Headphones for classical music and video games?
Aug 24, 2010 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

happyguy155

New Head-Fier

Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm looking for some closed unamped cans around the $100-120 mark.  I listen to lots of classical at original cd quality as well as some rock music.  I also play video games but sound quality doesn't really matter as much here.  I tend to like cans with lots of bass (not sure why!) but primarily I want clarity and soundstage.  

What are some options I can look at? I'd rather not stretch the budget to 100 unless it's a big jump in quality and I'm not against buying slightly used.

Forgot to add:
I used to own Sony v6 cans and while they were nice, I was unimpressed and definitely want something superior.  

Are there any wireless headphones that delivery quality? I am very uninformed here.
What are some options I can look at? I'd rather not stretch the budget to 100 unless it's a big jump in quality and I'm not against buying slightly used.Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm looking for some closed cans around the $75 mark.  I listen to lots of classical at original cd quality as well as some rock music.  I also play video games but sound quality doesn't really matter as much here.  I tend to like cans with lots of bass (not sure why!) but primarily I want clarity and soundstage.  

What are some options I can look at? I'd rather not stretch the budget to 100 unless it's a big jump in quality and I'm not against buying slightly used.

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 17
Hello, and welcome.

So, is it absolutely mandatory that you buy closed? Just curious, as the closed market around your price and preference is a bit slim.

My first recommendation was going to be the AD700 by default, but those are open, and I can see you need closed.

I would love to recommend you the M50, but that is $100. That headphone would far exceed all your needs.

Umm, closed $75 headphones are a bit of a rarity. Well, ones that surpass the Sony V6 anyway.

Tell me what you think.

Aug 24, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks for the help.  Yes, I want closed cans.  I frequently listen while other people are around and sometimes I like to study with music, though I always end up just listening to the music :)

Are there any other cans in the 100ish price range? If they really are great, I may be able to shell out a few extra bucks for quality.  

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 17
x2 on the AD700.

To recommend recommend another headphone for your needs would be blasphemy. 

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 17
x3 AD700

x2 M50

lol

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 17
Try the RP-21s and never look back :). Awesome for music and games!

Aug 25, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 17
I will still stand buy the M50 for $100 closed headphone.

I forgot to mention the Creative Aurvana Live, which can be bought around $90. It's has the exact same sound as the D1001, which is $50-$60 more.

Too bad it isn't $60 anymore, like it used to be... Or I would be getting one as well!
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #8 of 17
My understanding is that by going wireless you take a big knock in sound quality for a given budget. Maybe someone more experienced could comment.

Indeed the Creative Aurvana Live! would be a good choice. Comfy for long session; more civilised sound than the Sonys; the bass which is sometimes criticised would generally be less obtrusive for classical. Not so great for isolation though.

Haven't tried the other suggestions. The RP-21 looks good but I've seen some complaints about comfort; so maybe more risky to buy without trying. The M50 looks good. Maybe you'll be tempted to stretch your budget there.

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 17
The comfort issue with the RP-21 can be easily resolved such as with the M50 so no need to have that hold the OP back.

Just need to stretch it overnight or 2 over the box it was packaged, or maybe a stack of books, or around the computer case. Then if needed, add Beyerdynamic Pleather Pads that fit for the 770.

After I did this, I am able to wear these on for hours - heck even a day. Still not where you won't notice them on your head though, since they are a bit heavier than something like the Creative Aurvana Live!

Still, if you are willing to "stretch" your budget a bit, being spending around 90 bucks + pads, then you can't go wrong with these.

Good Luck!

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 17
I don't suggest the ATH headphones to anyone who hears lots of classical. I had heard all AD series and W series of ATH, all of them have very incorrect sound if you compare it with real instruments. Even Denon is better than ATH in classical musics. For classical music, I think Europe and America brands do much better than Japan, for example, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Philips. Since your budget is no more than $100, I would suggest you to try Philips headphones, such as SHP8900 or SHP9000(if you can get it in US). They are semi-open headphones, but generally not bother the people near you, and the semi-open design can profound the soundstage. Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic also do great headphones, but in the price range around $100, I think Philips do even better than them.

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #12 of 17
Thanks for all the help everybody.  I'm looking up some of the options you guys have mentioned.  However, I definitely want closed headphones.  I often study at the library so it would be inappropriate for open cans.

I've also decided to stretch the budget to 120ish.  I will be keeping these headphones for quite a while so I definitely want quality!

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #13 of 17
Not all Audio Technica headphones sound wrong. I think A700s sound quite accurate in the low price range. I think my W1000 and AD2000 don't sound quite right with classical, but I think my ESW10JPN is great with it.

Quote:
I don't suggest the ATH headphones to anyone who hears lots of classical. I had heard all AD series and W series of ATH, all of them have very incorrect sound if you compare it with real instruments. Even Denon is better than ATH in classical musics. For classical music, I think Europe and America brands do much better than Japan, for example, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Philips. Since your budget is no more than $100, I would suggest you to try Philips headphones, such as SHP8900 or SHP9000(if you can get it in US). They are semi-open headphones, but generally not bother the people near you, and the semi-open design can profound the soundstage. Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic also do great headphones, but in the price range around $100, I think Philips do even better than them.

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #15 of 17
If you can find a pair of NIB or Like-New Ultrasone Pro 650 in the "For Sale" section, that would be a nice deal for closed and classical. The soundstage is pretty good on them, and they are a very detailed set of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back