Headphones for both studio and home listening (200$)?
Sep 20, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #61 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by visara
So, I'm now still considering:
Sennheiser HD 600
Audio-Technica ATH-A900
AKG K 270 Studio
Beyerdynamic 250-80

Did you mean K 270 or K 271? Just curious, as there is a big difference...

Oct 3, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #63 of 71
Don't rule the Sony 7506 out. You should be able to get them around $100, they're pretty common, less if you buy used. They're some of the flattest headphones I've heard. The isolation is good enough for DJ'ing in noisy clubs. If you can make stuff sound good on them in the studio, they'll sound good on anything. I'd recommend stopping by futureproducers.com for more reviews on them for production use.

I have the V6, which is very similar, but the treble does not extend as high. The 7506 would be better for production because of this. They are ROCK solid and can withstand any abuse. Just about any source will drive them, including my little Sony minidisc with a single AA battery.

From what I remember, the A900's had slightly better treble than the 7506, but they were not overly bright like Grados. The HD600's just didn't have good treble and seemed a bit muddy to me with their lower midrange and bass response. I would consider the 7506 the flattest I've heard, but unfortunately I haven't heard any AKG's except the wonderful K1000.

Oct 3, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #64 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by patricklang
I have the V6, which is very similar, but the treble does not extend as high. The 7506 would be better for production because of this.

This is the first time I've read that there is a difference in sound quality between V6 and 7506. My understanding was that the difference was in the target market and related marketing, like the Shure E2 and E2C. Thanks for the info. What is your reference for this information?

Oct 3, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #65 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
This is the first time I've read that there is a difference in sound quality between V6 and 7506. My understanding was that the difference was in the target market and related marketing, like the Shure E2 and E2C. Thanks for the info. What is your reference for this information?

At the Seattle meet back in August, Phil (PPL) had a pair of 7506's. We were talking about them, and he claimed they were different from the V6. I had my V6's with me, so I A-B'd them on xanadu777's PPA (don't remember source). I listened to some stuff from Muse's Absolution CD and one of my Juno Reactor cds. The upper midrange was clearer on the 7506 and the treble extended very noticably higher. The treble was not exciting, but sounded rather natural to me. It made the V6 sound muffled.

I don't know how old his 7506's were or how many hours were on them. My V6's are about 4 years old and were my primary listening phone for two of those years. There's a chance I could have damaged them during that time since I used them for dj'ing as well, but the sides are still perfectly uniform, so I don't think there is any damage to my V6's.

You may want to PM PPL and see if he owns the V6 as well. I cannot remember if he does or not.

Anyway, I wouldn't make a purchase until you get a chance to listen to a 7506 if you're looking for a studio phone. Guitar Center and many chains carry them in-store.

(edit)
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. One downside to the V6/7506 is that they are closed, and don't have the best imaging. I would place the Senn 580, 600, and of course AKG's over them for imaging. I generally prefer my current Grado's for listening over the V6 because I like the better imaging and I'm a treble-head when it comes to rock. I want those cymbals to be painful when I crank it.

Oct 4, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #66 of 71
patricklang,

I appreciate the detailed response. I just got a pair of HD25 so I'm no longer in the market for a good set of cans in this category. I was however curious about the difference between the V6 and 7506, so thanks for making that post.

Oct 5, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #67 of 71
Quote:

patricklang,

I appreciate the detailed response. I just got a pair of HD25 so I'm no longer in the market for a good set of cans in this category. I was however curious about the difference between the V6 and 7506, so thanks for making that post.

Those also got good recommendations on futureproducers, but I recall some people had complaints about the fit. How do they fit on you? I've only used the larger Senn's like the 280 and 600, which don't touch my ears at all.

Oct 5, 2004 at 12:30 PM Post #68 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by patricklang
How do they fit on you?

They're a bit tight and warm. They're fine for about an hour or so, then I have to reposition them. They're not the most comfortable cans but they're not unbearable either.

Oct 6, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #69 of 71
Quote:

They're a bit tight and warm. They're fine for about an hour or so, then I have to reposition them. They're not the most comfortable cans but they're not unbearable either.

Where did you purchase them from and how much if you don't mind? After much reading, I think these are the cans for me!
icon10.gif

Oct 6, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #70 of 71
I bought them used in the "for sale" forum. I waited pretty patiently for a pair to show up. You can find them for $150 or less there, but you must be patient.

Oct 6, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #71 of 71
For both studio and home use I think something like the AT A900 would suit, somehow the AT ATH A900 seem to have found a nice middle ground that seems pleasing to everyone. They are comfy to wear, but are on the large size. 'm not sure if they are neutral emough.

The AKG K271s is great for studio use, because it has great mids and seems to be made to go well when plugged into a mixer or console. I find the mid bass a bit missing for general use, but other than that I think they are great pro quality headphones. I find them a bit uncomfortable when used for extended listening sessions.

The Hd25-1 seem to be the right sound for studio use but I think they are too small. What full size headphones sound like the HD25-1?

I would think that for studio monitoring, speakers should come first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back