Headphones and Sound improvement recommendations
Jun 30, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #17 of 24
hmm i will buy the ad 700's later...if i can find a used one. What about the beyer dt 990's? are they better suited to my purpose than the 770's, espescially because of the better soundstage? no one has said anything abo

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #18 of 24
The 990s are great if you like your treble.  They've got plenty of deep, tight bass, and great soundstaging.  They're great with hip-hop and similar genres, good for rock and metal, but not as much for classical unless you like low volumes, or ear piercing violins.  The treble peak is just too much for me though.  It's quite smooth, but you may find there to be too much.

Also, if you decide on the 990s, make sure to get the 600 ohm premium version.  (Beyer has the most confusing lineup ever...)  The 990/250s are the only hi-fi headphone I've ever heard that I really disliked.  There are plenty that just don't fit with my tastes, but the 990/250s just plain suck.  The bass sounds like a large piece of sheet metal flapping in the breeze, the mids are buried under 6 feet of wet clay, and the highs are like nails on a chalkboard.  The 990/600s are quite good though.  I would have kept them for gaming and techo-ish music, but I can't justify two pairs of higher end headphones at the moment.  You'll likely need an amp for them, but it doesn't have to be expensive.

The Denon D2000s are also worth considering.  They have the bass needed for explosions and what not in movies and games, along with decent soundstaging.  The bass isn't as tight as on the 990/600s, but it's still quite good.  I found the highs a little rough for my tastes, but I'm very sensitive to that sort of thing.  You'll probably want an amp for the D2000s as well, to tighten up the bass, but it doesn't have to be anything fancy.  A decent receiver with a headphone jack will probably do it for either one.  If you already have one, it's worth checking out before you commit to a dedicated headphone amp.

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
The AD700's will do great for movies and games (very wide sound-stage - impressive for the price), but only if you can live without the deep bass impact.

Yup...still very very undecided. Hey azathoth, i saw somewhere else that you bought the dt 150's this year, can you compare them to a dt 770 with regards to gaming and movies especially, cannot really be bothered with music for the moment (though i heard the 150's are good for that). Maybe someone else can comment on this.
I'm kinda fed up lol as i have been researching since may and its becoming a bad time consuming habit. I'm thinking of an upgrade path like jvc rx700/900--->beyerdynamic dt 770/880/990/150---->akg k701. But time will tell if i can afford to do that. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #21 of 24
I've bought the Beyer Dt 150 and a mixamp mainly for gaming, and the occasional movie and music listening...mainly because it can be used to a reasonable extent for all 3 and i will not be dabbling into proper dacs or amps for at least a few months. I plan to buy either the audinst mx-1, maverick dac/amp, m-stage amp or the schiit valhalla in the near future. Thanks for all your help 

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #22 of 24
A good choice--I think you'll enjoy them.

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #23 of 24
Thanks joel....sigh..still waiting
angry_face.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #24 of 24
Got my new headphones...not too fussed about burning in but i have for about 20 hours and they sound the same to me....very good....played a few games, and watched a movie too...vocals are definately more audible than my cheap plantronics headset and the bass too 
L3000.gif
....will continue burn in for whats its worth as i use it...thnx ya'll

Users who are viewing this thread

Back