Headphones + Clip/ Headset for gaming
Jul 24, 2012 at 1:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

gravecross

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

I've been doing alot of research on the headsets and headphones + clip on but I still can't figure what to get. My spending limit is 180 or so. I've looked at the PC360s even tho there a bit out of my range and my dad who is a computer guy has shown me TB's z26a or something like that. My issue is I don't have a stand alone sound card but my motherboards sound card supports 7.1 I do not know if that's very relevant or not.

Please help me figure something out soon, I've been playing ArmA II : DayZ and about to play battlefield 3 without a headset and just cheapo "Inked or SC" earbuds.

I've also had alot of issues regarding the audio terms as I am not very wise in audio. I'm not normally one to dive into such but if ya'll could clear up the terms that are used in audio that would be great.

I also can not get a mix amp. I'm looking for a headset/headphone + clip on which allows me to hear everything and tell the distance/direction I know it might be alot to ask for within my spending limit. Another thing I'm a bit confused on is I see people talking about 5.1 real, 5.1 sim 7.1 sim and all these others I know what SS is but I'm not sure on which is better to use in terms of direction and location of enemys/gunfire ect. I do not play to use these for anything else but gaming. I play everything even tho the title says "For FPS". 

I have also read the article that Mad Lust Envy I think was his name posted about headphones/headset. My main issue is I do not wish to get a mixamp.

If you need anymore infomation please post I'll be checking it every 5-10 minutes. Thank you everyone.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 17
No, but I asked my friend about it and he said if I don't have a set of headphones/headset I'll be in trouble on some servers in terms of communcation. That and I really don't have anyone to play it with. He's grown tired of it so we play DayZ til I can get some cans

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
No, but I asked my friend about it and he said if I don't have a set of headphones/headset I'll be in trouble on some servers in terms of communcation. That and I really don't have anyone to play it with. He's grown tired of it so we play DayZ til I can get some cans

TBH I don't think you really need that good a headphone for ArmA 2. The sound positioning in the game is somewhat lacking.

Ex. Face a chopper, and the "whup-whup" sound is coming from the front. Now turn, and turn, until you're a full 90 degrees away from the chopper. Only then would the sound come from the left or right. There's no in-between, like if I was 45 degrees away from the chopper. That's obviously the fault of the game, not the headphone.

More useful way to track enemy movement (or lack of): tracer rounds, muzzle flash, trailing smoke, and good ol' binoculars.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #6 of 17
Still, I'd like to find some good ones yet no one seems to be posting. I'd like to get the best within my range in terms of gaming. Because I like to have that extra edge and just the immerson in terms of explosions and stuff from battlefield.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
Still, I'd like to find some good ones yet no one seems to be posting. I'd like to get the best within my range in terms of gaming. Because I like to have that extra edge and just the immerson in terms of explosions and stuff from battlefield.

ArmA 2 is not BF3. The maps are massive, making it very hard to pinpoint enemy positions just through sound alone. The immersion in ArmA 2 isn't from mere sound effects and graphics; it's the flexibility of your maneuvers and formations which make it very worthwhile. Which means: if you don't quickly learn and adapt, you're going to hate the game.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 17
I love the game don't get me wrong, I've played Arma for a bit now and I understand it's nothing like battlefield's maps. I just wana find a pair a good cans that I can a afford and get some idea of how 5.1 and the things I posted work. But no one but you seems to be posting.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 17
Motherboard's built in audio is usually barely decent quality.
Really low cost DACs are used in motherboards

Options
Samson SR850 semi-open headphones, $60
Asus Xonar DG sound card, $16-$26

Used Senn HD558, $102
Asus Xonar DG , $16-$26

Samson SR850, $60
Creative Recon3D, $70

Used Senn HD558, $102
Creative Recon3D, $70

Samson SR850, $60
Creative titanium HD, $118

Not sure what to recommend as a mic.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
Motherboard's built in audio is usually barely decent quality.
Really low cost DACs are used in motherboards

Options
Samson SR850 semi-open headphones, $60
Asus Xonar DG sound card, $16-$26

Used Senn HD558, $102
Asus Xonar DG , $16-$26

Samson SR850, $60
Creative Recon3D, $70

Used Senn HD558, $102
Creative Recon3D, $70

Samson SR850, $60
Creative titanium HD, $118

Not sure what to recommend as a mic.

There's the Antlion Modmic, but not sure about sound quality. There's also that Zalman ZM-Mic1, which I also have no experience with.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #11 of 17
\o\ another person, I've seen the zalmen mic on another post and i checked it out it looked fine but again, for me right now who knows little to nothing about standalone headphones and mix amp and all this other stuff is kinda confused. Also what is a DAC when using terms please explain them.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 17
Another option I'm thinking of is for now getting a headset of some kinda be it PC360 or the TB and then later on getting a stand alone audio card. If you could also list some decent or pretty nice headsets that would work as well much less cords considering I don't have a lot of room atm. Also in terms of audio when it comes to people advertising Real 5.1 does that help with positioning in a game from a gunfire shot to sound in general.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
\o\ another person, I've seen the zalmen mic on another post and i checked it out it looked fine but again, for me right now who knows little to nothing about standalone headphones and mix amp and all this other stuff is kinda confused. Also what is a DAC when using terms please explain them.

DAC, Digital to Analog Converter,
Audio (nowadays) stored in a digital (zero & ones) form.
Amplifier are analog (wave).
We hear in analog (wave).
Anything device that stores and/or plays audio will have a DAC in it.
TVs, Stereos, mp3 players, ipods, ipads, iphones, cell phones, computers, etc.

motherboards come with very low cost DACs
Sound cards come with decent to good DACs
External DACs are good to great DACs

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
Another option I'm thinking of is for now getting a headset of some kinda be it PC360 or the TB and then later on getting a stand alone audio card. If you could also list some decent or pretty nice headsets that would work as well much less cords considering I don't have a lot of room atm. Also in terms of audio when it comes to people advertising Real 5.1 does that help with positioning in a game from a gunfire shot to sound in general.

FPS (First Person Shooters) are very dependant on surround sound (5.1, 7.1, etc).

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #15 of 17
So, it would be wise if I don't want to get a card to get the TBs? that have "True 5.1 Channel" or so they say? or would you rec another pair and then after I want to upgrade get a DAC? or card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back