post in here)

Soo.. if anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated :)

I'm from europe btw - if that makes any difference.

Icyx

EDIT:
After spending many hours reading threads on here I've now decided that i want to consider an amp and some headphones that are in the 250$ range, thanks for the good advice though :)

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 23
Welcome to the forums!

Sounds to me like the ATH M50's are right up your ally. I bought mine for ~$115 USD, but I know you can find cheaper deals depending on where you look. They're all-around great bang for your buck, and well known to deliver punchy bass.

I've also heard that the Sony MDR-V6 has good bass, but I've no experience with it to say how it compares. It is a bit cheaper, though. You can probably search for older threads comparing the M50's and other headphones for more information; there's a ton of em out there.

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 23
I don't understand why everyone is recommending the ATH M50...they are purely made out of cheap plastic and to me they don't even sound like they're worth $100+...$80 tops...and that's +tax! I don't even care if you recommend them because if how "cool" you think they might look, but I can name about 10 headphones that are about 10x better for the price and can be used for just about any genre.

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 23
well name it then because im looking for some 100-120 headphone thats good in about any genre.
aside the M50 and the AD700 and the HD555

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 23
I recommend the ATH-M50 also; i recently got my pair and they're awesome! they'll be great for your type of music! if you do buy them, just remember to decide if you want the coiled cable version(ATH-M50) or the 9 foot straight cable version(ATH-M50s).

And yes, I would also like to know the other better headphones for $100.

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #6 of 23
Perhaps the Sony XB700 or XB500?

I own both the xb700 and M50. The M50 just didn't satisfy my bass needs and I listen to a lot of dubstep and DnB.

Actually none of my phones really do, but how can they possibly compare to the huge bass bins in a grimey club that rattle your skeleton!
L3000.gif

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 23
Thanks for the welcome and the advice so far :)
I've been browsing around a little more and so far i've seen the;
ATH-M50,
Sony MDR-V6,
Beyer DT-770 pro and
Senn HD25-1 II
get recommended over and over again. I'm really aiming towards the last 2 at the moment. I know they're more than my stated budget, but seeing them get mentioned over and over again really makes me want to put a lil more money in this.

What do you guys think would be the best option out of these 4, or should I go for something completely different?
I've heard the M50 doesn't really give enough bass from a lot of people.. I'm generally looking for a good punchy bass but I don't want the cans to vibrate off my ears either :x
Also, does the dt770 need to be amped?

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 23

I don't understand why everyone is recommending the ATH M50...they are purely made out of cheap plastic and to me they don't even sound like they're worth $100+...$80 tops...and that's +tax! I don't even care if you recommend them because if how "cool" you think they might look, but I can name about 10 headphones that are about 10x better for the price and can be used for just about any genre.

Although you are entitled to your opinion and I am not a big fan of m50 anymore, I think you are being RIDICULOUS. I doubt there is even 1 head phones with its price that can beat m50. the only ones in the same league or slightly better (like the SHR840) cost way higher almost twice as much for the 840s, and this is the reason why people choose m50 as the slight difference is not worth paying 2x the price. Many people recommended the m50 because for its price, many entry-levels can afford them before they get the bigger boys or higher tiers headphones. And there are tons of headphones that looked more classy than m50, but people buy them more for its SQ and price. *sigh* I just don't get the bashing m50 gets, just because its popular, it does not mean its bad.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
Although you are entitled to your opinion and I am not a big fan of m50 anymore, I think you are being RIDICULOUS. I doubt there is even 1 head phones with its price that can beat m50. the only ones in the same league or slightly better (like the SHR840) cost way higher almost twice as much for the 840s, and this is the reason why people choose m50 as the slight difference is not worth paying 2x the price. Many people recommended the m50 because for its price, many entry-levels can afford them before they get the bigger boys or higher tiers headphones. And there are tons of headphones that looked more classy than m50, but people buy them more for its SQ and price. *sigh* I just don't get the bashing m50 gets, just because its popular, it does not mean its bad.

in the same league (like the SRH840)??
Have you even used both headphones?
They are noway near in the same league and have a completely different feel and sound signature to each other. m50's bass is punchier 840's are not. So I can't even see the comparison.

To Icyx
With dubstep and dnb you want real bass heavy headphones since i do understand what your looking for.
I use M-Audio Q 40's at home and they sound pretty good with these genres. eg (Downlink, Nero)

Never heard the DT770's but I would be interested to hear owners reviews with real bass heavy music

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #13 of 23
I recently got a pair of Shure SRH750DJ's with DnB and dubstep in mind. I've given myself headaches from the lows in songs from Pendulum (hate me if you want, I like Pendulum, dammit.), Sub Focus, Datsik, and PANTyRAID. The bass is really flexible (in my opinion) and have an amazing kick to em. These are my first cans though (I used the defualt ipod pieces of **** before these), so I may be blowing smoke. The $150 price tag may be outside of what you wanna pay, but I think they're beyond worth it.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #15 of 23

For your price range I'd say the Sony XB500 (£35 from amazon) . ATH M-50s cost more in europe atleast £100+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back