Headphones better than the Beats by Dr. Dre?
Mar 6, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #16 of 37

Quote:
Correction, anything in the 15 to 300 dollar range will sound better than the Beats.

lol
koss porta pro? 

Probably yes. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #17 of 37
I admit, when I heard the beats they were alot *worse* than I expected and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:
The Beats are ridiculous to me because (2) they have the active noise cancellation (which I really don't like at all, ever), (2) you must use it when listening to music, and (3) when the batteries (in the headphones) die, you can't listen to music before replacing them. Oh and (4) price/SQ ratio sucks like donkey balls.

All Beats are not noise canceling.

Correction: NOT ALL Beats are noise-cancelling. Some are.
http://beatsbydre.com/products/Products.aspx?pid=B3808&cat=1

Mar 7, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Beats are ridiculous to me because (2) they have the active noise cancellation (which I really don't like at all, ever), (2) you must use it when listening to music, and (3) when the batteries (in the headphones) die, you can't listen to music before replacing them. Oh and (4) price/SQ ratio sucks like donkey balls.

All Beats are not noise canceling.

Correction: NOT ALL Beats are noise-cancelling. Some are.
http://beatsbydre.com/products/Products.aspx?pid=B3808&cat=1

You must be working on that post count. 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 7, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #20 of 37
Dre may have pioneered the way with alternative income for performing artists, but I think 50 cent went about it with quite a bit more brains. He chose sleek audio with existing experience in the portable-Fi world and one of the few with a proper wireless system.. I'm not saying its definitely gonna sound good, but if I was looking to buy a nice set of cans now, I'd wait till I hear that..

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #21 of 37
Croozer: was that really necessary?

You misinformed thread, and I clarified the info. I was trying to help. If that's really so frivolous a post as to be only good for increasing post count, show me how.

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #22 of 37
Some of the ones mentioned in this thread arent noise cancelling.

I'm about to purchase the Beats by Dre headphones but so many people claim there are others just as good or better for a cheaper price. Can you guys give me examples to check out?

I'm looking for 4 key things:

1) Noise cancellation. Since i will be wearing these on the go this is important.

2) Bass. 99.99 percent of my music collection is hiphop and downtempo so I'm a big fan of this.

3) Nuances and intricate sounds. As mentioned above, I listen to downtempo so i would like headphones that could bring out sounds that I wouldnt notice on average headphones.

4) Style. Since I will be wearing these outdoors i'm looking for something that looks good. I'd also prefer something small and not too bulky if possible.

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #23 of 37
I honestly do not think the m50s are a good recommendation for the beats alternative in this case. While they do have strong bass, I just think there are a lot more bassier cans that will serve TC better. Especially since his limit is 300. Some ultrasones or denon 2000s will be better.

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #24 of 37

Quote:
lol
koss porta pro? 

Probably yes. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

No. 

Quote:
I honestly do not think the m50s are a good recommendation for the beats alternative in this case. While they do have strong bass, I just think there are a lot more bassier cans that will serve TC better. Especially since his limit is 300. Some ultrasones or denon 2000s will be better.

M50s have more bass than Dr dre, and isolates better. D2000 will probably be to bulky and will note isolate good enough for the TC. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #25 of 37
No. 

M50s have more bass than Dr dre, and isolates better. D2000 will probably be to bulky and will note isolate good enough for the TC. 

More bass? No, no they dont. Better extension and tighter more accurate bass? Oh hell yeah, for sure. But, there are still a lot more bassier cans for hip hop and rap that im sure we can give to TC that will better satisfy his needs. The denons are probably too big for outdoor use and I did not take that into account. Hell, I'd probably think he'd be more satisfied with the XB500 than the M50. But all and all, given the price, I think the ultrasone will be better for him. I wis malval would come here and help us out.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #26 of 37
Oh and as far as noise cancelling goes, no good headphone uses active noise cancelling. A good pair of sealed headphones will provide plenty of isolation for you.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #27 of 37

Quote:
Some of the ones mentioned in this thread arent noise cancelling.

I'm about to purchase the Beats by Dre headphones but so many people claim there are others just as good or better for a cheaper price. Can you guys give me examples to check out?

I'm looking for 4 key things:

1) Noise cancellation. Since i will be wearing these on the go this is important.

2) Bass. 99.99 percent of my music collection is hiphop and downtempo so I'm a big fan of this.

3) Nuances and intricate sounds. As mentioned above, I listen to downtempo so i would like headphones that could bring out sounds that I wouldnt notice on average headphones.

4) Style. Since I will be wearing these outdoors i'm looking for something that looks good. I'd also prefer something small and not too bulky if possible.

1 and 3 are at odds with each other.  Almost none of the headphones that have great clarity and detail are also noise cancelling.  However, finding headphones with good isolation from outside noises is much more doable.  For style you'll have to look at some images of various recommended cans and see if you like how they like. 

But for cans with bass comparable to the Beats, but with detail, clarity, and isolation, I'd take a look into the Ultrasone HFI-580, Beyerdynamic DT-770, M-Audio Q40, AKG K518DJ, and Phiaton MS400.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #29 of 37

Quote:
More bass? No, no they dont. Better extension and tighter more accurate bass? Oh hell yeah, for sure. But, there are still a lot more bassier cans for hip hop and rap that im sure we can give to TC that will better satisfy his needs. The denons are probably too big for outdoor use and I did not take that into account. Hell, I'd probably think he'd be more satisfied with the XB500 than the M50. But all and all, given the price, I think the ultrasone will be better for him. I wis malval would come here and help us out.

I have a beats studio and listened to M50s. They have more bass as in thicker, fuller sounding bass. Compared, Beats sound crisper and thinner in the lower mids/upper bass. 

And yes there are probably way bassier cans out there but since I don't like bassy headphones and therefore don't really care for auditioning them I'm afraid I can't give any other recommendations. :/

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #30 of 37
Crisper and thinner? Umm those are two words are probably not something i can agree on. Where the beats have bass, its big, boomy, and loose with little sense of detail. Except in the sub bass region, the m50s have relatively thinner bass with less impact to me. They're intended to be studio monitors so I would like to think they formulated them that way for a reason. So for a true basshead, I cant see one being 100% satisfied with the m50. And worse off, with lesser sources, I think their bass is one of the first things to go. Listening to them out my phone at the moment and the bass is pretty thin in comparison to my home source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back